Olympics: UPDATE: USA Hockey D replacements - Whitney and Gleason

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Precisely. The IIHF rules are in place to stop what Tyler Myers did which is represent the US and then a year later represent Canada after not making the US Under 18 WC team (rumor).

If that story about being cut from the US team is true.. what a burn for team USA. I could see him & Doughty being our #1 & #2 defensemen for years to come in the Olympics.. and all this because the US cut him once?

Note - my apologies for setting in motion a thread hijacking.. that wasn't my intention. We Canadians hijack too many threads around here as it is.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
USA Hockey has not released the names of everyone participating in the program.

That's because it will never be released to the masses for privacy reasons.

So I guess my question is, cam someone confirm that Yandle wasn't among the apporximately 50 players who were tested? Or are people just assuming he's ineligible because he wasn't invited to camp?

Read the article in the first post of this thread. The info is there.

gbgamblers23

May 26, 2008
I know i'm in the minority here but does anyone else think someone like mark stuart would be a good replacement for one of the spots.

To me at least he just seems like the perfect kind of player to replace a paul martin's leadership qualities and the shutdown ability of komisarek (personally i think he's better than komisarek)

He also adds that grit a good contender needs and has a good amount of international experience and success on the level like winning the Gold in the 2004 world juniors while captaining team USA.

I don't know maybe i'm off base here and he's not the kind of guy who you can just look at a stat sheet and call a shoe in but i think he'de be a pretty good replacement.

Danny Woodhead

Jul 10, 2007
South Boston
Again....Yandle is not eligible because he wasn't in the drug testing program, which included more than just those at the evaluation camp. Yandle himself has confirmed that he wasn't in the drug testing program. USA Hockey has not released the names of everyone participating in the program.

Thanks, thats the confirmation I was looking for.

Danny Woodhead

Jul 10, 2007
South Boston
I know i'm in the minority here but does anyone else think someone like mark stuart would be a good replacement for one of the spots.

To me at least he just seems like the perfect kind of player to replace a paul martin's leadership qualities and the shutdown ability of komisarek (personally i think he's better than komisarek)

He also adds that grit a good contender needs and has a good amount of international experience and success on the level like winning the Gold in the 2004 world juniors while captaining team USA.

I don't know maybe i'm off base here and he's not the kind of guy who you can just look at a stat sheet and call a shoe in but i think he'de be a pretty good replacement.

I agree, but he just had surgery on his finger the other day, and will miss 4 weeks.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If that story about being cut from the US team is true.. what a burn for team USA. I could see him & Doughty being our #1 & #2 defensemen for years to come in the Olympics.. and all this because the US cut him once?

I don't know how valid that rumor is but it was a rumor at the time because the US sends the USNTDP U-18 Team to the Under 18 WJC so they only added one non NTDP d-man and that was Aaron Ness.

IIRC, Myers also got his Canadian citizenship right before this tournament and was thus added to Canada's squad, in the first IIHF eligible event, and thus locking him into Canada.

It's funny how things play out because I don't remember too many people on either side caring one way or the other. I actually remember the Pominville switch getting a lot more attention later that year. Now Team USA would kill to have Myers back. Canada would kill to keep him and neither give a damn about Pominville :laugh:

Last edited:

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
My two cents on this IIHF and Myers.

It's all moot, Myers is on record basically saying nthat his time in Canada shaped his life, and gave him the opportunity to play hockey. (seriously does anybody think he would develop into an NHL player in Texas?)

2nd unless he stagnates or declines as a player, and Betman doesn't kill the NHL/Olympics partnership he is going to make the Olympic team for Canada. Sometime in his career,

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If this is true, then consider us even for the Brett Hull fiasco ;)

Haha. I'd love to have Myers in the fold for USA Hockey going forward but it's not really a big deal to me. As you pointed out, it goes both ways. The US no doubt has benefited from dual citizens more but Canada is starting to make some in roads on getting some duals to go in there favor as well.

I'm sure when Myers made his decision to join Canada a few years back he didn't think he'd be in contention for either Olympic team in 2010 regardless. I'm sure his focus was only on the idea of playing for the Canadian WJC, which is understandable.

I don't necessarily fully buy his explanation on why he represented Canada but I can respect it and if it's true, I'm glad he did.

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
I dont follow the drug test rules but why cant they just test him now if hes clean why would it matter.

Because steroid use (for instance) has an effect before the games to build you up, but then doesn't show at the games. That's why all Olympic athletes are required to be tested about 2 months PRIOR to the games.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I hate people that only use +/- as their only argument, I guess Scott Neidermayer isn't worthy of playing for team Canada then.

It's not my only argument, and I'm not even saying he shouldn't be on the team. Just pointing out that it's ironic you think Whitney - who's bigger, stronger, has more points, and is better defensively than Johnson - is a horrible choice.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
:facepalm:

No, the right to regulate the tournament comes from the fact that they run the tournament. They run the tournament, because the IOC sees it fit to allow the bigest and most reputable international hockey federation run the tournament. You run a business? You get to choose how you run that business. They run the tournament? They make the rules.
There's no God Given right to be able to participate in the Olympic Tournament for whatever team the person wants, so no, it's not just an individual choice.

As a duel citizen, Tyler Myers had the right to choose what country he played for. He made that choice and now has to live with that choice.

That has nothing to do with the validity of the rule. You make an argument that automatically takes choices freely made away from participants. That on its own is bad policy. More choice = more competition, I tend to believe that these restrictions are far more about protecting someones turf than anything else. I challenge anyone to come up with a realistic scenario that shows how restriciting choice would help the level of competition instead of improving it, while also allowing people to excercise legitimate freedom of choice.

Slaveowners ran businesses and made the rules, want to argue how great of an idea that was.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That has nothing to do with the validity of the rule. You make an argument that automatically takes choices freely made away from participants. That on its own is bad policy. More choice = more competition, I tend to believe that these restrictions are far more about protecting someones turf than anything else. I challenge anyone to come up with a realistic scenario that shows how restriciting choice would help the level of competition instead of improving it, while also allowing people to excercise legitimate freedom of choice.

Slaveowners ran businesses and made the rules, want to argue how great of an idea that was.

If athletes were allowed to freely change the country they want to represent then you'd see a plethora of mercenarys who'll change citizenship for money jsut like in athletics with Kenyan long distance runners suddenly deciding they want to repesent the UAE or Dubai or Yemen. Are you really trying to tell me you want to see e.g. Taylor Hall playing one year for Canada, the next for USA and the next for Russia?

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
If athletes were allowed to freely change the country they want to represent then you'd see a plethora of mercenarys who'll change citizenship for money jsut like in athletics with Kenyan long distance runners suddenly deciding they want to repesent the UAE or Dubai or Yemen. Are you really trying to tell me you want to see e.g. Taylor Hall playing one year for Canada, the next for USA and the next for Russia?

But come on, think about the slaves!

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
If athletes were allowed to freely change the country they want to represent then you'd see a plethora of mercenarys who'll change citizenship for money jsut like in athletics with Kenyan long distance runners suddenly deciding they want to repesent the UAE or Dubai or Yemen. Are you really trying to tell me you want to see e.g. Taylor Hall playing one year for Canada, the next for USA and the next for Russia?[/QUOTE]

On principle, thats not for you, me or a group of "athletic power elites" to decide. That should be up to the athlete and the government granting citizenship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad