Featherweight bout: Nathaniel Wood vs. Muhammad Naimov
Women's Strawweight bout: Viktoriia Dudakova vs. Jinh Yu Frey
Middleweight bout: Shara Magomedov vs. Bruno Silva​

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Excited for the prelims. I don't know much about some of the guys but definitely some good prospects (or at least good records). Basharat v Henry is a great fight, Peek is one of the most fun/sloppiest fighters in the UFC, and Mokaev is one of the top prospects with an absolute perfect test in Elliott.

Other than the name, no reason for Nurm/Gafurov to be on the main card.

Aliskerov is so, so intriguing. Not sure what we'll learn from this fight but excited to see him fight again.

Ankalaev/Walker has been kind of slept on but that's a really good fight that would headline a ton of Fight Nights. Gotta like Ankalaev in this one but we'll see.

No way am I picking against Chimaev but.. lets just see what happens? MmaMath says Chimaev & Burns were dead even and Usman was clearly a step above Burns. So, who knows. Definitely the fight I'm most interested in on the card.

Not much left to say about Volk/Islam. I'm a Volk fan so I hope he pulls it off regardless of how annoyed I will be knowing it will lead to a trilogy and interim 145lb belt. But yeah, hard to complain too much about a couple top p4p guys even if I have my issues with it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Very heavy chin beard card, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing Volk/Islam and Chimaev getting back in there.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Islam-Volk : I've made my stance on Volk getting the shot well known, so I'll leave that part of it alone. The big questions here are 1) how does the last minute nature of the fight affect things and 2) what changes will each guy make.

For Islam, I don't think there's many changes. He's like Khabib in that he does what he does. Try to stop it. He's going to be patient on the feet, read his opponent to pick his spots, and create grappling scenarios when he can. I don't think much changes based on opponent.

For Volk, 1) I wouldn't normally worry about it. Seems like a guy who's always in the gym and in shape, but what about his surgery? Did he take time off? Or was he still able to get work in? How's his cardio going to hold up? All that. 2) I think Volk's gotta make more of the changes. I think he needs to use more leg kicks. Body and head kicks are probably too risky and inviting the takedowns, but he landed a number of leg/calf kicks. I think if he can start to damage Islam's leg, Islam might start getting a little more desperate for takedowns making him more 1 dimensional. Plus, Islam was getting tired in the first fight. If he starts shooting and getting stuffed, he's only going to drain faster. Volk said in his interview with Ariel he gave Islam too much credit last time. I think that's probably true, too. I think he might come out with a little more snarl this time.

Chimaev-Usman : As I said in the other thread, I'm still picking Chimaev, but I think it's going to be a tough fight. I think it definitely helps Chimaev that it's only 3 rounds. I'm curious to see if Chimaev is still in that "I'm going smesh anybody they put in front me" phase or if he got humbled a bit by Burns. I'm guessing the former and outside of a quick KO, I don't see anybody smashing Usman.

Ankalaev-Walker : Ankalaev needs a big win. People really stopped talking about him after that dud against Jan. He needs a dominant finish to get the Jiri-Pereira winner. I've doubted Walker before, but I just don't think he's that good. He's dangerous, but over time, I think Ankalaev asserts himself.

I'd be lying if I said I really knew anything about the rest of the card. I mean, I know Said and Elliot and maybe a few others, but nothing about their opponents. Certainly not enough to give any sort of comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not much left to say about Volk/Islam. I'm a Volk fan so I hope he pulls it off regardless of how annoyed I will be knowing it will lead to a trilogy and interim 145lb belt. But yeah, hard to complain too much about a couple top p4p guys even if I have my issues with it.
I don't think it's a given they do a trilogy if Volk wins. Islam has 1 title defense, against Volk, in a very close decision, where some people scored it for Volk. If Volk wins convincingly, they might tell Islam to get back in line, especially since it's on short notice and especially, especially since they have Gaethje and Charlie Olives who they could put in there.

Leaves 145 in limbo, but Topuria picking up another win, whether for the interim belt or not, isn't the worst thing to happen.

I don't think they'd do this because it's not as big of a fight, but they could even do Volk-Topuria and some combination of Islam, Oliveira and Gaethje for the interim LW belt.

I'm obviously getting ahead of things, though. He needs to beat Islam first.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
No way am I picking against Chimaev but.. lets just see what happens? MmaMath says Chimaev & Burns were dead even and Usman was clearly a step above Burns. So, who knows. Definitely the fight I'm most interested in on the card.
Yeah but this fight is at MW, and Usman probably isn't the same fighter anymore.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah but this fight is at MW, and Usman probably isn't the same fighter anymore.

For sure Usman hasn't looked as good lately and is older, which is why Chimaev is the rightful favorite.

Not sure how much the MW stuff will be a factor. Both guys were huge 170ers, albeit Chimaev bigger. I'm really interested in how Usman's wrestling looks. Will Chimaev just be able to take him down like he does everyone else? I'm not so sure.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Excited for the prelims. I don't know much about some of the guys but definitely some good prospects (or at least good records). Basharat v Henry is a great fight, Peek is one of the most fun/sloppiest fighters in the UFC, and Mokaev is one of the top prospects with an absolute perfect test in Elliott.

Other than the name, no reason for Nurm/Gafurov to be on the main card.

Aliskerov is so, so intriguing. Not sure what we'll learn from this fight but excited to see him fight again.

Ankalaev/Walker has been kind of slept on but that's a really good fight that would headline a ton of Fight Nights. Gotta like Ankalaev in this one but we'll see.

There's no need for me to write up my thoughts cause it would basically be this right here :laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd be lying if I said I really knew anything about the rest of the card. I mean, I know Said and Elliot and maybe a few others, but nothing about their opponents. Certainly not enough to give any sort of comments.

You're probably okay to skip the early prelims here, but this is definitely a card where you want to watch the four prelim fights. Two blue-chip prospects facing tough vets and Peek is always fun.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For sure Usman hasn't looked as good lately and is older, which is why Chimaev is the rightful favorite.

Not sure how much the MW stuff will be a factor. Both guys were huge 170ers, albeit Chimaev bigger. I'm really interested in how Usman's wrestling looks. Will Chimaev just be able to take him down like he does everyone else? I'm not so sure.
'Lately' is really just his last fight, too. Sure, he got KO'ed in the first fight with Edwards (I guess technically the second) and even lost the first round, but he dominated Edwards for R2-4. Even the second (technically the third) fight, it was a really competitive fight. I think he's for sure on the decline due to age and his knee issues, but I think there's still enough there to put up some resistance to Chimaev.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

It's a significant factor, Usman would likely have a much better chance if the fight was at 170.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
The two main fights have been discussed a lot, I'll just reiterate I don't like the idea of Usman-Chimaev getting a title shot since even after the fight neither will have wins over a ranked MW. But the fight and main card should still be fun.

I will try to watch the early prelims, or at least the first fight. Shara Magomedov is definitely worth keeping a tab on.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They showed a video on MK of Usman doing his open work out with Gaethje. Usman takes him down and it's hard to hear, but people are saying Gaethje says "Are you OK?" and Usman says "No, something popped." And he gets up veeeeeery gingerly.

Could be nothing. Could be an existing injury he can handle. Could be something new. Either way, makes me rethink how close I think that fight's gonna be.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
They showed a video on MK of Usman doing his open work out with Gaethje. Usman takes him down and it's hard to hear, but people are saying Gaethje says "Are you OK?" and Usman says "No, something popped." And he gets up veeeeeery gingerly.

Could be nothing. Could be an existing injury he can handle. Could be something new. Either way, makes me rethink how close I think that fight's gonna be.
I've watched the video a few times while consciously trying to not let my ears be influenced by what all the commentators are saying. Gaethje and Usman both have denied anything happened there but the things that bother me in the video are that Gaethje has a look of concern on his face when they both hit the mat and then Usman immediately stands up and walks off the stage with Gaethje (to me, at least) being a little bit surprised they were ending the open workout at that point.

So yeah, to me it seemed as if something happened there. Hopefully it's not a huge deal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hmmmm...a little bit of a predicament for me.

Penn State-Ohio State starts at noon for some reason and UFC main card is at 2.

Of all UFC events to not start at 10pm, why does it have to be this weekend? Or vice-versa, why is #3 vs. #7 not a prime time game?

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Greasy card to bet on, all the main card matches have pretty big favorites. Might have to do the Bellator trick of making a parlay of just main card favorites lol.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Magomedov's striking looked great but he's going to run into issues against wrestlers. Fun guy to watch though. Does lots of work from the bottom at least.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Basharat drills Henry in the balls and he can't continue. Not sure why Anik (I think) wants a DQ - seemed accidental and should be a no contest IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad