GDT: UFC 293: Adesanya vs. Strickland

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Adesanya just got knocked out two fights ago and Strickland is a highly ranked guy. Matt Serra was a TUF winner who wouldn't even have been ranked who got GSP to tap to strikes. Can't even compare the two.

Great fight by Strickland, I had him 49-45. Gave him 10-8 for Round 1. It was a close round and then he almost finishes the guy? Good enough for a 10-8 for me. Gotta reward near finishes like that.

Oh and just an awful fight by Adesanya. This is exactly how Cannonier would have beat him too if he had a gameplan and the ability to not fight scared. Strickland had both.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Honestly embarrassing performance from Izzy. Everyone knows how Strickland fights and yet his team wasn't able to make adjustments. Khamzat will actually destroy this division.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Adesanya just got knocked out two fights ago and Strickland is a highly ranked guy. Matt Serra was a TUF winner who wouldn't even have been ranked who got GSP to tap to strikes. Can't even compare the two.

Great fight by Strickland, I had him 49-45. Gave him 10-8 for Round 1. It was a close round and then he almost finishes the guy? Good enough for a 10-8 for me. Gotta reward near finishes like that.

Oh and just an awful fight by Adesanya. This is exactly how Cannonier would have beat him too if he had a gameplan and the ability to not fight scared. Strickland had both.

I actually feel the opposite. The Serra vs GSP upset was just pure luck. Landing a lucky bomb and getting the win can happen to anyone. Compare that to tonight, there was no luck involved. Strickland brought the heat to Adesanya through 5 rounds and beat him. It was a more impressive upset to me due to the technical nature of it and Adesanya being arguably the best striker in the UFC. Like I said, anyone can land a bomb and get the upset in a lucky moment. With that in mind I view tonight as a bigger upset and I don't even think it's close IMO.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Unbelievable. This one is truly shocking.

Credit to Strickland for sticking with it and getting it done. Good defensively and did enough with his offense to win.

No idea what Izzy was doing. One of the smartest fighters with one of the best teams did absolutely nothing to change it up. Let a dude just walk him down throwing jabs and 1-2’s for 25 minutes. This will seem like I’m taking away from Strickland and maybe to an extent I am but that was a truly atrocious performance by Izzy. He got what he deserved.
Kind of reminded me of Jones towards the end of his LHW run. Like there's being calm and sticking to the gameplan, but why are you just accepting what's happening? You very well might be losing the fight. Much more clearly losing in Izzy's case than Jones', but still.

To be fair to Strickland, though, his defense was great. I don't know enough about boxing for it to make sense to me because it doesn't look like he's doing a whole lot, but Izzy landed 22 of 154 strikes to the head. Strickland was able to execute that gameplan because he never really had to respect what was coming back at him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I actually feel the opposite. The Serra vs GSP upset was just pure luck. Landing a lucky bomb and getting the win can happen to anyone. Compare that to tonight, there was no luck involved. Strickland brought the heat to Adesanya through 5 rounds and beat him. It was a more impressive upset to me due to the technical nature of it and Adesanya being arguably the best striker in the UFC. Like I said, anyone can land a bomb and get the upset in a lucky moment. With that in mind I view tonight as a bigger upset and I don't even think it's close IMO.

It's possibly more impressive to do what Strickland did, but it's certainly not the bigger upset. Not by odds, not when you look at anyone involved's careers as a whole, not by anything. 100% recency bias.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
It's possibly more impressive to do what Strickland did, but it's certainly not the bigger upset. Not by odds, not when you look at anyone involved's careers as a whole, not by anything. 100% recency bias.

By odds then I agree with you for sure. But anytime there's odds like the GSP-Serra fight, you should always put money on the underdog due to the lucky bomb potential. The fight is asking for an upset with odds like that lol.

Definitely not recency bias. You kinda alluded to this in your first sentence - It's harder to do what Strickland did, which is where I'm basing this from. Landing a lucky bomb on a champion is what it is. Luck. It's bound to happen once in a while. Tonight was different.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

I don’t think an immediate rematch is necessary at all after that kind of fight but the UFC really likes that belt on Izzy.

He's 1-2 in his last 3 at middleweight, definitely doesn't deserve a rematch.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
By odds then I agree with you for sure. But anytime there's odds like the GSP-Serra fight, you should always put money on the underdog due to the lucky bomb potential. The fight is asking for an upset with odds like that lol.

Definitely not recency bias. You kinda alluded to this in your first sentence - It's harder to do what Strickland did, which is where I'm basing this from. Landing a lucky bomb on a champion is what it is. Luck. It's bound to happen once in a while. Tonight was different.

Yeah I think it's just a terminology thing to me. Definitely more impressive to just beat a guy for five rounds than a lucky punch. Different than an upset though, IMO

Reactions: h2

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I wonder on the Dricus angle. If they do an instant rematch then who does DDP fight? I'd think Sean versus Dricus to either solidify Sean as champ and hype the Israel rematch or Israel winning against someone else and earning a title shot against Dricus (if Dricus beat Strickland) both seem more sensible approaches to me than Israel getting an instant rematch when he is 1-2 in his last three at this weight class.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I wonder on the Dricus angle. If they do an instant rematch then who does DDP fight? I'd think Sean versus Dricus to either solidify Sean as champ and hype the Israel rematch or Israel winning against someone else and earning a title shot against Dricus (if Dricus beat Strickland) both seem more sensible approaches to me than Israel getting an instant rematch when he is 1-2 in his last three at this weight class.
Adesanya vs Dricus would make sense as a next fight IMO.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Adesanya is one of the most overrated fighters ever. Very good fighter but I’ve never understood why his name gets thrown out there with the all time greats.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That will generally happen if you clean out a division over the course a of a handful of years
He didn’t though. At least not to the extent of Silva, GSP, Bones Jones, mouse or even a guy like Jose Aldo. I mean Silva was the middleweight champion for what? 7 or 8 years or something ridiculous. You can’t be in that convo without accomplishing a lot more.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He didn’t though. At least not to the extent of Silva, GSP, Bones Jones, mouse or even a guy like Jose Aldo. I mean Silva was the middleweight champion for what? 7 or 8 years or something ridiculous. You can’t be in that convo without accomplishing a lot more.
I’ve never seen somebody put him in that GSP/Jon Jones tier

He’s one of the best middleweights ever, but not the best middleweight ever imo

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Listening to Strickland in the post-fight conference, this dude is insane lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad