Speculation: UFAs this Summer

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
So with the full management change, the desire to play a fast offensive game, and a great coach with new philosophies in MSL I think it’s not out of the question that offensively-gifted UFAs start thinking about coming to Montreal even as early as this summer to be part of what’s happening here.

With that in mind, who do you think might give this team a new look?

I think the possible linkages to Bergeron and Letang have been mentioned already but what are other less spoken about names that might want to try playing into MSLs concepts?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Letang is the obvious one, but it feels like a UFA signing would be contingent to the likes of Petry, Dvorak, Gallagher, Drouin and Hoffman being traded.

David Perron, Rickard Rackell, Evan Rodrigues (buyers' beware a bit though...) and Andreas Athanasiou (as a pure reclamation project) comes to mind as relevant UFAs.

Calle Jarnkrok, Zach Aston-Reese and Tyler Motte could be decent support players, guys that you sign so you don't rush players who aren't ready.

This obviously doesn't consider non-qualified RFAs or Arbitration walk-aways, or any potential offer sheet for obvious reasons.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If we could get him on a one-year deal, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Colin Miller. He was good on Vegas, but has struggled in Buffalo like most of their team.

We'll need a RHD assuming Petry is traded and Wideman isn't brought back, he can get lots of PP time here to potentially boost his value and we could flip him at the deadline.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
No place for UFA forwards (already 11 signed, and Habs have a few RFAs to signs/prospects to fill the remaining spots) unless there are more trades for picks/prospects.
Defense will have places open, but cap will be a concern unless Weber/Price contracts are dealt with.

Andreas Athanasiou (as a pure reclamation project)

He brings everyone he plays with down. At 27, I don't think he's salvageable.

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
I have a sneaking suspicion Hughes brings in Letang to fill the gaping right side hole on d and gives him the C

3 ir 4 year deal

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Letang is interested, he’s an obvious target. If Tyler Motte could be a target if he dosen’t ask to much. He’s a style of player that can help in a rebuilding team

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No place for UFA forwards (already 11 signed, and Habs have a few RFAs to signs/prospects to fill the remaining spots) unless there are more trades for picks/prospects.
Defense will have places open, but cap will be a concern unless Weber/Price contracts are dealt with.

He brings everyone he plays with down. At 27, I don't think he's salvageable.

I don't think he is either, but it feels like not listing him would've been wrong.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Please look up Montreal's cap situation on cap friendly.

which is highly dependent on what happens to Price/Weber since that's over 18M in cap space. We'll see what they say tomorrow about Price's status. But with the way it's gone for him this year I can't help but think of the comments from Waite about Price.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If Letang is interested, he’s an obvious target. If Tyler Motte could be a target if he dosen’t ask to much. He’s a style of player that can help in a rebuilding team

If chiarot and Petry are gone, letang would be a good get. I know we want the youth to develop but there's plenty of ice time available even if they get a guy like Letang. He could be a good mentor candidate.

Having said that I have not seen Letang play in a long time so its contingent on him still being a serviceable player.

Reactions: Vachon23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
which is highly dependent on what happens to Price/Weber since that's over 18M in cap space. We'll see what they say tomorrow about Price's status. But with the way it's gone for him this year I can't help but think of the comments from Waite about Price.

Montreal needs Weber to either retire or LTIRetire if they want to retain guys like Romanov or Lehkonen next season, let alone go after UFAs.

We still don't know about what the situation is with Price, but I don't give any credence to Waite. But even if Price is finished (and I think that unlikely), I have a very hard time imagining that a rebuilding Montreal team is going to want to spend more to be close to the cap. Especially since offseason spending is partially how they got into the current mess.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Reactions: Runner77

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Montreal needs Weber to either retire or LTIRetire if they want to retain guys like Romanov or Lehkonen next season, let alone go after UFAs.

We still don't know about what the situation is with Price, but I don't give any credence to Waite. But even if Price is finished (and I think that unlikely), I have a very hard time imagining that a rebuilding Montreal team is going to want to spend more to be close to the cap. Especially since offseason spending is partially how they got into the current mess.

With Weber since it's said he's all but retired, we would have over 9.5M in cap space. Then there's Price, which we'll know more tomorrow, since he was skating I thought he would be back this season but now that he's not skating again I am guessing we don't see him but we'll see what they say. I assume he's back next season but the comments on Waite and him not playing a single game this year certainly have me concerned.

Then you have to consider what other moves do they make, does Petry or Leks or whoever else get moved. So for now the cap isn't too much of a concern.

But I didn't say they should spend on UFA's, just pointing out that they aren't in that bad of shape depending on Price/Weber and what moves they make.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
If chiarot and Petry are gone, letang would be a good get. I know we want the youth to develop but there's plenty of ice time available even if they get a guy like Letang. He could be a good mentor candidate.

Having said that I have not seen Letang play in a long time so its contingent on him still being a serviceable player.
Well me neither but he’s got 47pts in 48 games. Not too bad for a D ;) Only 34 too.

Reactions: Vachon23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
With Weber since it's said he's all but retired, we would have over 9.5M in cap space. Then there's Price, which we'll know more tomorrow, since he was skating I thought he would be back this season but now that he's not skating again I am guessing we don't see him but we'll see what they say. I assume he's back next season but the comments on Waite and him not playing a single game this year certainly have me concerned.

Then you have to consider what other moves do they make, does Petry or Leks or whoever else get moved. So for now the cap isn't too much of a concern.

But I didn't say they should spend on UFA's, just pointing out that they aren't in that bad of shape depending on Price/Weber and what moves they make.

Almost every team is either tight against the cap or can't afford to spend, I have a hard time seeing Montreal clearing Petry's contract without taking money back. Lehkonen is different, but he's not expensive one way or another.

The context of my post was also that this is a thread about UFAs and people mentioning expensive UFAs like Letang and Bergeron.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Almost every team is either tight against the cap or can't afford to spend, I have a hard time seeing Montreal clearing Petry's contract without taking money back. Lehkonen is different, but he's not expensive one way or another.

The context of my post was also that this is a thread about UFAs and people mentioning expensive UFAs like Letang and Bergeron.

we'll see but maybe at the draft i wonder if the wings would have interest, if they think they can be a playoff team next year, I'm sure he would love to go home and they have the cap space. Just wild speculation of course, as who knows what the Habs plans are as I don't think they will go full on rebuild although Price could influence that a lot if somehow he is done which would be shocking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad