Ufc 200

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I lost all respect for Daniel Cormier.

On the biggest stage in the history of the sport and fighting a 41 year old on 2 days notice, you decide to manhump for 15 minutes? He should embarrassed of his performance.
I saw a champion dominate his opponent with ease, landing quite a bit of ground and pound in the process, not a guy 'manhumping' his opponent.

Perhaps you're watching the wrong sport.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The part that Cormier screwed up on was the post-fight interview. All he had to say was "Hey, I'm sorry I had to make the fight boring but Anderson Silva is the best striker of all time. I didn't want to stand with him or he'd kick my head off. I have so much respect for this guy and for his striking ability, let's give it up for him stepping up for this fight"

Crowd cheers, everyone moves on.

Cormier and the UFC somehow made him the enemy out of all this.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I lost all respect for Daniel Cormier.

On the biggest stage in the history of the sport and fighting a 41 year old on 2 days notice, you decide to manhump for 15 minutes? He should embarrassed of his performance.

Aren't you a GSP fan? That should be your favourite kind of fight.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Aren't you a GSP fan? That should be your favourite kind of fight.

I choked laughing at this comment.

Great comparison.

I hated the fight..: because I hate DC. But this is what I expected from him. Even posted so before hand. This is all DC has ever done. He's the modern day Randy Couture - boring as sin wrestler that avoids fights. Unfortunately that's a safe and effective fighter in this sport.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
That you think Ronda wasn't part of the ping ponging of the title (she lost it) and that you think Nunes vs. Ronda fought in tight spaces would end with Ronda winning tells me what I need to know here.

Amanda is a round 1 beast. Ronda runs straight into precise punches. It's pretty simple.
But Ronda isn't a round one beast?

Ronda had one bad day. Out of 100 fights against Holms Ronda wins 99. For as good as Nunes is she's not on Rondas level.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ronda lost the Holm fight due to lack of technique. It was exposed, the word is out. Straight punches thrown properly beat wide ones every day.

Lost in all this is that Rousey never beat Tate this way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I believe Conor said his plan was the fight in August, then defending his 145 belt, then Nate 3.

Ah, my mistake. He has to defend that belt this year so hopefully that's the case.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Ronda lost the Holm fight due to lack of technique. It was exposed, the word is out. Straight punches thrown properly beat wide ones every day.

Rousey never had to. Ronda had no path to victory against Holm and Holm has an edge in striking to Nunes.

Ronda beat Tate easily twice. Tate beat Holm. Holm struggled with Pennington. Nunes easily beat Tate.

The biggest question is; will we see the old Rousey or is that Ronda gone. The old Ronda destroys Nunes easily. Will be a great fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Which makes the biggest question if Ronda still has it in her to be the best.

Reading into all this, I really don't know. I'm starting to think Ronda is done.

My whole point was that they're much closer than you think. Saying Rousey wins 99% of the time is ridiculous.

But yeah, who knows where Rousey's head is at now.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Rousey was literally running at Holly. In no universe will that ever work against any counterstriker. Much less the best one in the division..

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I choked laughing at this comment.

Great comparison.

I hated the fight..: because I hate DC. But this is what I expected from him. Even posted so before hand. This is all DC has ever done. He's the modern day Randy Couture - boring as sin wrestler that avoids fights. Unfortunately that's a safe and effective fighter in this sport.

Well, it's true. If GSP fans hated Cormier's fight against Silva, I honestly wonder what sort of racism/nationalism is skewing perspective.

The part that Cormier screwed up on was the post-fight interview. All he had to say was "Hey, I'm sorry I had to make the fight boring but Anderson Silva is the best striker of all time. I didn't want to stand with him or he'd kick my head off. I have so much respect for this guy and for his striking ability, let's give it up for him stepping up for this fight"

You're right - I was surprised to hear him not explain himself in that way... the strategy was totally understandable, and giving Anderson some kudos would have been a nice touch. He missed the boat there.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Then Rousey taps her.

That fight went to the ground, and Holly got back up.

He actually said, nearly word for word, on the Fox post-fight show.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I honestly was very impressed with Silva in that fight, despite him losing decisively on the scorecards. He looked very comfortable on the ground and avoided damage with apparent ease, despite being matched up against one of the biggest and most dangerous beasts in the sport (not even many heavyweights more powerful than Cormier), in circumstances where there was no way he could have been anywhere close to properly prepared from a strength/cardio perspective. Despite his exhaustion, his striking was still fast, crisp and precise. He didn't have the freshness to combine it with footwork and combinations effectively, and he couldn't really open up without risk of being taken down, but man, is he fun to watch when the fight is standing.

That's good, I'll have to watch that still... wanted to wait until I got around to seeing the prelims. Unfortunately, only a fraction of viewers see that. In the ring, he only referenced the late replacement and his lack of preparation for Silva.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That fight went to the ground, and Holly got back up.

Sure, but more often than Holm will win standing and Rousey will win on the ground.

As for Cormier, that's fine but he should have said it with millions watching and not on the post-fight show. Big mistake by him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Ronda lost to Holm because she decided to stand there and trade with a renown striker like Holm. That was beyond stupid by Ronda.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Ronda didn't "decide" to stand and trade, she couldn't take Holm down.

Admittedly I'm a huge Lesnar fan, but man that was awesome. Still obviously didn't look comfortable striking, but against a guy like Hunt you can certainly understand why. He took some pretty decent shots and was never phased. Also looked as good physically as his UFC debut against Herring. Personally I think he gets the Miocic/Reem winner.

Not an Anderson fan at all, but I have a lot of respect for what he did this weekend. Not just for taking the fight, but for really holding his own against a very good fighter.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Holmes was well trained against Ronda and Ronda was over confident in here capacities and their was also a matter of luck/unluck.

Due to here overconfidence, Ronda became a one trick pony on the occasion. taking blows generaly also reduces mind's capacity to create and adapt. I also suspect a lack of training. After defending x times here title ... maybe she softened a little bit.

Holmes commented that, during the fight, she recognized many situations with what she trained. A couple of times, she escaped the armbar by a little nothing. Luck was on here side.

Of course training, focus and good game plans help luck to be on your side !

Don't know where Ronda is now ... but would she come back .. i am convinced that she has what it takes to regain the belt. Beyond that, she may be a bit tired and may also have some other Hollywood temptations + a boyfrend.

++

Lesnar is certainly a beast, yet he dealt with a one pony trick ... who, by the way, had a poor fight. In no moment did Hunt try to kick boxe Lesnar. And Hunt has no cardio. So i am not saying that Lesnar's win is worth nothing, i am saying it is worth a victory against an overhyped fighter.

Also, Cain is available for fights at any time, while Lesnar is between WWE and UFC, therefore UFC may tend to favor Lesnar for the title bout while he is looking on the UFC side. If they ask Cain to fight another one, he will accept in spite of being, understandably, disapointed.

++

I am impressed how much the fight of Cain has gone under the radar. Cain was truly impressive ... a better Cain came back. He became cautious.

Funny how so much talk is made about Lesnar-Hunt and so little about Cain-Brown. This is not a fair weight.

I hope Cain has the shot on the title which sounds logical to me.
But in light of the props Lesnar received, i wonder if he will not have the shot at the title and Cain will match the looser of the fight Miocic-Overeem.
Would be unfair on a skill level, but makes sense on a hype / degree of popularity / potential PPV sales level. If the hype is real and not a simple media made up stuff.

++

DC had a tough situation. His style is not loved by the spectators because it is not spectacular when you are in the room it takes place. By TV, it already looks better. I also believe that he had a lot of respect toward Silva, therefore didn't finish him on the ground to avoid inflicting too much damage. Had Silva placed the kicks at the beginning of the fight ... DC would have done way better on the ground and probably finished it before the end bell.

Silva's return is overhyped ... under 2 days notice ... he had nothing to loose ... his fight card shows 4 losses in a row ... and for the money he received and the risk/return the fight presented, anyone would go. Then with the respect DC showed, Silva started not to fear the take down and take confidence and showed his game and the end. This is when the fight ended and the public cheered as if he had won. Poor understanding of what really went on. But crowds are not always smart. (seldom actually).

DC is a great, yet unspectacular fighter. And Silva is lucky his nose or jaw is not broken and should seriously thank DC for that.

++

Nunes is great ... but caught Miesha seriously breaking the nose (still don't know if here nose is broken ... but i guess it is), Miesha, after this, fought by retreating ... and was late by 1/2 second in every exchange. She finaly taped in a choke that wasn't choking here but offered here an opportunity to stop the fight without to much disrespecting here values. (she admires people who don't tap ! to the point that she accepted here arm to be broken ... to avoid the tap). Therefore Nunes looked better and completely overwhelming. It was a highly flatering image that probably doesn't represent the real value of both fighters. (not saying that Miesha is better ... ! no misunderstanding) but it would have been much closer. Beside i am not convinced the hypnotherapy of Miesha is such a good idea. Hypnosis tends to complicate the brain, and therefore slows down reaction time.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Miesha Tate is not that good.

Agree. I thought she would be able to hold out and withstand the early onslaught and win this one, but, I don't think Tate is anything more than a top 5'er. She pulled that Holm win out of her ass. Pena, Zingano, Rousey and Holm all beat her 8/10 times imo.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Holmes was well trained against Ronda and Ronda was over confident in here capacities and their was also a matter of luck/unluck.

Due to here overconfidence, Ronda became a one trick pony on the occasion. taking blows generaly also reduces mind's capacity to create and adapt. I also suspect a lack of training. After defending x times here title ... maybe she softened a little bit.

Holmes commented that, during the fight, she recognized many situations with what she trained. A couple of times, she escaped the armbar by a little nothing. Luck was on here side.

Of course training, focus and good game plans help luck to be on your side !

Don't know where Ronda is now ... but would she come back .. i am convinced that she has what it takes to regain the belt. Beyond that, she may be a bit tired and may also have some other Hollywood temptations + a boyfrend.

++

Lesnar is certainly a beast, yet he dealt with a one pony trick ... who, by the way, had a poor fight. In no moment did Hunt try to kick boxe Lesnar. And Hunt has no cardio. So i am not saying that Lesnar's win is worth nothing, i am saying it is worth a victory against an overhyped fighter.

Also, Cain is available for fights at any time, while Lesnar is between WWE and UFC, therefore UFC may tend to favor Lesnar for the title bout while he is looking on the UFC side. If they ask Cain to fight another one, he will accept in spite of being, understandably, disapointed.

++

I am impressed how much the fight of Cain has gone under the radar. Cain was truly impressive ... a better Cain came back. He became cautious.

Funny how so much talk is made about Lesnar-Hunt and so little about Cain-Brown. This is not a fair weight.

I hope Cain has the shot on the title which sounds logical to me.
But in light of the props Lesnar received, i wonder if he will not have the shot at the title and Cain will match the looser of the fight Miocic-Overeem.
Would be unfair on a skill level, but makes sense on a hype / degree of popularity / potential PPV sales level. If the hype is real and not a simple media made up stuff.

++

DC had a tough situation. His style is not loved by the spectators because it is not spectacular when you are in the room it takes place. By TV, it already looks better. I also believe that he had a lot of respect toward Silva, therefore didn't finish him on the ground to avoid inflicting too much damage. Had Silva placed the kicks at the beginning of the fight ... DC would have done way better on the ground and probably finished it before the end bell.

Silva's return is overhyped ... under 2 days notice ... he had nothing to loose ... his fight card shows 4 losses in a row ... and for the money he received and the risk/return the fight presented, anyone would go. Then with the respect DC showed, Silva started not to fear the take down and take confidence and showed his game and the end. This is when the fight ended and the public cheered as if he had won. Poor understanding of what really went on. But crowds are not always smart. (seldom actually).

DC is a great, yet unspectacular fighter. And Silva is lucky his nose or jaw is not broken and should seriously thank DC for that.

++

Nunes is great ... but caught Miesha seriously breaking the nose (still don't know if here nose is broken ... but i guess it is), Miesha, after this, fought by retreating ... and was late by 1/2 second in every exchange. She finaly taped in a choke that wasn't choking here but offered here an opportunity to stop the fight without to much disrespecting here values. (she admires people who don't tap ! to the point that she accepted here arm to be broken ... to avoid the tap). Therefore Nunes looked better and completely overwhelming. It was a highly flatering image that probably doesn't represent the real value of both fighters. (not saying that Miesha is better ... ! no misunderstanding) but it would have been much closer. Beside i am not convinced the hypnotherapy of Miesha is such a good idea. Hypnosis tends to complicate the brain, and therefore slows down reaction time.

Some interesting thoughts.

The return of Rousey will be really, really interesting. Many thought she would be the kind that would come back hungrier than ever, but since her loss all reports are that she's kind of gone in the opposite direction. The woman's 135 division has become quite interesting since she's been gone.

As for Hunt, you can't expect him to kickbox with Lesnar. If he kicks, he's on his back. He had to keep his hands low and protect against the takedowns, then just land the big shot. I don't think Hunt is overhyped, I think him and Lesnar each had a clear path to victory and whoever won was going to make the other look bad.

Cain looked great, and I do believe he's in line for the title before Brock. They need one more big matchup for Brock and let Cain take a shot at the title. If everything goes right, you do Cain/Brock 2 for the belt eventually. I don't think Brock's done, not even close.

I've already commented on DC in other spots - I thought he fought smart and did all he could do in the cage, but his post-fight interview was terrible. He tries to be liked, but doesn't know how to do it. He is quickly becoming the current Tim Sylvia in that regard.

Tate/Nunes was always going to go one of two ways.. blitz win for Nunes, or Tate would take over the fight. I think most thought Tate could withstand the barrage she was going to get in the first round, but obviously not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad