Speculation: UFAs this Summer

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Molson doesnt even know how salary cap works.
Molson was not even the person that found Gorton to begin with.
Molson has no idea that he has to shred salary at this moment.
If we know how the salary cap work, he surly does

Since when it's not a good idea to do research and ask others connected person about candidate ?

If someone would like to thread salary, it's probably the one who's paying it.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Not at an annual average value north of nine million on a max term deal. He’s looking to get that out of Poile. Imagine what he’ll want on the open market.

If they shed Webers salary they arent going to go out and immediately use it up on one guy. They are not going to get any cap relief until after next season. All the sign Letang, Malking, Forsberg talk is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Trading Toffoli and it makes no sense if you just go waste right after 7.5m for 4 years to Letang after dumping those 2.
Toffoli has nothing to do with the decision to sign Letang or not. Toffoli was traded because he's 30, has 2 years left and not a guy they want to sign in the future starting at age 32, so they sold him rather than take the risk that he doesn't fit with what they're doing next year and his trade value drops. The point of signing Letang would be as a stopgap replacement after trading Petry to insulate players like Romanov/Guhle, and for the possiblity of having that veteran in place already to elevate the team if the young players develop ahead of schedule.

Whether or not you think that makes sense is a matter of opinion, I'm not super into the idea if it's a 4 year term, but Toffoli and Letang have nothing to do with each other when Edmundson is the only veteran dman who's any good that will be around next year.

Reactions: blarneylad

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Toffoli has nothing to do with the decision to sign Letang or not. Toffoli was traded because he's 30, has 2 years left and not a guy they want to sign in the future starting at age 32, so they sold him rather than take the risk that he doesn't fit with what they're doing next year and his trade value drops. The point of signing Letang would be as a stopgap replacement after trading Petry to insulate players like Romanov/Guhle, and for the possiblity of having that veteran in place already to elevate the team if the young players develop ahead of schedule.

Whether or not you think that makes sense is a matter of opinion, I'm not super into the idea if it's a 4 year term, but Toffoli and Letang have nothing to do with each other when Edmundson is the only veteran dman who's any good that will be around next year.
They have something to do , we cleared cap space for the future.
Id rather keep Toffoli for 2 years than give 4 years to Letang whos turning 35.
Why do you think we are trading for no cap coming back ,its obvious as hell at this point.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
When he arrived Bergevin had Pacioretty Subban Plekanec Markov Emelin Price all in or entering their prime.
I know and you can add Gallagher.

That makes 7 players on a 21 players roster; This is where the difference is major, because there was no depth in the team and it was even worst in the farm. When Leblanc is your best prospect..

This season has been a very bad one but Habs have already beat the NHL's record injuries/games. At one point , 24 players have missed time because of the Covid-19 protocol and both Price and Allen where out for a long period.

When Bergevin was fired, Habs had Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Romanov, Toffoli, Hoffman, (both are good scorer having a bad season) Dvorak who's better than what we have seen until now, Chiarot, Edmunston, Petry ( who's also has his worst season by far).

I have to admit that we don't match the combo Subban-Markov for now but this is a team more solid, with more depth and the farm is full of promising players far better than what it was when Bergevin arrived

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Not really............the bad showing that year was injuries. Markov coming out of that miserable year was amazing for the putz Therrien the next few years.
They drafted 3rd OA because of that season, but the team was about to come out strong, because Price was 24 yrs old.....and about to play amazing for the next few years.
Max, PK, Pleky, buyouts all this has been discussed, these were great things to move forward with.
LOL...injuries don't count this season for the bad showing ? Habs have the record of the NHL and the season isn't finished yet

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
They need the lottery. Its so foolish to think this team is going to compete teams you mentioned. The have no 2c, they have no LW, they have no 2RW, they have inconsistent, injured goaltending, and they have a make shift D of Kids, Savard, Ed, and Romo.

Outside Cole and NIck, they have nothing, zero, of high end forwards in the pipeline.
It has to be Wright, even Slafkosky won't do it. The exception is whether Nemec or Jiracek would fetch you a 1st line F in a trade?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
LOL...injuries don't count this season for the bad showing ? Habs have the record of the NHL and the season isn't finished yet
No one said injuries don't count this season................I have no idea what you are talking about.
My quote was geared towards the fact, that Markov being out for so many games, during a tough year, back in 2012.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know and you can add Gallagher.

That makes 7 players on a 21 players roster; This is where the difference is major, because there was no depth in the team and it was even worst in the farm. When Leblanc is your best prospect..

This season has been a very bad one but Habs have already beat the NHL's record injuries/games. At one point , 24 players have missed time because of the Covid-19 protocol and both Price and Allen where out for a long period.

When Bergevin was fired, Habs had Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Romanov, Toffoli, Hoffman, (both are good scorer having a bad season) Dvorak who's better than what we have seen until now, Chiarot, Edmunston, Petry ( who's also has his worst season by far).

I have to admit that we don't match the combo Subban-Markov for now but this is a team more solid, with more depth and the farm is full of promising players far better than what it was when Bergevin arrived
Defending Bergevin again I see...............interesting.........

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Defending Bergevin again I see...............interesting.........
of course, because i like the double standard when it comes to speak about him.

First, Bergevin received a team that finished 29th , but "it was a very good team victim of a massive number of injured players ( Markov especially) " . This season, Habs beat the NHL's record of injuries, missed both Price and Weber after making the finals . But it seems that it doesn't count, because some fans accuse him of being the worst GM of all time...

2nd. First seasons of Bergevin, " he inherited a very good team, so his success were attributable to his predecessors " . This time we will see what happens next seasons, because from now, all the players of the roster, the players drafted , the ones that will be drafted, the returns of the players traded but that were here during Bergevin era, are going to be his heritage.

Am i right ?

Reactions: Scintillating10

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

First, Bergevin received a team that finished 29th , but "it was a very good team victim of a massive number of injured players ( Markov especially) " . This season, Habs beat the NHL's record of injuries, missed both Price and Weber after making the finals . But it seems that it doesn't count, because some fans accuse him of being the worst GM of all time...

2nd. First seasons of Bergevin, " he inherited a very good team, so his success were attributable to his predecessors " . This time we will see what happens next seasons, because from now, all the players of the roster, the players drafted , the ones that will be drafted, the returns of the players traded but that were here during Bergevin era, are going to be his heritage.

Am i right ?

Bergevin's success at the beginning was a results of his predecessors cause his core players was almost 100% given to him. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Markov, Plekanec, Eller, Gorges.....

What proven kids or vets did Bergevin left HuGo?
Price, Gallagher....those he was given.....a couple of unproven, undevelopped prospect where all the work needs to be done. And we now 100% know that he was going to screw up Romanov, Suzuki and Caufield by backing a terrible coach like Ducharme, there was no way he was firing him this season.

It's not the same situation at all.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Am i right ?
Of course you are right...........you are always right!!
Not sure you wanna die on the hill, defending your fave GM.
Ask yourself one question...........Do you as a GM want to inherit a team with a 24 yr old HOF goalie, or a 34 yr old HOF goalie....
He did inherit a better situation than he left....we all know it. We are in cap hell, at the moment, and Bergevin had TWO free buyouts....the list goes on and on....
Bergevin dropped the ball and it's not that hard to admit.
10 years into the job and he build a bottom feeder.
Our new regime has their work cut out for them, luckily they seem to be suing their brains to get us out of a tough situation. Bergevin simply used Price and rode him like a mule to fix his problems.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We need to really be thinking about a long term rebuild here. I find myself falling into the trap after a few outstanding Suzuki/Caufield games of wanting that quick fix, but at the end of the day, we need to just allow this team start from the ground up.

Top 3 pick this year of Wright, Slaf, Cooley

Top 3 pick next year of Bedard, Michkov or Fantilli

Kiviharju coming up in 2024.

If we can somehow land 1 of those from 2022 and 1 of those from 2023 I'd be very happy. Add in Kivi in 2024 and we are set. Oiler lottery luck is what we need for three straight years.

2025 starting line

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Roy - Bedard - Anderson
Ylonen - Kidney - Gally
Gaucher - Evans - Farrell

Barron - Guhle
Romanov - Kivi
Harris - Mailloux

Any UFA's should be short term. I'll stop dreaming and fantasizing now

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Screw UFA's , you guys trying to compete next year havent learned anything in the past 2 decades and a half? Shame on you
Only UFAs they should be signing are vets who can lead and will take one year contracts. That way the younger players don't have to be rushed and said vets can teach, eat minutes and be traded at the deadline for picks or whatever to go try to win a cup.

The only other type of UFA they could consider are the 4th line guys that will be 2 or 3 year deals but not for high dollars. This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I would love to see Deslauriers here. I wish he would never have left. But the way he is playing and more importantly hyped up, he will likely be overpaid somewhere.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Only UFAs they should be signing are vets who can lead and will take one year contracts. That way the younger players don't have to be rushed and said vets can teach, eat minutes and be traded at the deadline for picks or whatever to go try to win a cup.

The only other type of UFA they could consider are the 4th line guys that will be 2 or 3 year deals but not for high dollars. This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I would love to see Deslauriers here. I wish he would never have left. But the way he is playing and more importantly hyped up, he will likely be overpaid somewhere.
Im fine with old men on 1 or 2 year deals but there's no way we should be looking to give any term to any of these UFA's . Our cap structure is already messed up as it is

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Screw UFA's , you guys trying to compete next year havent learned anything in the past 2 decades and a half? Shame on you

Signing a UFA or two does not mean you're gunning for a Cup. For the right deal, would I take Letang on the team if it means Petry was traded/we move a couple a spots but we gain a productive HOF who would do a lot for our team culture and young players? Without hesitation. It's not like any UFA tilts this team from where they are to a playoff contender.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Signing a UFA or two does not mean you're gunning for a Cup. For the right deal, would I take Letang on the team if it means Petry was traded/we move a couple a spots but we gain a productive HOF who would do a lot for our team culture and young players? Without hesitation. It's not like any UFA tilts this team from where they are to a playoff contender.
Yeah but giving 3-4 + year deals isint the move this offseason

Reactions: Habby4Life

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If they are going to sign UFAs they should be guys on 1yr deals. There is zero need for guys like Letang etc. Guys like him will want term and dollar, and we have enough bad contracts. I’d rather sign Wideman to a 1-2 yr deal.

They have Eddy, Savard, and Romo as vets that play along the young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad