Speculation: UFAs this Summer

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
We have different ideas of what "hell of a team" is?
compared to what Bergevin had when he arrived . I agree i went to far with the "hell" :laugh:, but i like what i see when when the team is in health, when i look who is the top players of each leagues and see names of players drafted by the Habs

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I speak about the overall team, because a lot of draftees are doing very well and few are dominating their respective league. Added to the Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Edmunston, Romanov, Chiarot , Toffoli( That Hughes traded but they were there and were used to get other values). Hoffman and Dvorak are both way better then what we have seen, and a tot of good role players .

I see it way differently.

No 2nd C
LW is a shambles 1-4
No 2RW
Average D at best - kids coming but not all will make it and not all will be top 4, right now we are in the middle of the love fest.
Overpaid, Injury Prone probably un-tradable Goalie with no real legit starter prospect.
Top 6 - NS and CC - no legit top prospects in the pool.

Hoffman is junk
DVO is a 3c

Team has holes everywhere, limited prospects, and are in cap hell. Hughes inherited a dumpster fire.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I doubt we’ll end up drafting Wright but if we do, I’d bet my left nut he’s on the Habs roster next year to start the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Outside Klingberg and Letang, which RD could be available this summer? Colin Miller on a 3rd pairing? How is he doing in Buffalo? Honestly, once the Klingberg is signed, we should see Petry value raises.

Asif10

Mar 16, 2022
24-32 With ur slow ass top 4 in the weakest divison of all time
last in the league this season

Yes the d corp is trash , move on. Not because Barron looked ok for 2 games means our defensive squad just went better. Still have only 1 dman in the top 4 as for now A.K.A Romanov.

Agree to disagree with you on this.
how are you agreeing to disagreeing when his argument was its not the same players yesterday vs today and it wont be the same player today vs tomorrow ???

lol i agree you didnt read his comments

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Malkin 3 years x 10 million

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Pitlick - Malkin - Anderson
Hoffman - Dvorak - Ylonen
Evans - Poehling - Armia

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

Evans - Poehling - Armia
If Malkin doesn't resign with the Pens I am pretty sure he will sign somewhere that wants him as a 1C he has been living under Crosby shadow his entire career.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
If Malkin doesn't resign with the Pens I am pretty sure he will sign somewhere that wants him as a 1C he has been living under Crosby shadow his entire career.

Well, he's turning 36 this summer, and has been hurt more often than not those last 3 years, still a great player but I'm sure he knows it's probably his last contract and won't be relied upon to be a 1st C, can't really see him sign elsewhere myself, but if he does, I think he'll aim a contender for sure, not a bottom team.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
compared to what Bergevin had when he arrived . I agree i went to far with the "hell" :laugh:, but i like what i see when when the team is in health, when i look who is the top players of each leagues and see names of players drafted by the Habs
When he arrived Bergevin had Pacioretty Subban Plekanec Markov Emelin Price all in or entering their prime.

Reactions: ReHabs

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Evans - Poehling - Armia
so cap space is not an issue, Gallagher Byron and Drouin sit out ?

in addition, you won t be able to sign Caufield next year and you won t contend with Slaf on your first line in D+1. You ll also be lucky if Malkin plays 60 games a season.

this sounds like a very bad plan.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
By your standards, Bergevin inherited a hell of a team too.

Markov, Plekanec, Gionta, Bourque, Emelin, Gorges, Desharnais

Carey fkn Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Eller

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu

Two compliance buy-outs for Gomez and Kaberle

That’s a hell of an inheritance

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
As for UFAs, while I’d really love to see the Habs sign some good names to reinforce the supposedly new, aggressive winner’s mentality of the organization (“we don’t play for the tie.” — MSL) I’m not sure how the offseason will play out with so many cap/contract questions marks.

We need Price to play this year for two reasons: to prove to the Habs that we can rely on him next year and to prove to potential buyers that they can rely on him next year.

Drouin is out and we can consider his caphit frozen until the next trade deadline.

Byron and Armia likely have no market, so consider their cap hits frozen too. Not saying they’re not gonna be moved but that it’s unlikely for there to be a big rush from the Habs to shift them as there doesn't seem to be a market for them.

Gallagher needs to keep putting up points for the same two reasons as Price: to prove to us and potential buyers that he has value. It's a high priority to move him if possible.

Petry probably has a market. Not concerned.

Dvorak, do we keep him? I think he has a market too. Not too concerned either.

We definitely need a top3 D even if we're rebuilding. That would be my priority. I would also consider keeping Wideman.

I'm more comfortable with the forwards as they are. Play Pitlick top6? Sure, who cares. Give tons of minutes to Poehling and Ylonen? That's fine with me.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Markov was 34 years old coming off 3 major knee surgeries. Habs had third worst team in league in 2012. Randy Cunneyworth was our head coach. That team was a mess.
HuGo inherited the worst coach in Habs history (Ducharme), a 34 year old Petry who had like 5 points or something and a dreadful contract, and it was also a bottom3 worst team in the league. Just Gallagher's contract, Weber's contract, and Price's contract are bigger problems than anything the Ancien Régime left Bergevin.

This team HuGo inherited is a much more complicated, multi-dimensionally disarranged team than that which Bergevin inherited. The contract commitments, the flat cap, the disarray in the scouting/development department, and the lack of compliance buyouts make HuGo's job much harder than Bergevin's in 2012.

Looking at it purely from a positive assets perspective, no contracts or anything...

Core futures inheritance left for Bergevin: Price, Subban, Pacioretty, 3rd Overall
Core futures Inheritance left for HuGo: Suzuki, Caufield, (Top Pick)

HuGo doesn't have a young, established top2 d-man nor a budding superstar goalie... and as we've heard many times, this isn't playstation and those players are hard to get because oftentimes the prices are too high.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Markov was 34 years old coming off 3 major knee surgeries. Habs had third worst team in league in 2012. Randy Cunneyworth was our head coach. That team was a mess.
Not really............the bad showing that year was injuries. Markov coming out of that miserable year was amazing for the putz Therrien the next few years.
They drafted 3rd OA because of that season, but the team was about to come out strong, because Price was 24 yrs old.....and about to play amazing for the next few years.
Max, PK, Pleky, buyouts all this has been discussed, these were great things to move forward with.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
HuGo inherited the worst coach in Habs history (Ducharme), a 34 year old Petry who had like 5 points or something and a dreadful contract, and it was also a bottom3 worst team in the league. Just Gallagher's contract, Weber's contract, and Price's contract are bigger problems than anything the Ancien Régime left Bergevin.

This team HuGo inherited is a much more complicated, multi-dimensionally disarranged team than that which Bergevin inherited. The contract commitments, the flat cap, the disarray in the scouting/development department, and the lack of compliance buyouts make HuGo's job much harder than Bergevin's in 2012.

Looking at it purely from a positive assets perspective, no contracts or anything...

Core futures inheritance left for Bergevin: Price, Subban, Pacioretty, 3rd Overall
Core futures Inheritance left for HuGo: Suzuki, Caufield, (Top Pick)

HuGo doesn't have a young, established top2 d-man nor a budding superstar goalie... and as we've heard many times, this isn't playstation and those players are hard to get because oftentimes the prices are too high.
Bergs good us to Finals though. That's huge. Great spring, plus good Bubble. HuGo likely never get us there.

HuGo was left good core. Suzuki, Caufield, Romano, Guhle, Roy. Probably first overall pick. Caufield best player we had since Mats Naslund. Both equal to me.

HuGo left probably more. Toffoli and those other trade deadline pieces were all Bergs acquisitions, which he gave up nil to acquire. Bergs never inherited valuable trade deadline chips like that.

Reactions: Mandala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad