GDT: UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski 2

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Damn. That's not even like "Well, if he had a full camp" type of finish. Just an incredible kick from Islam.
I mean... I disagree, it's an incredible kick for sure. However we don't know what would have happened if Volk was preparing for Islam and not Topuria (who doesn't really kick to the head).

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I mean... I disagree, it's an incredible kick for sure. However we don't know what would have happened if Volk was preparing for Islam and not Topuria (who doesn't really kick to the head).
I wouldn't say Islam is exactly known for his head kicks either. He got caught.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yes we do, we saw it earlier this year

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The telling moment for me in this fight was when Volk had Islam against the cage and he wanted to go for a knee but then realized he was too short to actually reach him. Just too much of a size difference. Volk can probably compete against top 10 155ers but the size with Islam specifically is an issue.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Volkanovski's physique looked like someone who's come off PED's

I remember him being much more muscular in the past
ezgif-1-a091930f7c.jpg
3805099-77391908-2560-1440.jpg

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's funny, that's what I was thinking too. I actually thought his answer to the country was "desert" when I heard him

Confirmed by Megan Olivi that was his answer. Pretty funny

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes we do, we saw it earlier this year
Yeah, where Volk had more significant strikes in the fight, more significant strikes in 3 of the 5 rounds (same significant strikes in one more round), a knockdown, and lost a decision.

You could say the same thing for Islam, though. Oliveira is completely different than Volk.
Yea, maybe Islam would have been more dominant. We don't know.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
January feels too soon after getting head kicked and cut like that but props to Volk if he follows through. I think these two are much closer than today showed and we saw that last time. It's just tough for Volk up a weight class and nearly impossible on short notice against the best in the division.

Reactions: Taytro

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
January feels too soon after getting head kicked and cut like that but props to Volk if he follows through. I think these two are much closer than today showed and we saw that last time. It's just tough for Volk up a weight class and nearly impossible on short notice against the best in the division.
Pretty sure Volk is out for 6 months now, that’s a normal procedure after getting clean KOed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd do Islam-Gaethje next because it's a fresh matchup, but I don't think that's a particularly close fight. Islam might not be quite as good of a grappler as Khabib, but I think he'e more than good enough to slice through Gaethje on the ground. And he's a better striker than Khabib. Gaethje's nothing more than a puncher's chance IMO.

Volk-Topuria is next, but I don't want it in January. Give Volk some time to recover. Don't want Volk at 80% or whatever.

I want Strickland-DDP next. Chimaev didn't do enough against a blown up WW on short notice to earn a title shot. Especially without having much of a resume at MW to begin with. And especially, especially since DDP finished Robert f***ing Whittaker.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I don’t think he’s got a legit challenge at 155. He needs to go after the 170 belt
The quality of his wins at 155 are not that deep. I mean, after Volk (a natural 145'er) and Charles, what has he got, Bobby Green? Drew Dober? Tsarukyan. Lets let him fight some more top 5 guys before talking about going after 170. Maybe he rolls everybody, but I'd rather see him show it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The quality of his wins at 155 are not that deep. I mean, after Volk (a natural 145'er) and Charles, what has he got, Bobby Green? Drew Dober? Tsarukyan. Lets let him fight some more top 5 guys before talking about going after 170. Maybe he rolls everybody, but I'd rather see him show it.
Realistically who you see pose a legit challenge to him other than Tsarukyan?

Many thought Gamrot might be the guy but Dariush fight showed his wrestling is not close to Islam level

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd do Islam-Gaethje next because it's a fresh matchup, but I don't think that's a particularly close fight. Islam might not be quite as good of a grappler as Khabib, but I think he'e more than good enough to slice through Gaethje on the ground. And he's a better striker than Khabib. Gaethje's nothing more than a puncher's chance IMO.

Volk-Topuria is next, but I don't want it in January. Give Volk some time to recover. Don't want Volk at 80% or whatever.

I want Strickland-DDP next. Chimaev didn't do enough against a blown up WW on short notice to earn a title shot. Especially without having much of a resume at MW to begin with. And especially, especially since DDP finished Robert f***ing Whittaker.

Couldn't agree more. Was thinking they could maybe do Strickland/DDP in January and then push Volk/Topuria to February which might be an Australia card anyway.

Do Oliveira/Gamrot, would love to see that one. There's your January co-headliner.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Couldn't agree more. Was thinking they could maybe do Strickland/DDP in January and then push Volk/Topuria to February which might be an Australia card anyway.

Do Oliveira/Gamrot, would love to see that one. There's your January co-headliner.
I'm on board with all of that.

Poirier's got to fit in somewhere here, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad