UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
My point is that is perhaps all teams in the CIS (UCUP) should have limits on roster size as well, I don't even know what the proper number should be, should their be exceptions for season ending injuries?

This isn't the only roster-related rule that affects competitive balance across conferences, though. If you want the roster cap to apply to other conferences, then perhaps AUS/CW schools should adhere to the OUA's scholarship limit of $4,500 per year - that is the single largest reason, both historically and currently, for the AUS's competitive strength.

If I were an AUS coach, I'd take a roster cap as a tradeoff for unlimited scholarship dollars any day! :laugh:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Obviously UNB has lost a lot of good players over the years (that's the nature of college sports after all) but I don't know if I ever remember them losing this much top-end talent in one year. They have lost 4/5 of their number one power play unit.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Obviously UNB has lost a lot of good players over the years (that's the nature of college sports after all) but I don't know if I ever remember them losing this much top-end talent in one year. They have lost 4/5 of their number one power play unit.

Listing 'notable' players . . .

2008-to-2009
(left)
- Rob Hennigar
- Michael Ouzas
(2009 Rookies - added)
- Dion Campbell, Jordan Clendenning, Jimmy Cuddihy, Travis Fullerton, Jonathan Harty, Luke Lynes, Bretton Stamler

Combined, Campbell. Clendenning & Cuddihy replace Hennigar and Fullerton replaces Ouzas. Tremblay picks up the slack and the new guys deliver in Lakehead and they win Gold

2009-to-2010
(left)
- Dustin Friesen
- Kevin Henderson
- Jimmy Cuddihy
(2010 Rookies - added)
- Chris Culligan, Ben Shutron, Daine Todd, Ben Wright, Taylor Procyshen, Josh Kidd

Culligan replaces Henderson, Todd repalces Cuddihy and Shutron, Wright and Kidd replace Friesen. With few changes, a 'new' star and strong D they go 27-1 but faulter in the first round.

2010-to-2011
(left)
- John-Scott Dickson
(2011 Rookies - added)
- Nick MacNeil, Marc-A Desnoyers

MacNeil replaces John-Scott. With few changes, they go onto Gold

2011-to-2012
(left)
- Hunter Tremblay
- Josh Hepditch
- Lachlan MacIntosh
- Taylor Procyshen
- Ryan Seymour
(2012 Rookies - added)
- Tyler Carroll, Antoine Houde-Caron, Dan LaCosta, Thomas Nesbitt, Chad Denny, Taylor MacDougall

Carroll, Houde-Caron and Nesbitt are fair replacements for Hepditch, MacIntosh and Procyshen. LaCosta is an upgrade for a backup. The roll through the season but faulter vs UWO.

2012-to-2013
(left)
- Kyle Bailey
- Jordan Clendenning
- Luke Gallant
- Jonathan Harty
- Bretton Stamler
- Luke Lynes
- Jeff Lee
(2013 Rookies - added)
- Cam Braes, Cam Critchlow, Adrian Robertson, Bryce Swan, Colby Pridham

A big hit to the D, but Robertson is a string add and Todd moves back. Braes and Pridham replace Bailey and Clendenning and they ride LaCosta to Gold.

2013-to-2014
(left)
- Dion Campbell
- Colby Pridham
- Daine Todd
- Ben Wright
- Josh Kidd
- Travis Fullerton
(2014 Rookies - added)
- Philippe Halley, Philippe Maillet, Jordan Murray, Matt Petgrave, Dylan Willick

Halley & Maillet replace Campbell and Pridham. Murray and Petgrace replace Todd, Wright and Kidd. Team chemistry faulters in the playoffs

2014-to-2015
- Chris Culligan
- Nick MacNeil
- Thomas Nesbitt
- Antoine Houde-Caron
- Marc-A Desnoyers
- Ben Shutron
(2015 Rookies - added)
- Francis Beauvillier, Matt Boudens, Cameron Brace, Chris Caissy, Rob Mignardi, Colin Suellentrop, Randy Gazzola

Four forwards swap/replace and two D swap/replace. The 'rookie' team makes it to the final but lose to vetran UoA team.

--

2012-to-2013 looks similar to this year, you lose 2 good forwards and your top 3 D /or/ 2014-15 where you lose Culligan (a top 3 all-time career player) and 3 strong forwards and 2 big minute D.

They need to find 3-4 30pt guys with one of them maturing to a 40pt guy /and/ 2-3 top Dmen with one of them having a scoring touch.

Maillet-Braes-Minardi-Beauvillier = 55+42+24+16 = 137 / 4 = 34pts/game
Murray-Gazzola-Petgrave = 40+22+15 = 77 /3 = 25pts/game

Acadia had 37 fewer goals than UNB last year (1 less per game) and gave up 25 more goals (almost 1 per game). So UNB doesn't have to replace all of this offense to win 20 games & another pennant if they can maintain a low GA value.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't know why the other teams even bother trying. UNB wins all the time no matter how many guys they lose. We need a new roster cap.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I don't know why the other teams even bother trying. UNB wins all the time no matter how many guys they lose. We need a new roster cap.

I hear that Steiny, Arsenault and Peddle have been spending a bunch of time together lately, who knows what they will come up with next! :popcorn: LOL

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Gardiner after 33

Red Berenson, Michigan, steps down after 33 years at the helm.

What would Gardiner's legacy be if he coached that long and the next 16 seasons are similar to the last 17?

UCup Titles: 6 plus 6 more for 12
AUS Titles: 6 plus 6 more for 12
AUS CoY: 5 plus 5 more for 10
CIS CoY: 2 plus 2 for 4

Conf. Record = (478) 340-120-18 -> (956) 680-240-36
Playoff Record = ( 97) 59- 38 -> (194) 118-76
Nationals Record = ( 32) 26- 6 -> (64) 52-12

(1,214) 850-328+36

This assumes that the leaner seasons from '00-'07 occur again. If the next 16 were the same as the last 10, then these numbers would get even higher.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"Red Berenson, Michigan, steps down after 33 years at the helm.

What would Gardiner's legacy be if he coached that long and the next 16 seasons are similar to the last 17?"

Why don't we just equate him with Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman? :laugh:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Allan cup

Grand falls,up 5-2 after 2 periods.
UNB alumni, Luke Gallant' Carroll and several former X- Men, Stuart McRae, Colin Circelli to name a few.
Lacombe with former Golden Bear Ian Barteaux, Brett Robertson, who I believe is an X alumni.
Stony Creek, from Ontario had Cam Ferguson and Cody Thornton off the SMU National championship squad in 2010.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Don't forget Willick

Definitely could be the biggest group of guys coming in to the program in awhile. Very important summer coming up to try and set them up for the next 3-4 years.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB will have a lot of holes to fill for sure. Surprised that all the 4th year guys left plus Beauvillier only in his 3rd year.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
There has been a lot of pro interest, that's the result of the group's success,
Two National Championships and three straight trips to the dance.
That window may not be available to the majority of the group, if they come back for a 5'th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad