GDT: UFC 294: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Poirier v Nate if he comes back?
Didn't you hear? Nate vs. Paul 2 is totally happening :laugh:

Seriously, though, if I was Nate, I'd wait to see what happens with Conor before I decide to come back to the UFC or not.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Didn't you hear? Nate vs. Paul 2 is totally happening :laugh:

Seriously, though, if I was Nate, I'd wait to see what happens with Conor before I decide to come back to the UFC or not.

Yeah, that's under the assumption the Conor/Chandler fight happens.

IMO they should just do Conor/Nate 3 to headline UFC300, obviously with a couple of title fights as well. Not really a bigger "name" fight they can make.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

IMO they should just do Conor/Nate 3 to headline UFC300, obviously with a couple of title fights as well. Not really a bigger "name" fight they can make.
I feel like Conor/UFC have talked themselves into a corner with Chandler being next. I mean, I know they can do whatever they want and Conor-Nate 3 at UFC 300 makes a ton of sense, but I dunno. With someone as high profile as Conor talking about Chandler for so long, to switch to a much easier fight with Nate would seem weird and he'd take a lot shit for it.

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I've never bought into the McGregor vs Chandler talk

Chandler is one of the best athletes in MMA, he's very strong, lightning quick, has knockout power, and he's an elite wrestler

For a fighter who can hand pick his opponents, I can't see much incentive to settle on Chandler if there's no belt on the line

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Chandler is one of the best athletes in MMA, he's very strong, lightning quick, has knockout power, and he's an elite wrestler

For a fighter who can hand pick his opponents, I can't see much incentive to settle on Chandler if there's no belt on the line

He's also very hittable and Conor can knock him out. Better matchup for Conor than most of the top of 155

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If Twitter translators are to be believed the portion of Khamzat's speech in Russian was much less "kumbaya" than what he said in English.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

He's 2-3 in the UFC and has lost to all the top LWs he's fought. He's not some insurmountable challenge, but good enough of an opponent that it isn't a gimme fight for Conor.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He's 2-3 in the UFC and has lost to all the top LWs he's fought. He's not some insurmountable challenge, but good enough of an opponent that it isn't a gimme fight for Conor.
I'm aware of Chandler's resume

Here's McGregor's...

His win over Alvarez to become the Double Champ was 7 years ago

Since then he has 1 win, and it was against Donald Cerrone nearly 4 years ago

Maybe I'm higher than most on Chandler as a fighter, but I don't like McGregor's odds in that match-up

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sucks to see Volk get decimated like that knowing that his door to LW is shut for a while. Was always the risk of taking this on short notice.

Also props to Usman, he had some impressive moments where he had Khamzat in trouble. Chimaev is the boogeyman and Usman had huge balls for even taking that on short notice, and I'm glad he's finally getting more appreciation and his 'flowers' from fans after the end of his impressive reign.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Chimaev's gas tank is ultimately gonna cost him, and my guess is sooner than later. Burns nearly finished him and Usman looked to be throwing much faster and with more power in the second and particularly the third. I'm not so sure Chimaev gets by Costa.

I feel for Volk. Arguably won the first encounter, steps in on two weeks notice here to save the card, and now he's completely removed himself from the 155 convo, along with any rematch with Islam in the near future. This gamble did not pay off.

Reactions: Chaels Arms and m9

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I thought Islam comfortably won the 1st fight. Sure Volk finished the first fight strong but Islam won pretty clearly. Was a bit surprised that so many thought Volk had won.

So kind of glad Islam won with a finish so we don't ever have to see this fight again. Hopefully Islam starts fighting a few legit 155 pounders now.

Would like Volk to take a bit of a rest before he fights again.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is Eugene Bareman/CKB losing his fastball a little bit here?

We're coming off Adesanya with a very disappointing loss to Strickland. Adesanya looked like he was fighting with fifteen minutes notice. No gameplan at all. Strickland did exactly what he always does too. Now Adesanya is talking about stepping away from the sport for a few years after seeming like he was right back on top with that KO of Pereira.

Kai Kara-France two straight losses.

Brad Riddell out of the game.

Hooker on a two fight winning streak is good I guess but I expected bigger things after that absolute war vs Poirier. Ullberg is doing well too.

Volkanovski was very emotional after this fight basically saying he has issues functioning when he's not fighting. He's 35 years old and just fought three months ago. Why is he saying stuff like that? He probably needs to sit down and speak to his family or a professional about whatever issues he's having instead of trying to live in the octagon permanently.

I've never been a big fan of established fighters like Volk being "team" guys for Dana in these situations. It seems to rarely end up being worth the risk. I know some fans justify it by essentially erasing the fight from memory but I don't buy that. Volkanovski getting KO'ed in the first round matters regardless of the circumstances. Maybe Eugene needed to be the big boy in the room and have some hard conversations with Volk he wasn't willing to have. I remember Bareman telling Helwani that many of his issues with Adesanya stem from Izzy never wanting to rest and that goes all the way back to his kickboxing days. Izzy is 34 years old. Maybe he needed to take some more time preparing for Strickland also. No one else on the roster is matching these two in terms of activity and I don't know if that's a good thing anymore, especially when you start mixing in losses by KO. Is Volk really going to fight Topuria in early 2024? Guy should probably take a year off and find some sort of peace within himself.

Reactions: 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Is Eugene Bareman/CKB losing his fastball a little bit here?

We're coming off Adesanya with a very disappointing loss to Strickland. Adesanya looked like he was fighting with fifteen minutes notice. No gameplan at all. Strickland did exactly what he always does too. Now Adesanya is talking about stepping away from the sport for a few years after seeming like he was right back on top with that KO of Pereira.

Kai Kara-France two straight losses.

Brad Riddell out of the game.

Hooker on a two fight winning streak is good I guess but I expected bigger things after that absolute war vs Poirier. Ullberg is doing well too.

Volkanovski was very emotional after this fight basically saying he has issues functioning when he's not fighting. He's 35 years old and just fought three months ago. Why is he saying stuff like that? He probably needs to sit down and speak to his family or a professional about whatever issues he's having instead of trying to live in the octagon permanently.

I've never been a big fan of established fighters like Volk being "team" guys for Dana in these situations. It seems to rarely end up being worth the risk. I know some fans justify it by essentially erasing the fight from memory but I don't buy that. Volkanovski getting KO'ed in the first round matters regardless of the circumstances. Maybe Eugene needed to be the big boy in the room and have some hard conversations with Volk he wasn't willing to have. I remember Bareman telling Helwani that many of his issues with Adesanya stem from Izzy never wanting to rest and that goes all the way back to his kickboxing days. Izzy is 34 years old. Maybe he needed to take some more time preparing for Strickland also. No one else on the roster is matching these two in terms of activity and I don't know if that's a good thing anymore, especially when you start mixing in losses by KO. Is Volk really going to fight Topuria in early 2024? Guy should probably take a year off and find some sort of peace within himself.
I agree with @m9. Volk has still looked great. It just so happens he lost on 12 days notice, up a weight class, to one of the best P4P fighters in the world. It was a tall task.

With hindsight, it probably wasn't worth the risk. Not because he lost, but because he got KO'ed. That could have an effect on him going forward. But he probably got paid well and guys taking risks like this is part of the reason people love this sport. Was it wise? Maybe not, but if he pulled it off it would have been a legendary moment.

As far as Bareman and CKB, coaches definitely deserve some credit, but they still need special athletes like Volk and Izzy to have the success that those guys have had. However, I would say a) they are both at the age where guys start to fall off and b) there's a loooooot of tape on these guys now. It's part of the natural cycle. They made it longer than most.

Lastly, I would say most gyms never see a fighter go on a run like Volk and Izzy have, let alone 2 of them, let alone 2 of them at the same time. Even if they never see another champion, they are still one of the most successful gyms ever.

I agree Volk's comments were a little bit worrisome. Hope everything is alright.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Counter argument to Bareman losing his fastball...

-Izzy has been the best 185lber for a long time and a very active champion. He was beating pereira before getting stopped and redeemed himself. Maybe he was overlooking Strickland or didn't realize how awkward his fighting style would be. Also I think Izzy is clearly a little burned out too who knows how banged up he is after all these recent fights.

-KK France... lost an interim championship bout to a legit champion in Moreno no shame there and the Albazi fight was a joke he won that. 19 of 21 entries on mma decisions have him winning it.

-Hooker is a top fighter but I never saw him as a legit threat to the belt.

-Volk is still Volk... best 145er right now and one of the best to ever do it.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Not a big fan of UFC going to a more regionally based card based on location. Makes you wonder.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Counter argument to Bareman losing his fastball...

-Izzy has been the best 185lber for a long time and a very active champion. He was beating pereira before getting stopped and redeemed himself. Maybe he was overlooking Strickland or didn't realize how awkward his fighting style would be. Also I think Izzy is clearly a little burned out too who knows how banged up he is after all these recent fights.

-KK France... lost an interim championship bout to a legit champion in Moreno no shame there and the Albazi fight was a joke he won that. 19 of 21 entries on mma decisions have him winning it.

-Hooker is a top fighter but I never saw him as a legit threat to the belt.

-Volk is still Volk... best 145er right now and one of the best to ever do it.
Agreed on all points. I don't see Bareman as a culprit here.

That said, Izzy and Volkanovski looked like 2 guys who were nowhere near peak of their game.

Similar short notice for Usman who maybe got tired, but still appeared to be in phenomenal physical shape and was very competitive in his fight.

I truly believe Volk just didn't have the time to get shredded at 155, so I wasn't alarmed by his physique nor did I think he was coming off PED's at all.

Izzy however, especially with his gyno history and showing zero aggression for 25 minutes...is it food for thought? Not accusing.

At the very least, you have Izzy and Volk alluding to issues outside of fighting (not to mention Izzy's arrest) plus things like the Riddell departure. Perhaps the young man Fau Vake who was killed awhile back did some damage, or maybe City just became a little too Hollywood.

I know I'm rambling but there are some things going on that make me wonder.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed on all points. I don't see Bareman as a culprit here.

That said, Izzy and Volkanovski looked like 2 guys who were nowhere near peak of their game.

Similar short notice for Usman who maybe got tired, but still appeared to be in phenomenal physical shape and was very competitive in his fight.

I truly believe Volk just didn't have the time to get shredded at 155, so I wasn't alarmed by his physique nor did I think he was coming off PED's at all.

Izzy however, especially with his gyno history and showing zero aggression for 25 minutes...is it food for thought? Not accusing.

At the very least, you have Izzy and Volk alluding to issues outside of fighting (not to mention Izzy's arrest) plus things like the Riddell departure. Perhaps the young man Fau Vake who was killed awhile back did some damage, or maybe City just became a little too Hollywood.

I know I'm rambling but there are some things going on that make me wonder.

Adesanya & Volk are also both 34/35 year old guys. One of them has a lifetime's worth of combat sports and the other is in a division which is incredibly difficult to stick around when you get old as your speed declines.

We've probably seen the best from either guy - just a matter of if it's a hard decline or a soft decline over the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad