UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I know you've complained about the cap because it's against UNB. The entire CIS doesn't have to "play by the same rules"; several years ago the OUA wore full cages because of insurance. Should the OUA be forced to wear half visors because AUS and CW did? The AUS has a 30 game schedule because of only 7 teams. Should CW have played a 30 game schedule when they only had 7 teams? CW plays it's playoff games at the higher seed and doesn't move because of travel. Should the AUS do the same? The AUS has a best-of-3 final and play-in series when they host; the OUA plays one game to determine 3 spots. Should the OUA be forced to adopt the AUS model?

The answer to all these questions is No. These are tweaks that different conferences do for a variety of reasons. The roster cap is one of those tweaks.

To bring in the QMJHL and the CHL to this discussion is a non-starter IMHO.:)

There are always going to be rule differences, I have noticed a bunch this past weekend, for example, equipment rules (AUS is all CCM, while other teams were sporting bauer and equipment of their liking), mouthguard rules, even delay of the game penalties are called different in the AUS vs the UCUP. My point is, the Geordie Wudrick rule was brought in because the other teams had an issue with UNB having 40+ goal scorers in the CHL sitting in the stands. Comparing visor rules to recruiting/roster rules doesn't even make sense, it will have very little outcome on game results.
With regards to your other points trying to justify the different set of rules, again, those rules were not put in place to try and hurt one specific team, justify in your own mind as you may, but in the end, this is exactly why the roster cap was brought in. If you still want to deny that, then you are wearing blinders that I will never convince you to take off.
I am not disagreeing with anyone that the cap has yet to hurt UNB and did not accomplish what it was set out to do, all I am saying is that it was brought in solely because of Gardner. My point is that is perhaps all teams in the CIS (UCUP) should have limits on roster size as well, I don't even know what the proper number should be, should their be exceptions for season ending injuries?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Am I incorrect when I say if Trainor doesn't dress for a regular season or playoff game, he is not part of the roster cap?

You are correct, he did not take up a roster spot this year, as the only game that he dressed for was the exhibition game vs York over the Christmas break.

So technically, UNB still had one roster spot that they could have filled if they had wanted to. They had 21 rosters spot used, but still had Peter listed on the roster even though he never made it into a regular season or playoff game. I will be interested to see what happens to him next season.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"With regards to your other points trying to justify the different set of rules, again, those rules were not put in place to try and hurt one specific team, justify in your own mind as you may, but in the end, this is exactly why the roster cap was brought in. If you still want to deny that, then you are wearing blinders that I will never convince you to take off."

I've always maintained that the cap was invoked to stop UNB from stocking up on good players. I've said that more than once over the past few years.

Maybe I'm not the one with blinders on. :)

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
"With regards to your other points trying to justify the different set of rules, again, those rules were not put in place to try and hurt one specific team, justify in your own mind as you may, but in the end, this is exactly why the roster cap was brought in. If you still want to deny that, then you are wearing blinders that I will never convince you to take off."

I've always maintained that the cap was invoked to stop UNB from stocking up on good players. I've said that more than once over the past few years.

Maybe I'm not the one with blinders on. :)

My apologies then. :)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Thank you, but there is no need to apologize. This is just a hockey forum where we express our opinions. I always look forward to reading peoples ideas.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
You are correct, he did not take up a roster spot this year, as the only game that he dressed for was the exhibition game vs York over the Christmas break.

So technically, UNB still had one roster spot that they could have filled if they had wanted to. They had 21 rosters spot used, but still had Peter listed on the roster even though he never made it into a regular season or playoff game. I will be interested to see what happens to him next season.

If he wants to stay at UNB and practice with the team that's fine. I wouldn't add him to the roster though until after Xmas. In case they can add a player.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wow, next year is going to be a huge rebuild, going to be huge shoes to fill with Beauvillier, Petagrave, Maillet, Marcoux, Chritchlow, Braes and Mignardi all not coming back.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
That's a bit harsh, even Trump makes mistakes!:shakehead

Depends on how you look at it. I know people make mistakes and young people make alot. But I would think if him missing the second half of the AUS season and possibly being cut for his last season, I would say hes pretty lucky that is all that happen.

A lot of Innocent peoples lives are affected in a bad way, death, serious injuries from the result of being in the part of a Drunk driver. things could have turned out much worse.

I dont know how drunk he was never read the article, but really any form of intoxication while driving isn't acceptable

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Breathalyzer tests later revealed his blood-alcohol level to be 140 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, almost twice the legal limit of 80 mg.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Dui

He'll lose his license for a year, pay a fine and do some community service. Works for me. No one was hurt and he learned a big lesson.

If someone with a DUI shouldn't play again - would you prefer that Travis Fullerton hadn't come to UNB?

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
He'll lose his license for a year, pay a fine and do some community service. Works for me. No one was hurt and he learned a big lesson.

If someone with a DUI shouldn't play again - would you prefer that Travis Fullerton hadn't come to UNB?

I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. Im not saying to kick him off the hockey team. What Im saying is if he does get cut from the hockey team (as someone else said to do) I still consider Peter Trainor Lucky for thats all that ended up happening from that night. He was caught driving on the wrong side of the road, i come from a family who lost a loved one to a drunk driver. So i hope Peter Trainor makes the best of a second chance. Some people do and unfortunately some keep doing it.

I had no idea about Travis Fullerton, and im glad everything turned out good for him

I have no issue with if UNB wants him back or cuts him. He hasnt really done anything in 3 years to this date anyway so its not really the end of the world for Peter if he cant play 30 hockey games for UNB again, for someone like me if I got caught with the same DUI my entire work career is over.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Haven't seen the t-shirts yet, but I am sure that they are coming.
No surprise but Phil has signed a one way contract in the AHL. Big shoes to fill there next year!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
On the bright side, if there is ever a year to rebuild...it is when you are coming off of a National Championship and are hosting again the next season. Plenty of incentive for top guys to come here...not to mention lots of playing time available.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
As asked in the UCup Thread - who is gone?

These guys can't come back.

5th Year
Braes
Minardi
Critchlow

4th Year
Halley - Haven't heard anything yet
Maillet - Ontario (AHL)
Murray - Nothing confirmed yet, but he will not be back,
Petgrave - Signed and gone
Willick - Have not heard anything
Thomas - Have not heard anything

Some of these guys might be gone if they bulked up on courses before coming (like Randy). Beauvillier has the best chance at a contract.

3rd Year
Beauvillier - Signed and gone
Boudens - Haven't heard
Brace - Haven't heard
Caissy - Haven't heard
Gazzola (reported as graduating) Haven't heard
Suellentrop - Haven't heard
Trainor - Who knows

Other than Marcoux, they should all be back.

2nd Year
Anderson
McIvor
Clapperton
Dubeau
Marcoux (reported that he had 2 years of courses done)

1st Year
Murphy
Simpson
Cooper

Recruit - Trey Lewis

I am sure that Gardner has a few replacements already lined up, but not sure if he has the recruits to fill the shoes being left. And in true UNB fashion, I don't suspect us hearing of any commitments until late summer :( Should be an interesting offseason to say the least.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
On the bright side, if there is ever a year to rebuild...it is when you are coming off of a National Championship and are hosting again the next season. Plenty of incentive for top guys to come here...not to mention lots of playing time available.

Yeah, it will be exciting to see what recruits they land. It has also been a couple of years since they added a graduate from another University. I could see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad