Yegor Spiridonov
Oleg Zaitsev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Where is Okhotyuk & Sheshin? Anybody seen what the goalies are like for this group?

Okhotyuk is too old for that kind of stuff. Sheshin was with the team at the initial stage of the preparation, but didn't make it to the final stage of the camp. Same with Guskov btw.

About goalies, this age group isn't good at that, but there is Askarov, who is 2002 born and there have been quite some hype surrounding him.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Guy who stood out for me other than the obvious guys putting up the big points is Gutik. What an awesome skill set he has. His hands and movements are very fast with the puck, a classic slick skilled Russian forward.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Thoughts so far?

I haven’t seen every minute of every game, but I like what I have seen.

Even in Sweden game, Russia showed more depth and talent. It was just a matter of Sweden playing a very effective defensive style that closed space, which ultimately won them the game.

Its not just the forwards either imo, there are talented Ds in this generation.

Askarov has made some mistakes, but I believe he is the youngest player on the team.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Thoughts so far?

I haven’t seen every minute of every game, but I like what I have seen.

Even in Sweden game, Russia showed more depth and talent. It was just a matter of Sweden playing a very effective defensive style that closed space, which ultimately won them the game.

Its not just the forwards either imo, there are talented Ds in this generation.

Askarov has made some mistakes, but I believe he is the youngest player on the team.

In my opinion, Russia is the best team that I have seen in this tournament. I hope that holds up against the USA. They have been dominant in every game they have played. Their effort against the USA on Wednesday was a masterpiece. As far as I can see, they have the best talent and depth. Four lines that can pour the pressure on and just swarm the opposing goal. Also, they have been somewhat dominant on defense, which is a rarity, although things broke down in the 3rd period against Sweden.

Against Sweden, they dominated periods 1 and 2, but couldn't put anything in. Then in the 3rd, the Swedes started to exert some pressure, feeling new momentum based no doubt on Russia's frustration in not putting anything in. Either the Russian coach is really good, or he is just surrounded by excellent talent. What hurt them against Sweden, IMO, was lack of a team game. There is a lot of individual play on the part of the Russians, and there were too many guys trying to stickhandle through the team and put on a show, rather than advancing the puck and getting into scoring position. It worked for Podkolzin, but it doesn't consistently work.

Sweden did very little with the puck, but they did use their typical strategy against the Russians on defense. They used their superior size and strength to plug up the middle of the ice and force Russia to the perimeter, out of the danger zone. Russia had almost total puck control, but they didn't have a way to get the puck into dangerous scoring territory. Thus, no goals until Podkolzin's classic with 2 minutes left. They just had to kill the remaining 1:49 on the clock to go to OT, but they gave up a turnover in their own zone, and the goalie made a weak effort (he had a great game) to give up the winner.

Sweden's greatest strength, defense, is also the USA's biggest weakness. That plays into Russia's hands, so I am picking Russia to win Bronze!

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Caser, do you know the story with Andrei Bakanov?

I see that he has yet to play for any country internationally. I also see that he was part of CSKA system as a kid.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Caser, do you know the story with Andrei Bakanov?

I see that he has yet to play for any country internationally. I also see that he was part of CSKA system as a kid.

I don't think there is a special story: I mean, kids that go to NA that early are unavailable for youth NT events, as those are usually ongoing during the season. See Provorov's example - he had never played for Russia until the U18 WJC.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Bakanov is currently in Cedar Rapids (USHL). He is attending a Catholic High School and will start preseason soon. I am also told that late '02 Alexander Kondratenko is in town as well.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Roster for the games Vs. Czech Republic (11th-13th of October):

GK
Ilya Gorbunov
Vladislav Shcherbakov
Vsevolod Skotnikov

D
Yegor Bryutov
Nikolai Burenov
Roman Bychkov
Semyon Chistyakov
Alexander Kirpichnikov
Ilya Mironov
Anton Mishakov
Nikita Vashchenko
Daniil Zaitsev
Daniil Zaruba
FW
Rodion Amirov
Zakhar Bardakov
Danil Bashkirov
Alexander Gordin
Arseniy Gritsyuk
Daniil Gutik
Danila Khulapov
Aidar Nazmutdinov
Ilya Nikolayev
Ilya Ovchinnikov
Denis Pochivalov
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Dmitriy Sheshin
Yegor Spiridonov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How is a 16 year old high level hockey player 230 lbs? Bakanov is enjoying the American diet a little too much it seems...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They still keep leaving? And even younger and younger.
We should ban them from NT on every level at this point. By invites to the NT they get encouraged. I don't care if we lose some junior tournaments for the next decade. This line must be drawn.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Which players has everyone liked from the team playing at the WHC-17?

The ones that look like real prospects to me so far are Askarov, Chayka, Kuznetsov, Grushnikov, Gushchin, Khusnutdinov, Ponomaryov, Proskurnin, Rychkov, Tyutnev

Ponomaryov gets all the hype, but I've been more impressed by Khusnutdinov, although Ponomaryov might be the better pro prospect because he's a couple of inches taller. Kuznetsov looks really good. I hadn't heard anything about him, but he's a big defensemen who can skate and has skill. Askarov obviously is very good, as well. Could definitely challenge for first round the way he's going.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Speaking of this team , are there any talks to have the u18 team playing in the MHL again?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I was wrong about the Russian-based roster dor the WJAC though, some CHL guys are also invited:

GK
Yaroslav Askarov
Vsevolod Skotnikov
Ilya Stupin

D
Nikolay Burenov
Roman Bychkov
Semyon Chistyakov
Artemiy Knyazev
Ilya Mironov
Ivan Rogov
Dmitriy Tyuvilin

FW
Mikhail Abramov
Rodion Amirov
Alexander Gordin
Maxim Groshev
Matvei Guskov
Daniil Gutik
Yaroslav Likhachyov
Takhir Mingachyov
Ilya Nikolayev
Vasiliy Podkolzin
Yegor Serdyuk
Dmitriy Sheshin
Daniil Tesanov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
A bit dissapointed about the loss Vs. Team USA, Spiridonov was badly missed, as only the first line had proper chemistry, other guys were just trying some, frequently not very clever, individual effort.

Last edited:

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
For a lot of solo plays I would name Gordin. Why they haven´t tried Serdyuk-Abramov-Likhachyov? Last year on U17 they were quite dominant in games.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
5 Nations tournament (Sochi, 5th-9th of February) roster:

GK
Yaroslav Askarov
Vladimir Sartakov
Vsevolod Skotnikov
D
Nikolai Burenov