UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In the Gleaner online, Bruce Hallihan confirms Gazzola will be back next season despite calls from AHL/ECHL/European teams.

Also in the article Gazzola says Marcoux won't be back, Thomas will be back, and Willick is still a question mark.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
2010-11 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL
2011-12 Springfield Falcons AHL
2011-12 Chicago Express ECHL
2011-12 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL
2011-12 Toledo Walleye ECHL
2012-13 Sitting out his year????
2013-14 U. of New Brunswick AUS
2015-16 U. of New Brunswick AUS
2016-17 U. of New Brunswick AUS

Hockey db does not show him at UNB in 2016-17. I added that myself.

I just texted Coach Mac. Hope to get a reply soon.

Edit: Just got a reply. One year left. Does the year you sit count against eligibility? I'm guessing no, if my math is correct.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't believe you get dinged for a year of eligibility for the year you sit out. So he used up one year of eligibility for playing one year of pro after 21, had to sit out a year to re-gain his eligibility, and then had 4 years left. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
I don't believe you get dinged for a year of eligibility for the year you sit out. So he used up one year of eligibility for playing one year of pro after 21, had to sit out a year to re-gain his eligibility, and then had 4 years left. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

You are correct.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't know the leadership makeup of the team all that well to predict. Who wore "A'" last year? All the 4th year guys have left, only Thomas remains. Several guys going into their 4th year.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Picking from returning players, my guess would be Boudens getting the C, I can see Thomas, Brace and maybe Sullentrop getting A's

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Definitely a possibility. The only reason I didn't mention him is because I assume he will only be back for one more year and I can't remember the last time UNB had a one year captain. He should be a shoe-in for at least an 'A' though.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Although it is near impossible to replace Murray with a freshmen I am not too concerned about the D next year. My main concern is still offense. UNB aims high with their recruiting. It is high risk high reward. At the other end we could see them with a limited roster because too many of their potential recruits turned pro. Tyler Boland's name has been mentioned more than once. His numbers are just too good that I cannot see him going pro.

Goaltending should be interesting. Two years ago they announced Marcoux right before the season started. No one knew about him even though he red shirted the year before. I wonder if coach Mac has another former pro goalie up his sleeve or if he is going to recruit from the OHL/WHL? Nothing for overagers in the Q this year.

Anyone hear any rumours about potential exhibition games?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Anyone hear any rumours about potential exhibition games?

Nope, but there are limited NCAA opponents as many of the top teams have dance partners already. BC remains open.

I could also see a trip to Ontario to play the Belleville Senators and a USPORTS team (Queen's, Ottawa, Carleton, etc). Gardiner likes to play AHL teams and they (along with the Laval Rocket) are the closest Canadian opponents.

Portland moved to Springfield, Mass. so it could be a trip their and hit BC on the way back.

All guesses on my part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad