GDT: UFC 292: Sterling vs. O'Malley/PFL 8

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They keep talking about the stoppage but he had his head dribbled off the canvas multiple times
Yeah, I don't understand what people talking about an early stoppage thought would have happened other than Aljo eating more unnecessary shots. He was out of it. Even after they stopped it, he had that wide eyed blank stare going.

I don't think there's a shot at all for a rematch and they need to stop with these immediate rematches. Aljo is far from a fan favorite and it wasn't like it was close. I'm guessing it is Chito time.
Aljo is just stylistically boring to watch, even if he's incredible technically. So he won't get an immediate rematch off of that alone.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The irony to me is that Ian Garry has tried so hard to be the next Conor over the last 6 months and it ended up being the American guy with rainbow hair and face tats in the main event after him who is actually the heir apparent to Conor

Conor and O’Malley put their guy away if they had their opponent in the condition Magny was in fwiw

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The irony to me is that Ian Garry has tried so hard to be the next Conor over the last 6 months and it ended up being the American guy with rainbow hair and face tats in the main event after him who is actually the heir apparent to Conor

Conor and O’Malley put their guy away if they had their opponent in the condition Magny was in fwiw
His name is O'Malley, those brain dead Boston fans don't know he was born in the states.

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Looking at the rankings it has to be one of those two. Or a rematch I guess. Think they will go with Chito. But Merab most deserving.

edit. Sandhagen on a 3 win streak including one against Vera. But his last win was so boring, he might have fought himself out of a tile shot with that performance.

Someone said in the post fight show that Merab's hand surgery involved like taking a bone from elsewhere to put in his hand, so the timing works out very well for a Chito call out and he'll likely get it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think Aljo will be getting an immediate rematch. They're moving forward with the O'Malley train. Dana just talked about how this was the biggest BW headliner to date, did really well on PPV, called O'Malley a star, they've posted the full finish all over social media which they never do for PPVs, etc. They'll want to capitalize on it.

Aljo's great but he wasn't a dominant champ for years and there are other contenders so I don't think an immediate rematch is really necessary here anyways. The fewer immediate rematches the better.

Dana announcing Wonderboy already turned down a fight with Garry probably isn't a good sign for him being in their good graces going forward.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Dana announcing Wonderboy already turned down a fight with Garry probably isn't a good sign for him being in their good graces going forward.
It's crazy cause he's been a good soldier and everybody loves the guy for who he is... and all it took was one hiccup asking if he was going to get paid for making weight to have Dana just completely throw him under the bus.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The timing of the "Wonderboy turned it down" seems weird to me and people are dissecting it wrong. My guess is that Wonderboy turned down stepping in on this card v Garry, and that's all it means.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
They keep talking about the stoppage but he had his head dribbled off the canvas multiple times
Feels like people really want to see someone get a serious brain trauma in the octagon the way they cry about these stoppages.

O’malley dropped him, then followed it up with atleast 15 punches to his head while he was on his back, arms up and only kicking instinctively, didn’t aknowledge the ref despite clearly been asked to do so and eventually balled up. Had the ref not stopped it people would be crying about late stoppage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I have specific memory of Weili apostrophizing ChiCom leadership- and saying what an honor it would be for her to hold the title contemporaneously to the CCP 75th anniversary commemoration.

So- yeah... Weili is a pretty easy dislike for me.
Not sure you’re aware of what happens to political dissidents in China. You’re mad at somebody for preserving their life and future

This is a sport where popular American fighters needlessly hang out with Chechen warlords. f*** I mean Chris Weidman was getting chants all night and he did that. Her saying nice things about her own government so she can keep seeing her family ain’t much in comparison

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
There's a lot of space between "don't be a dissident" and "be a cheerleader."

"Cheerleader" was definitely the vibe I got from Weili's comments. In fairness, I think the remarks were made a couple of years ago- and maybe she's dialed back the »ring«-kissing a little bit.

I suppose I can hope- but I haven't seen any evidence.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There's a lot of space between "don't be a dissident" and "be a cheerleader."

"Cheerleader" was definitely the vibe I got from Weili's comments. In fairness, I think the remarks were made a couple of years ago- and maybe she's dialed back the »ring«-kissing a little bit.

I suppose I can hope- but I haven't seen any evidence.
If you live in China and they tell you to do something you do it. Sucks but that’s just the reality of the situation.

Reactions: Taytro

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The timing of the "Wonderboy turned it down" seems weird to me and people are dissecting it wrong. My guess is that Wonderboy turned down stepping in on this card v Garry, and that's all it means.

I watched the presser today and I think it's likely he was talking about Wonderboy not accepting to fight on yesterday's card but he also left it vague. I was going off media tweets before and they all implied Wonderboy was offered a fight during the card last night and he told them no, which definitely isn't clear.

BTW, that presser was hilarious and so random. I haven't watched one in a while so I forgot what they can turn into sometimes. When are you coming to Dublin? How about China? Will you come back to Boston soon? Montana?

Someone even asked about Michael Morales' next fight! He fought on the contender series but I'd bet Dana has no idea who that is.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't even know what comments you guys are talking about.

I tried Googling it and all I could find was articles about when Rose said she would rather be 'dead than red' in the lead up to their fight. Ariel asked Rose about it saying that Weili has never made her political views public knowledge. And then Rose proceeds to stumble all over herself. "Uh...no I don't know what she believes, but like...uh...if I did...uh...how would I know that's like....what she even believes and it's not like...uh...what they tell her to believe?"

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think Aljo will be getting an immediate rematch. They're moving forward with the O'Malley train. Dana just talked about how this was the biggest BW headliner to date, did really well on PPV, called O'Malley a star, they've posted the full finish all over social media which they never do for PPVs, etc. They'll want to capitalize on it.

Aljo's great but he wasn't a dominant champ for years and there are other contenders so I don't think an immediate rematch is really necessary here anyways. The fewer immediate rematches the better.
I mean UFC clearly loves O'Malley and want to profit off of him before they tear him down. Especially considering how 98% of the roster wouldn't have got a title shot (or the Yan fight) with his record. He essentially only beat unranked guy's (fought Munoz/Chito but didn't win) before getting the Petr Yan fight. Then he lost that fight on a lot of people's scorecards, definitely didn't do enough to earn a title shot compared to what other guys have done. But here he was and he got the win, they're not going to give him all that market and potential if they don't have to.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I mean UFC clearly loves O'Malley and want to profit off of him before they tear him down. Especially considering how 98% of the roster wouldn't have got a title shot (or the Yan fight) with his record. He essentially only beat unranked guy's (fought Munoz/Chito but didn't win) before getting the Petr Yan fight. Then he lost that fight on a lot of people's scorecards, definitely didn't do enough to earn a title shot compared to what other guys have done. But here he was and he got the win, they're not going to give him all that market and potential if they don't have to.

I completely forgot about that fight. Eye poke stoppage correct? As I recall I think Munoz was winning.

Funny how Munoz and Chito were both on this card as well.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Whatever you think of O'Malley, it's crazy how similar the career arc is between him and Conor. O'Malley is Diet Conor, but still, a lot of things people are saying now about O'Malley, they said about Conor. They fought nobodies on their way up (although one of those nobodies turned into Max Holloway), they prematurely got a top level guy (Poirier/Yan) but then beat him, they would get wrestled to death (Mendes/Sterling), they didn't deserve a title shot and then KO'ed the champ.

I completely forgot about that fight. Eye poke stoppage correct? As I recall I think Munoz was winning.
It was competitive. 2 of the judges gave R1 to Munhoz, 1 to O'Malley.

Total striking was almost identical (26 to 25 for Munhoz). R1 was 19-15 for Munhoz. R2 until the eye poke was 10-7 O'Malley.

FWIW, Munhoz didn't land 1 shot to the head or body. Everything was leg kicks.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Whatever you think of O'Malley, it's crazy how similar the career arc is between him and Conor. O'Malley is Diet Conor, but still, a lot of things people are saying now about O'Malley, they said about Conor. They fought nobodies on their way up (although one of those nobodies turned into Max Holloway), they prematurely got a top level guy (Poirier/Yan) but then beat him, they would get wrestled to death (Mendes/Sterling), they didn't deserve a title shot and then KO'ed the champ.

It was competitive. 2 of the judges gave R1 to Munhoz, 1 to O'Malley.

Total striking was almost identical (26 to 25 for Munhoz). R1 was 19-15 for Munhoz. R2 until the eye poke was 10-7 O'Malley.

FWIW, Munhoz didn't land 1 shot to the head or body. Everything was leg kicks.

Who is the Nate Diaz of featherweight?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Probably Zombie?

Definitely many parallels, though O'Malley losing to Vera who was barely ranked at the time I think is something Conor didn't do.. at least not in the UFC.

Poirier also wasn't really a top contender when Conor beat him.. at least not a #1 contender like Yan. More of a top 5/6 type guy. If you consider Mendes the "Yan", then we're probably back on track.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was going to say Zombie, too.

Fan favorite who was really good (both fought for a title), but was a win some, lose some kind of guy.

The real answer of course is there isn't one.
Probably Zombie?

Definitely many parallels, though O'Malley losing to Vera who was barely ranked at the time I think is something Conor didn't do.. at least not in the UFC.

Poirier also wasn't really a top contender when Conor beat him.. at least not a #1 contender like Yan. More of a top 5/6 type guy. If you consider Mendes the "Yan", then we're probably back on track.
I don't think Chito was ranked, actually, but yeah, Conor had lost prior to coming to the UFC and although I think Chito was winning that fight, it was still a fluke injury that ended it.

Poirier was ranked #5 if memory serves, so yeah, not the #1 contender, but it was still a "if you beat a top 5 guy, we'll give you a title shot".

Side note, is there not a website that tracks what guys were ranked at the time?

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was going to say Zombie, too.

Fan favorite who was really good (both fought for a title), but was a win some, lose some kind of guy.

The real answer of course is there isn't one.

I don't think Chito was ranked, actually, but yeah, Conor had lost prior to coming to the UFC and although I think Chito was winning that fight, it was still a fluke injury that ended it.

Poirier was ranked #5 if memory serves, so yeah, not the #1 contender, but it was still a "if you beat a top 5 guy, we'll give you a title shot".

Side note, is there not a website that tracks what guys were ranked at the time?

There probably is. I usually end up just doing a google search like "2014 march ufc rankings" and something comes up.

I do vaguely remember stumbling across one that had them all and you could just click what month/year you wanted, so I'm sure it's out there.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There probably is. I usually end up just doing a google search like "2014 march ufc rankings" and something comes up.

I do vaguely remember stumbling across one that had them all and you could just click what month/year you wanted, so I'm sure it's out there.
It just seems like something Tapology or something should already be doing. Like they already record what the odds were at the time. Why not what the fighters were ranked?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad