UPDATE 3/31- NEWSDAY - Coliseum gets $6M for renovation to host Isles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Belief was Moses was an elitist, didn't want "poor people" to be able to travel easily to the parks and beaches in the suburbs, or even move out there.

Which can explain why the overpasses on the Northern, Southern, Meadowbrook and Wantagh Parkways all have low clearances. That would keep buses off those parkways that lead to beach areas and keep the unwashed masses away from Long Island.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well actually Christie closed Izod because his buddy Jerry Jones runs the concessions business (along with the Yankees) over at Prudential Center, but that's a whole other discussion

Not to mention that Prudential Center had all the bells and whistles a pro team needs to survive today. Izod Center, like Nassau Coliseum does not and became obsolete. Neither are capable of hosting a pro team as an anchor tenant.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Majority privately financed. Malkin & Ledecky, Sterling Equities and Oak View Group should be the investors.

If they can come up with the money more power to them, would be great for the Islanders and for the NYR/NJD/NYI rivalries. I just question their ability to raise the funds. Sterling (Mets/Wilpons) wanted to build an arena in Flushing but it was to be a centerpiece of a new shopping/residential complex also tied to Citi Field - the arena itself wasn't enough to get the project through. I imagine they'll try to push something similar at Belmont. Let's see what they come up with in the RFP and what they expect the government to chip in and how realistic their credit lines are

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why do they need hotels near the arena? isles fans make a point at staying at the Marriot? There are what, 4 bars near the coliseum? Champions inside the Marriot (if it is even still there), whatever Bogart's is now called, whatever McHebe's is called now. Are you going to count Borelli's or the Fridays on Merrick Ave? What restaurants? McDonalds? The Wendys down Hempstead Tpke? Coliseum Deli? Please, let's not act as if Nassau Coliseum is in Wrigleyville.

To say noone cares about the sport in this area is ridiculous. NYC metro has over 20 million people, they can support 3 teams.

The hotel at the race track is going to be in just about any bid submitted. In keeping with the RFP's spirit of Belmont Park becoming a gateway to Long Island and an entertainment/dining destination it seems like a hotel behind the backstretch is wanted. Would keep everyone from trying to book the Garden City Hotel at Belmont Stakes time and could also serve as a lodging midpoint between JFK and LaGuardia Airports.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
... could also serve as a lodging midpoint between JFK and LaGuardia Airports.
Now that's completely far fetched. Nobody in their right minds is taking the Belt/Cross Island to get to Laguardia. There's plenty of hotel options around JFK, Laguardia, and in between along the Van Wyck/GCP

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Stoneham was also in discussion to go to Minnesota. Giants, from what I understand, had become the clear 3rd team in the market and wanted out, with or without O'Malley.

Giants only drew when they played Brooklyn. Here are the figures for 1956

http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Years/1956/Attendance.asp

Polo Grounds was in Harlem and it was a few blocks from the nearest subway station and night games were a problem. There was also the problem of 3 teams in the city and usually when the Giants played either the Yankees and Dodgers were home as well. In those days all 3 NYC teams televised every home and very few road ones.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...7c7960e3c9b737!8m2!3d40.8299488!4d-73.9374058

The Giants could not capitalize on winning the World Series in 1954 in attracting more fans. Owners looked at amazement with the crowds Milwaukee was drawing after the Braves moved from Boston and teams started moving.

Getting back to the Islanders I do believe New York can support another arena simply because of the huge number of people in the market but Barclays has not been the gold mine I thought it would be. The only thing certain is the current owners are not Charles Wang which by itself is a huge plus.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why do they need hotels near the arena? isles fans make a point at staying at the Marriot? There are what, 4 bars near the coliseum? Champions inside the Marriot (if it is even still there), whatever Bogart's is now called, whatever McHebe's is called now. Are you going to count Borelli's or the Fridays on Merrick Ave? What restaurants? McDonalds? The Wendys down Hempstead Tpke? Coliseum Deli? Please, let's not act as if Nassau Coliseum is in Wrigleyville.

To say noone cares about the sport in this area is ridiculous. NYC metro has over 20 million people, they can support 3 teams.

Champions is gone. :cry: Enjoyed a lot of hockey talk with media people there as there really was nothing else.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Now that's completely far fetched. Nobody in their right minds is taking the Belt/Cross Island to get to Laguardia. There's plenty of hotel options around JFK, Laguardia, and in between along the Van Wyck/GCP

No you wouldn't use the Cross Island to LaGuardia. But Belmont is only 3 miles south of the Grand Central Parkway which you would use to get to LaGuardia.

I'm not holding out that a hotel here would be a business traveler's first choice, but one thing a hotel at Belmont would have is a rail link to Manhattan on the property, assuming the MTA makes the commitment to turn the Belmont Spur into a full time service should the Islanders win the RFP. None of the airport hotels near Kennedy or LaGuardia have public transportation close by without having to take a courtesy van to a subway station.

A hotel at Belmont used by airport travelers is not as far fetched as you make it out to be.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Would it? They would still be the number one fan. The islanders are cutting themselves off from a growing fanbase in those areas too by going to belmont. This just seems like an escape for Penn Station.

Westchester and CT are Rangers territory. The Islanders have very few fans there. Growing up in Westchester and CT I met 2 Islanders fans.

The Knicks have most of the tri-state area, so they would still draw in Belmont. But you have to consider the corporate/high net worth base. Westchester has 8 Fortune 500 HQs, Fairfield County has several (on top of many hedge funds). Getting from Westchester/CT to Long Island is a nightmare even on a weekend. Try doing it after work. If you work in Westchester and want to go to a game after work, getting to MSG isn't bad. If you work in the city and live in Westchester or CT getting home after a game isn't bad either. Commuting to LI is just horrible. I used to joke that the reason I wound up living in LI my last year and a half in NY was because god was punishing me for the years I made fun of the place.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Westchester and CT are Rangers territory. The Islanders have very few fans there. Growing up in Westchester and CT I met 2 Islanders fans.

The Knicks have most of the tri-state area, so they would still draw in Belmont. But you have to consider the corporate/high net worth base. Westchester has 8 Fortune 500 HQs, Fairfield County has several (on top of many hedge funds). Getting from Westchester/CT to Long Island is a nightmare even on a weekend. Try doing it after work. If you work in Westchester and want to go to a game after work, getting to MSG isn't bad. If you work in the city and live in Westchester or CT getting home after a game isn't bad either. Commuting to LI is just horrible. I used to joke that the reason I wound up living in LI my last year and a half in NY was because god was punishing me for the years I made fun of the place.

:laugh: LI is a tough place I've heard on these boards, for sure. But I'm just looking at this plan and it looks all too convenient imo. Like the pieces just fit all together.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Giants only drew when they played Brooklyn. Here are the figures for 1956

http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Years/1956/Attendance.asp

Polo Grounds was in Harlem and it was a few blocks from the nearest subway station and night games were a problem. There was also the problem of 3 teams in the city and usually when the Giants played either the Yankees and Dodgers were home as well. In those days all 3 NYC teams televised every home and very few road ones.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...7c7960e3c9b737!8m2!3d40.8299488!4d-73.9374058

The Giants could not capitalize on winning the World Series in 1954 in attracting more fans. Owners looked at amazement with the crowds Milwaukee was drawing after the Braves moved from Boston and teams started moving.

Getting back to the Islanders I do believe New York can support another arena simply because of the huge number of people in the market but Barclays has not been the gold mine I thought it would be. The only thing certain is the current owners are not Charles Wang which by itself is a huge plus.
Well I mean it's busy as all heck

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I can. I remember in Jr High girls in my school going to New Kids in all 3 venues. The boy band that pops up in the next 5 years will be able to do the same. Metallica and bands like Motley Crue back in the day would do all 3.

Yeah but you're talking 25 years ago. Music is much more fragmented now and concerts are more expensive. The only acts who could pull that off now are ones like Springsteen, U2, Billy Joel, etc. Those are bands whose fan base crosses more than one generation. Even if they could sell out all 4 venues, they wouldn't book in 4 different venues, they would play them off each other and to multiple dates in 1-2 of them so they avoid the cost and time involved in building and disassembling the stage.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
:laugh: LI is a tough place I've heard on these boards, for sure. But I'm just looking at this plan and it looks all too convenient imo. Like the pieces just fit all together.

You're putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. MSG/Oakview is trying to become another AEG. The Knicks/Rangers business model requires them to be in the center.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
If Belmont happens, I hope the Nassau Queens line gets drawn like below around the Belmont Park

queens-village.jpg

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Westchester maybe Knicks/MSG territory, but doubtful it's CT Territory, aqib, WHY ARE THE Islanders in Bridgeport, then, if you claim CT is Rangers territory, and Hartford is what, to territorial?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Westchester maybe Knicks/MSG territory, but doubtful it's CT Territory, aqib, WHY ARE THE Islanders in Bridgeport, then, if you claim CT is Rangers territory, and Hartford is what, to territorial?

There are A LOT more Rangers fans in CT than Isles fans. If you think a minor league team in Bridgeport changes that, you are mistaken.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

I went to high school in Greenwich CT. 2000 kids in the school, I saw 1 wearing an Islanders hat (I graduated in 93 so the kids I was in school with were old enough to remember the dynasty. Even though the Whalers were there at the time I only knew 1-2 Whalers fans. There were no Devils fans at all.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The hotel at the race track is going to be in just about any bid submitted. In keeping with the RFP's spirit of Belmont Park becoming a gateway to Long Island and an entertainment/dining destination it seems like a hotel behind the backstretch is wanted. Would keep everyone from trying to book the Garden City Hotel at Belmont Stakes time and could also serve as a lodging midpoint between JFK and LaGuardia Airports.
That's fine, but my post was responding to another poster who was critical of the location and cited a lack of hotels as a reason.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We'll see if the Rangers will be as loved in Connecticut as you say when they eventually leave Hartford.

Fairfield County in Connecticut tilts 99% towards Manhattan. The only time most in that county not including Bridgeport go anywhere near Hartford is when they are driving to Boston or Northern New England. Metro North RR which is the backbone of the county drops you in the basement of Madison Sq Garden.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fairfield County in Connecticut tilts 99% towards Manhattan. The only time most in that county not including Bridgeport go anywhere near Hartford is when they are driving to Boston or Northern New England. Metro North RR which is the backbone of the county drops you in the basement of Madison Sq Garden.

Actually, Metro North drops you at Grand Central Terminal where you have to make your way to MSG by subway, or a 15-20 minute walk.

Amtrak from CT/Mass drops you in the basement of Madison Square Garden.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Actually, Metro North drops you at Grand Central Terminal where you have to make your way to MSG by subway, or a 15-20 minute walk.

Amtrak from CT/Mass drops you in the basement of Madison Square Garden.

My booboo - of course when I take a train to NYC it is on Amtrak

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
My takeaway from this discussion is that certain people would explain physics to Albert Einstein.

Oh you'll see that a lot. I can't tell you the number of times people have tried to lecture me about how things are in places that I've lived.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00