Speculation: UFAs this Summer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not really............the bad showing that year was injuries. Markov coming out of that miserable year was amazing for the putz Therrien the next few years.
They drafted 3rd OA because of that season, but the team was about to come out strong, because Price was 24 yrs old.....and about to play amazing for the next few years.
Max, PK, Pleky, buyouts all this has been discussed, these were great things to move forward with.
I disagree with you there. The 2012 was one of worst drafts ever. There wasn't much in our farm. Cunneyworth was a terrible coach. Scotty Gomez was horrendous caphit. Habs were in bad shape.

I think Bergs done good job. Certainly lasted long enough, 10 years.

• Haha
Reactions: the

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I'm sure Malkin can't wait to sign here so he gets to play with studs like Pitlick and Anderson. And look at that amazing depth, the rebuild is over! :sarcasm:

I also love how Gallagher and his albatross contract somehow disappeared lmao, if only.

I know, let’s sign Malkin, trade for Karlsson, etc. Hugo is going to go full on PS5.

Edmhabber

Nov 9, 2021
I can’t imagine why our new admin would want to sign a high priced UFA in the next couple of years. We have to build from within by continuing to develop, promote and play our draft picks. We have to give those picks and prospects added by trades a chance. We can then tweak our roster with a UFA or two down the road.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Forsberg - Malkin - Anderson
Pitlick - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Dvorak - Ylonen
Evans - Poehling - Gallagher

Romanov - Petry
Edmonson - Barron
Evans - Savard

Allen
Montembeault

Price, Weber, Drouin, Armia, Gone.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
HuGo is free to use every penny that they gain by getting rid of Gallagher, Savard, Drouin, Dvorak, Anderson, Armia, Byron, Hoffman and Price.

Do not try to compete with all these players included. Trade deadline was very good, now it's time to do some heavy lifting and really separate yourselves from Bozovin.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I can’t imagine why our new admin would want to sign a high priced UFA in the next couple of years. We have to build from within by continuing to develop, promote and play our draft picks. We have to give those picks and prospects added by trades a chance. We can then tweak our roster with a UFA or two down the road.
I mean if a 27 yrs old player like Forsberg want to sign here (what I doubt), you don’t ask yourself twice and you do it ! He would be dominant for us for many years

Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Romanov - Petry
Edmonson - Barron
Evans - Savard

Allen
Montembeault

If Anderson can't play with Suzuki and Caufield, he won't be able to with Forsberg and Malkin, not that they're coming here.

But really, if Anderson can't play with Suzuki and Caufield, he can't play with skilled players, and that makes him a 3td liner. And that makes him a 3rd liner that isn't good along the wall or defensively on a huge cap hit with a huge amount of term left. And that means he needs to be moved if a team shows interest.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Romanov - Petry
Edmonson - Barron
Evans - Savard

Allen
Montembeault

Wow, Hugo was able to move all those bad contracts and not retain any salary or take any bad contracts back. Its a XMAS miracle.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
It’ll be interesting to see how the team looks next season after a full summer with the new management. I know they aren’t going to trade everyone but right now it still feels like they are still babysitting Bergevins kids .

Reactions: amethyst

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I mean if a 27 yrs old player like Forsberg want to sign here (what I doubt), you don’t ask yourself twice and you do it ! He would be dominant for us for many years

From what I’ve read I expect Forsberg to get a long term contract in the range of $9 million AAV.

My worry would be he is having a career year in a contract year. Would Forsberg continue to produce at the same rate as he has this season, 38 goals, 70 points in 57 games. Or would he regress and produce at the same rate as his 2019-20 & 20-21 seasons where he 33 goals, 80 points over a total of 103 games.

Would Habs fans be ok with Forsberg at $9 million if he produced at the latter rate which translates to 26 goals and 64 points over a season.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
From what I’ve read I expect Forsberg to get a long term contract in the range of $9 million AAV.

My worry would be he is having a career year in a contract year. Would Forsberg continue to produce at the same rate as he has this season, 38 goals, 70 points in 57 games. Or would he regress and produce at the same rate as his 2019-20 & 20-21 seasons where he 33 goals, 80 points over a total of 103 games.

Would Habs fans be ok with Forsberg at $9 million if he produced at the latter rate which translates to 26 goals and 64 points over a season.

Not sure where they get the 9mil to sign him. Even if they found the money, why would he come here?

The last thing the habs should do is lock UFAs into big deals while trying to get out of cap hell.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Not sure where they get the 9mil to sign him. Even if they found the money, why would he come here?

The last thing the habs should do is lock UFAs into big deals while trying to get out of cap hell.

I don’t expect they will but a lot of Habs fans seem to be hoping for that big signing.

My expectation is Hughes will look for players that fit the timeline of the Habs being contenders in 3-5 years, while keeping future cap space to land a bigger free agent in those years. That means he doesn’t sign players like Letang, Malkin, or the big long term free agents this off-season.

It really seems the Habs finally have a plan and are building the team in a certain direction. I can’t see them deviating from that with the hopes they can build a team that compete for the playoffs in the short term, unless it’s with players that will also be contributing 4-5 years down the road.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Bergs good us to Finals though. That's huge. Great spring, plus good Bubble. HuGo likely never get us there.

HuGo was left good core. Suzuki, Caufield, Romano, Guhle, Roy. Probably first overall pick. Caufield best player we had since Mats Naslund. Both equal to me.

HuGo left probably more. Toffoli and those other trade deadline pieces were all Bergs acquisitions, which he gave up nil to acquire. Bergs never inherited valuable trade deadline chips like that.
Berg also got the team to dead last in the NHL and bottom3 and bottom10 too many times. One fluke run to the cup finals (where the Habs got easily dealt with and handedly punished by the Lightning) doesn’t undo the greater context.

If reaching the cup finals is huge, then so is cratering the team three times.

Bergevin doesn’t get credit for leaving a top pick, he didn’t plan to tank and he didn’t sell any assets — he gave Petry, Gallagher, and Armia extensions while signing Savard and Hoffman to compete again this year.

I wouldn’t call Caufield the Habs’ best player since Naslund — that’s a strange claim for what is still a rookie. He isn’t a better player than Habs prime Markov, Koivu, Pacioretty, Kovalev, or obviously Subban or Price. Then there is Turgeon and Damphousse and others I’m too young to be able to accurately cite.

Between the names you’ve listed only three of the five have played any NHL minutes and only Suzuki and Caufield are especially notable players worth crediting Bergevin with. Recall that he gave Sergachev away for what amounted to be nothing.

As for Toffoli, there was no desire or intention from Bergevin to sell him. Bergevin signed Toffoli and Chiarot and others to fill in gaps left by his organization’s truly dreadful player development. In 2012 the Habs could’ve sold Markov, Gionta, Desharnais, Emelin, Gorges, Bourque, Eller, and Plekanec too — Bergevin chose to hold onto nearly all of them and/or lose them for free.

I’m going to drop the issue but I don’t understand how anyone can claim HuGo don’t have an incredibly difficult project ahead of them.

1) From a cap commitment standpoint it cannot get any worse. It’ll be very hard to clear cap space.

2) From a core player standpoint the Habs have one (maybe two) actual core players despite so many contract commitments. So not just shedding cap but also replacing all these core roles in a highly competitive market is its own massive challenge.

3) The two above arguments deal with player turnover. What does HuGo do with the immovable contract commitments? What does HuGo do with Price’s and Gallagher’s contracts and their NTC/NMCs?

It’s just not comparable, the cap is flat or nearly flat for at least another year too. It’s just a really tough scene and if the Habs overachieve it mustn’t be forgotten.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I’d rather a 0.8ppg Forsberg at 9m than Drouin+Byron at a combined 0.8ppg.

I’d rather 0.8ppg Forsberg at 9m than Gallagher at 0.35ppg and 6.5m.

It’s a moot point because the Habs don’t look attractive to top FAs until/unless something massively changes and convinces FAs that the Habs have the goaltending and the defence and the depth needed to compete.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I don't expect him to be 100 pts player each year for sure, but he's still an elite 1st line winger that is only 27 (28 next year) and with great size. In 4-5 years when we will be at maturity, he would only have 32 and will probably still be an elite player.

Those type of player are extremely tough to get, so if he's interested in playing, it's a no brainer for me. He's the only player that I would be interested to sign in a long-term deal this summer. But like I said, I would be surprise if Montreal is on top of his list.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Right now as it stands and it's all depending on their demands and our situation with the cap space, there's not many UFA I would consider.

Gaudreau, Forsberg, Malkin, Letang, Bergeron, Klingberg are the only one I would strongly consider if their asks is not stupid....and expect a good couple of them to have stupid demands. But if it makes sense and considering all of them would fill a need, if we have the money, I say let's go for it.

Other than that, maybe Kadri, Strome or Trocheck, cause they play center but I suspect all 3 of them wull have ridiculous demands and If we draft a center with our top pick, that might change my mind about this.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Berg also got the team to dead last in the NHL and bottom3 and bottom10 too many times. One fluke run to the cup finals (where the Habs got easily dealt with and handedly punished by the Lightning) doesn’t undo the greater context.

If reaching the cup finals is huge, then so is cratering the team three times.

Bergevin doesn’t get credit for leaving a top pick, he didn’t plan to tank and he didn’t sell any assets — he gave Petry, Gallagher, and Armia extensions while signing Savard and Hoffman to compete again this year.

I wouldn’t call Caufield the Habs’ best player since Naslund — that’s a strange claim for what is still a rookie. He isn’t a better player than Habs prime Markov, Koivu, Pacioretty, Kovalev, or obviously Subban or Price. Then there is Turgeon and Damphousse and others I’m too young to be able to accurately cite.

Between the names you’ve listed only three of the five have played any NHL minutes and only Suzuki and Caufield are especially notable players worth crediting Bergevin with. Recall that he gave Sergachev away for what amounted to be nothing.

As for Toffoli, there was no desire or intention from Bergevin to sell him. Bergevin signed Toffoli and Chiarot and others to fill in gaps left by his organization’s truly dreadful player development. In 2012 the Habs could’ve sold Markov, Gionta, Desharnais, Emelin, Gorges, Bourque, Eller, and Plekanec too — Bergevin chose to hold onto nearly all of them and/or lose them for free.

I’m going to drop the issue but I don’t understand how anyone can claim HuGo don’t have an incredibly difficult project ahead of them.

1) From a cap commitment standpoint it cannot get any worse. It’ll be very hard to clear cap space.

2) From a core player standpoint the Habs have one (maybe two) actual core players despite so many contract commitments. So not just shedding cap but also replacing all these core roles in a highly competitive market is its own massive challenge.

3) The two above arguments deal with player turnover. What does HuGo do with the immovable contract commitments? What does HuGo do with Price’s and Gallagher’s contracts and their NTC/NMCs?

It’s just not comparable, the cap is flat or nearly flat for at least another year too. It’s just a really tough scene and if the Habs overachieve it mustn’t be forgotten.
Lol! One fluke run. Bergs got us to semi-final another year. Was only a Kredier fall on Price from another Cup Final. Bergs has exact same record in his 9 years as Yzerman did with Tampa. Don't go on nonsense today

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lol! One fluke run. Bergs got us to semi-final another year. Was only a Kredier fall on Price from another Cup Final. Bergs has exact same record in his 9 years as Yzerman did with Tampa. Don't go on nonsense today
Bergevin gets credit for riding a HOF goalie all the way to the bank
Literally wasted Prices best years

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Except when Yzerman left TB he left them with a core that would go on to win multiple Cups. When Bergevin was let go from the Habs he left them as the worst team in the NHL on their way to the worst Habs season in 70 years, with Ducharme as coach, and multiple bad contracts.

While Bergevin was at the helm when they got to the Confernce Finals in his 2nd season as GM once he put his imprint on the team they went 5 straight seasons without a single (7 game) playoff series win.

While the Cup run was exciting to watch as a fan, it will end up just being a Cinderella run with no banner hanging from the rafters. The other problem was that it wasn’t success the team could build on and replicate in future seasons. As a Habs fan I’m looking for a management group that can build a team that will be perennial contenders. That we don’t have to hope the team can somehow make the playoffs where anything can happen.

Reactions: zeeto and ReHabs

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

They will do it if Molson asked them to try to make the playoff next year (hopefully it’s not the plan).

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
They will do it if Molson asked them to try to make the playoff next year (hopefully it’s not the plan).
Molson doesnt even know how salary cap works.
Molson was not even the person that found Gorton to begin with.
Molson has no idea that he has to shred salary at this moment.

If Molson had any saying in this , he would have kept Lekhonen. Trading Toffoli and it makes no sense if you just go waste right after 7.5m for 4 years to Letang after dumping those 2.

This team is still in cap hell and most of the contracts are impossible to move until the next deadline. Habs objective right now is to take 2 years backwards and perhaps try to move 3 times forward after those 2 years.

We are not going into cap hell for another high priced ufa whos 35. At this pace Caufield salary will be really high if he pulls a 35 goals 30-35 assists next season.
The entire Weber LITR money will go to Caufield.

Habs should focus making a hockey trade to get a winger for Suzuki and Caufield or find a real 2nd center , or any second line player that fits with the core of this team age , aka Suzuki Romanov Caufield.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom and amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad