GWT: UCL Matchweek I

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Every goal I see him score for Ajax is a five yard tap-in with only the goalkeeper in front of him. The Eredivisie is a good level for him, and a powerhouse Ajax side that goes into most matches 95% favorites even more so.

I'd rather have him in Köln to replace Modeste next season to replicate what he did with Frankfurt (15 league goals). He'd play in a better league against better opponents almost every week. Köln probably can't afford him though (given that they lost their most promising young player Ismail Jakobs to Monaco relatively cheap) and are highly unlikely to be able to offer him CL during his career.

So I understand why a player would rather stay with a top team in a lesser league scoring against poorer opponents, especially if they pay him more.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Adeyemi is an absolute superstar. He’s a 100 million player in the future. Luka Sucic looks like a monster too.
Thanks for this, I was coming in here and wanted to know more as I've been reading some post-CL comments and it seems everywhere...like everywhere has amazing things to say about him.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for this, I was coming in here and wanted to know more as I've been reading some post-CL comments and it seems everywhere...like everywhere has amazing things to say about him.
Adeyemi is the perfect example of how elite explosiveness can get you anywhere. He’s a freakish monster of an athlete with just ridiculous speed. The difficult thing is having elite ball manipulation with that explosiveness, and I haven’t watched him enough to decide if he has that. Adeyemi is destined for the top regardless. He can impose himself on games unilaterally because he's simply faster than everyone. And if he's skillful and makes great decisions on and off the ball (which looks probable but I can’t say yet) you have a top, top player. I can definately say already that he has amazing ball striking.

Reactions: S E P H

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Karim has the quick feet to operate comfortably in tight spaces -- see the goal he scored on his senior NT debut -- and has made a lot of progress in possession against teams who are sitting deep & in shape since Salzburg have to deal with that often in league play...though he's still learning that part of the game & is more lethal when he has space to race into, for now.

His ceiling has been huge since he's matured past the issues he had during his first Bayern stint & he has been developing well...atm he looks like Gnabry if Serge had Sane's ball control & explosiveness/quickness. I'd like him to go to one more club before landing with a Bayern or Barca...someone like Gladbach or Leipzig would be good for him IMO...but he could go straight to a giant and contribute.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yup - when I did my Footie tour in 2018 I was consistently shocked about the prices. Especially compared to Raps and Leafs tickets in Toronto.

Going to one avs game a year at the United Center with a friend, costs me more than Union's annual membership dues...even before accounting for concessions or transport costs.

Going to just 1 knicks game at the Garden would cost me more than attending every Union match, paying full price each time, including transport costs to each away game.

It's absolutely insane how much it costs to attend sporting events in NA.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Crazy week and with the crappy distribution of the CL I didn't get to the Bayern match. A few things based on what I've seen, read and read in this thread:
  • Glad Barça lost. Shows the board both the squad's level and Koeman's, but I think they knew that. With regards to the manager, sounds like it was a cowardly approach. To be fair to him there were some key injuries.
  • Highlights only show so much and it sounds like it was a dominant performance from Bayern, but their goals (apart from build up play highlights might not have shown him) were nothing impressive at all. I think everyone was a result of a deflection or hitting a post, though in the latter case that isn't a negative.
  • Glad to see some of the kids get minutes in that situation. That said Riqui should then be getting minutes.
  • If Sergi is indeed moving on his contract then they shouldn't be whistling him so much. He's not a RB. What's more he's had his moments during his career that others never have. He's also contributed in midfield this season.
  • With regards to the discussion about Barça's attack, the real knock on Fati and Dembele are their injuries. That's fair discussion, but if they had no injury concerns you can bet they'd be up there with the best attacking players in the World. Fati was looking amazing and posting great numbers before his injury. A bit dumb if you ask me, otherwise Dembele is an incredible talent. So yes, consider their injuries as it's a fair point, but also recognize their talent. If they were healthy 95% of the time this wouldn't even be a discussion, or at least it shouldn't be.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I have always been surprised at how low are the prices for ticket to live sport in Europe compared to North America.

I have always been surprised by how crazy expensive sports tickets are in North America. 70 bucks to sit in the bleachers of an NHL game? Who's paying that? The country is full of folks living beyond their means...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Crazy week and with the crappy distribution of the CL I didn't get to the Bayern match. A few things based on what I've seen, read and read in this thread:
  • Glad Barça lost. Shows the board both the squad's level and Koeman's, but I think they knew that. With regards to the manager, sounds like it was a cowardly approach. To be fair to him there were some key injuries.
  • Highlights only show so much and it sounds like it was a dominant performance from Bayern, but their goals (apart from build up play highlights might not have shown him) were nothing impressive at all. I think everyone was a result of a deflection or hitting a post, though in the latter case that isn't a negative.
  • Glad to see some of the kids get minutes in that situation. That said Riqui should then be getting minutes.
  • If Sergi is indeed moving on his contract then they shouldn't be whistling him so much. He's not a RB. What's more he's had his moments during his career that others never have. He's also contributed in midfield this season.
  • With regards to the discussion about Barça's attack, the real knock on Fati and Dembele are their injuries. That's fair discussion, but if they had no injury concerns you can bet they'd be up there with the best attacking players in the World. Fati was looking amazing and posting great numbers before his injury. A bit dumb if you ask me, otherwise Dembele is an incredible talent. So yes, consider their injuries as it's a fair point, but also recognize their talent. If they were healthy 95% of the time this wouldn't even be a discussion, or at least it shouldn't be.

Bayern really controlled that match for almost the entirety of it. There was a brief period where your kids made things a little more back & forth for 5-10 minutes with their energy & exuberance, but Upa, Süle & Lucas prevented them crafting any actual danger...and the rest of the match was spent basically entirely in your half, with Bayern applying just constant pressure.

Plus I would disagree about their second goal. Sure, the goal itself came from Lewa knocking in a rebound off the post, but Musiala's move to create space for that shot that came off of the post to Lewa was really nifty.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have always been surprised by how crazy expensive sports tickets are in North America. 70 bucks to sit in the bleachers of an NHL game? Who's paying that? The country is full of folks living beyond their means...
Agreed that's why I don't go see the top leagues anymore. For example, I don't go watch NHL games anymore I will go to AHL or LHJMQ games instead. As for the NHL only on TV.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to one avs game a year at the United Center with a friend, costs me more than Union's annual membership dues...even before accounting for concessions or transport costs.

Going to just 1 knicks game at the Garden would cost me more than attending every Union match, paying full price each time, including transport costs to each away game.

It's absolutely insane how much it costs to attend sporting events in NA.
Wow that is wild. Are you Berlin-based or on the North American side of the pond?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Agreed that's why I don't go see the top leagues anymore. For example, I don't go watch NHL games anymore I will go to AHL or LHJMQ games instead. As for the NHL only on TV.

I haven't been to an NHL game in a few years. Before the unpleasantness beginning last year, I went to baseball games because you could find bargains. I don't know when I'll go back to any sporting events to be honest.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They only time I was in Chicago was for work at the end of February 2020. Great timing eh?

I need to go back and give it more attention. It was much better than I thought it would be, I hate most of the midwest

Chicago was the first US city we came too when we immigrated and it is a second home for me, so I'm biased towards it...especially compared to the rest of the midwest...but I also really enjoyed my time in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Definitely more of a town than a megacity like Chicago / SF / Berlin, but there was some great Somali food, I really enjoyed the play we went to see while there, and there were some really cute spots in the area.

Cleveland OTOH, I will hate until the day I die. There is 1 great vietnamese place & 1 awesome ethiopian place, other than that Cleveland can burn like its lake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad