Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1694326938656.png

h2

Mar 26, 2002
His story could have turned out so much worse, glad he found fighting

Grandfather was a white supremacist and was raising him to be a skinhead iirc

Definitely. Goes to show the positive impact fighting can have on someone.

It's also kind of a breath of fresh air watching him in press conferences. If he has an intrusive thought, we are going to know lol.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Definitely. Goes to show the positive impact fighting can have on someone.

It's also kind of a breath of fresh air watching him in press conferences. If he has an intrusive thought, we are going to know lol.
Credit to him for not dropping any slurs in the postfight, if you told me we got two of them tonight and none of them came from him I would have been more surprised than if you told me he beat Izzy lol

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Watched the main card in the pub (first time in years) and it was one of those cards that looked crap on paper, but ended up being really good!

Congratulations Strickland. Didn't expect that. Fair play to Izzy at the end of the fight. He seemed gracious in defeat from what I saw. Although haven't heard post fight interviews....

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
the C word is a popular british and aussie word I think.

I work in the trades with an aussie guy, every 3rd word out of his mouth.
You couldn’t be more right

Source: my 80 yr old British soccer hooligan great uncle. If he’s doing some carpentry work it’s every 3rd word out of his mouth

That’s twice! Has to be an Australia thing

I love how both times DC immediately walks the f*** away
Even if it’s an Aussie thing an American and a Portuguese man said it lol

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The way I do my parlays is I select a “sure thing” as my final pick. My last two big parlays involved a -600 and a -1000 losing.

Izzy & Shevchenko

I quit.
ItLol it's a silly strategy to add a fight to your parlay knowing that the fight doesn't increase your odds very much but just gives you another opportunity to lose the bet.

Edit: and I don't mean any offense by that. I have silly betting strategies all the time.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
A champ as dominant as Izzy was deserves an immediate rematch....once. He already played that card with Pereira.

If Chimaev beats Costa, Strickland vs. Chimaev and Izzy vs. DDP? Chimaev getting a title shot will be big regardless and they can still do the Izzy-DDP storyline. Plus, Dana gave the ole "don't turn down fights" thing with DDP this week. I don't like it, but that's how they operate.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You couldn’t be more right

Source: my 80 yr old British soccer hooligan great uncle. If he’s doing some carpentry work it’s every 3rd word out of his mouth

Even if it’s an Aussie thing an American and a Portuguese man said it lol
Yeah, maybe just the intensity of that crowd resulting in stupid shit being said. Dana is going to have to set some ground rules for post fight.

Strickland's post presser was also disturbing at times, spent way too much time on Izzy and China.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
This is right up there with the biggest upsets of all time, simply because of the way he won. Just a tier short of GSP/Serra. A flash KO or even a grind-it-out, ugly decision win wouldn't have been the biggest shock. But to walk down the champ and own him for 25 minutes? That was really something to witness.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
A champ as dominant as Izzy was deserves an immediate rematch....once. He already played that card with Pereira.

If Chimaev beats Costa, Strickland vs. Chimaev and Izzy vs. DDP? Chimaev getting a title shot will be big regardless and they can still do the Izzy-DDP storyline. Plus, Dana gave the ole "don't turn down fights" thing with DDP this week. I don't like it, but that's how they operate.

Bingo. He's now 1-2 in his last 3 title fights it's time move it along and get some new blood in there. Let him take a fight like Oliveira did and earn another title shot. He goes out and beats a costa/chimaev or DDP no issue with him getting another crack at it.

I honestly still can't believe that happened last night. Strickland is a rough guy and has absolutely no filter but I've been a fan of his I'm so happy.

As the biggest Izzy hater on the planet I agree you can't say he's Anderson Silva... but as cringy and boring (at times) as he's been he's also been completely dominant and ran through this division he deserves some respect. He's not Mount Rushmore or top 10 but he is going to be talked about as being one of the best.

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I doubt they'll make an immediate rematch

Even Cormier was saying after the show that it's time for the division to move on from Izzy

I think once the smoke has cleared, and the situation has been assessed by the UFC brass, they'll come to the same conclusion

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The issue I have with ranking Adesanya among the all-time greats is that I don't really consider him a mixed-martial artist

I see him as an elite kickboxer who competes in MMA

Silva is regarded by many as the best striker in the history of the sport, but he's also a blackbelt in BJJ, and has 3 submission victories on resume

GSP got his start in karate, yet, many think of him as the best wrestler in MMA history, and he finished with 6 submission victories

Jones has a base in wrestling, but is known as one of the best strikers ever, and has 7 submission wins

Fedor has 16 wins by KO and 15 by submission

Adesanya is essentially a taller version of Stephen Thompson, which can obviously lead to success in MMA, but they're limited in their overall effectiveness as a fighter

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The issue I have with ranking Adesanya among the all-time greats is that I don't consider him a mixed-martial artists

I see him as a kickboxer who competes in MMA

Silva is regarded by many as the best striker in the history of the sport, but he's also a blackbelt in BJJ, and has 3 submission victories on resume

GSP got his start in karate, yet, many think of him as the best wrestler in MMA history, and he finished with 6 submission victories

Jones has a base in wrestling, but is known as one of the best strikers ever, and has 7 submission wins

Fedor has 16 wins by KO and 15 by submission

Adesanya is essentially a taller version of Stephen Thompson, which can obviously lead to success in MMA, but it limits their overall effectiveness as a fighter

His mma resume speaks for itself

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
His mma resume speaks for itself
And his performance last night speaks for itself

When he's not able to get the better of his opponent in a striking battle, he has no other path to victory

That's why he didn't attempt a single takedown, and instead, opted to get beat up on his feet for the majority of the fight

Am I wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad