GWT: UCL Matchweek 6 & R16 Draw

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FC Salzburg vs Bayern Munich
Straightforward match and a straight forward win by Bayern.

Sporting CP vs Man City
This should be an easy win by City, but I could totally see Sporting making the upset because of Pep.

Benfica vs Ajax
Ajax is absolutely rolling in this competition and should take care of Benfica fairly easy.

Chelsea vs Lille
If this was Lille of last season then I would have them make the upset, but Chelsea has too much blood money to lose to them.

Atletico Madrid vs Man United
Fairly easy draw for Atletico and United won't come close to winning this.

Villarreal vs Juventus
This is going to be a lot closer than you see these clubs on paper. Juve sucks, but they did win a group with Chelsea and should get through.

Inter Milan vs Liverpool
I am cheering for you Milan, get these scrubs out of Europe please!!!

PSG vs Real Madrid
Even though Messi is negative value, PSG has enough talent to surpass a very average Madrid squad.

E: I preferred the voided match ups, way more interesting than these.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Messi negative value with 5 goals in the CL... good job...

Anyway, would love ZZ to sign with Paris, knock out Real with a Ramos goal and have Mbappe resign. Perez' face would be so hilarious to see.

Reactions: luiginb

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Messi negative value with 5 goals in the CL... good job...

Anyway, would love ZZ to sign with Paris, knock out Real with a Ramos goal and have Mbappe resign. Perez' face would be so hilarious to see.
Jokes on you, Perez the Great joins PSG...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You believe in this United squad? They looked pretty damn bad even after firing Solskjaer.

To me it's more Athletico isn't as good as they've been in the past. I also don't think they have the huge managerial advantage they would have before United changed. To me this is going to be a pretty boring draw and might have the worst games of the round. Could see a couple of 0-0 draws, maybe a 0-0 and 1-1 games, seems destined for PK's to settle it.

Reactions: Rob

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Same with a Villareal/Real or Atletico game. It's stupid and only protects bigger countries and influences the coefficients.
It protects the bigger countries until Sporting v Benfica matchup happens and then it's a conspiracy to knock out one of the smaller countries.

By the way, this isn't targeted at you specifically, just what I think the discourse would end up being

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
To me it's more Athletico isn't as good as they've been in the past. I also don't think they have the huge managerial advantage they would have before United changed. To me this is going to be a pretty boring draw and might have the worst games of the round. Could see a couple of 0-0 draws, maybe a 0-0 and 1-1 games, seems destined for PK's to settle it.
Atletico are a pain the ass to play against. It certainly won't be fun for Manchester United

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It protects the bigger countries until Sporting v Benfica matchup happens and then it's a conspiracy to knock out one of the smaller countries.

By the way, this isn't targeted at you specifically, just what I think the discourse would end up being
But it's a much smaller possibility. The more teams you have the more they are likely to meet each other. Portugal has 3 teams max. England has 4 to 5. Portugal's teams are rarely seeded. EPL teams are all pot 1 and 2.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Doesn't change much for PSG really. As long as they avoided Bayern and Liverpool, they were fine with any draw.
Lille was REALLY unlucky though.

I'll stress again that the draw forbidding intra-country games is a farce.

Just another mechanism that tries to get the biggest clubs through the first knockouts. Mindboggling.

Reactions: Evilo

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
But it's a much smaller possibility. The more teams you have the more they are likely to meet each other. Portugal has 3 teams max. England has 4 to 5. Portugal's teams are rarely seeded. EPL teams are all pot 1 and 2.
I thought we were talking R16 when seeding doesn’t matter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Both. They're seeded in the first draw (group stage) and then protected again in the last 16. That's WAY too much for smaller teams to be competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad