U18 Russian team

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I do not mean it bad on Sorkin. Just both Iskhakov and Spiridonov were solid on puck and trying to create offence. Suppose feeding Podkolzin can give some goals, but may be I am just wrong.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zavgorodniy don't know how to play hockey anymore, I'm extremely dissapointed.

@Atas2000 can tell you why, and I don't think he'd be wrong about it. CHL ruins too many of them.

Do any of you know if the Russian games been broadcasted on TV?

I ask because the US games have been shown on NHL Network here in the USA with the TSN broadcasting crew thats also calling the Canada games. They are using the Canadian broadcast here in the USA for our games. Canada and USA play at the same time though on Thursday, so I'm not sure the US match will be shown on TV in the USA, which is why the only way to watch these games in the USA might be from a Russian broadcaster.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
If Sorkin could grind, it wouldn't be that bad. :) btw, Zavgorodniy don't know how to play hockey anymore, I'm extremely dissapointed.

I agree, Zavgorodny was excellent last year at the international tournaments and Ivan Hlinka. He has looked terrible so far, not even generating good scoring chances with his speed and shot. A guy who IMO he was similar to was Ishkakov and now he is so far below him. Ishkakov is at least making good chances when he is not scoring. Zavgorodny just looks stagnant, minimal creativity. Maybe he is injured, otherwise that is a sad one year decline.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
BTW Ishkakov is such an exciting player, I wish they would give him the puck more. Just let him wind up and go with it

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I have to give the guys credit for fighting hard today and not giving up, but unfortunately, it seems as if their tournament will probably be over on Thursday. Too many mistakes, too disorganized, and the same chronic problems with the D.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Interesting that the D itself is not that bad, most goal against are forwards' fault.

About Iskhakov, he wasn't looking too good after that injury in the first game, but in the last goal Vs Slovakia I could finally see him at his best again.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Any idea why Iskhakov played last season in Slovakia? Why Slovakia and not Czech rep if he wanted to go aboard. Family reasons?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
@Atas2000 can tell you why, and I don't think he'd be wrong about it. CHL ruins too many of them.

Do any of you know if the Russian games been broadcasted on TV?

I ask because the US games have been shown on NHL Network here in the USA with the TSN broadcasting crew thats also calling the Canada games. They are using the Canadian broadcast here in the USA for our games. Canada and USA play at the same time though on Thursday, so I'm not sure the US match will be shown on TV in the USA, which is why the only way to watch these games in the USA might be from a Russian broadcaster.
Games are usually broadcasted on Match TV. They have an official stream on their main channel

Матч ТВ: прямой эфир, футбольные трансляции, программы о спорте

Might be geoblocked for you. About that I don't know. Or it can be moved to their secondary channels if there is anything bigger in their eyes to show. Either way it will be broadcasted of course.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I have to give the guys credit for fighting hard today and not giving up, but unfortunately, it seems as if their tournament will probably be over on Thursday. Too many mistakes, too disorganized, and the same chronic problems with the D.
I agree, they didn't look particularly good yesterday, and pretty bad vs the Finns. Let's hope though :)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sorry, but Rotenberg on the PP is what this team is about. Couldn't care less about all of it until Rotenberg's pundits are removed on all levels.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm not sure if I ever seen such a dumb loss. :( I mean, they played on par with team USA but managed to lose 1:5.

Basically all the goals we let in were total brainfarts.

Last edited:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Sorry, but Rotenberg on the PP is what this team is about. Couldn't care less about all of it until Rotenberg's pundits are removed on all levels.
wat? isn't you the main apologist of rotenbergs, invanuzhenkovs and the system of nepotism and corruption they have build everywhere? you should be more consistent. that sudden change of mind is disgusting.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The status of Russian hockey overall is Oligarch Soup. Give them credit for fighting hard, considering how overmatched they were, but victory is impossible without good players and coaches, and currently, the system is empty of both commodities. Nothing ever changes, nothing is done about glaring problems. I estimate about 70-30 ratio in favor of the US with time spent in the other team's defensive zone. Every tournament the same problem, every tournament no fix. Am I being too pessimistic, or does it look like the teams are getting farther behind?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The status of Russian hockey overall is Oligarch Soup. Give them credit for fighting hard, considering how overmatched they were, but victory is impossible without good players and coaches, and currently, the system is empty of both commodities. Nothing ever changes, nothing is done about glaring problems. I estimate about 70-30 ratio in favor of the US with time spent in the other team's defensive zone. Every tournament the same problem, every tournament no fix. Am I being too pessimistic, or does it look like the teams are getting farther behind?

1. I'm not sure if oligarchs really care about the U18. In fact, noone cares and that's the problem.

2. They weren't overmatched, USA applied some good ol' NA high-pressure hockey, but they fought back.

3. Lack of good players isn't there.

4. Lack of good coaches is there. With that being said, Zybin did a good job, although it would be good if he could solve the Denisenko Vs. Cherkas situation (although I've been annoyed by Denisenko too, so I can understand him not wanting to do anything here).

Reactions: Fantomas

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
1. I'm not sure if oligarchs really care about the U18. In fact, noone cares and that's the problem.

2. They weren't overmatched, USA applied some good ol' NA high-pressure hockey, but they fought back.

4. Lack of good coaches is there. With that being said, Zybin did a good job, although it would be good if he could solve the Denisenko Vs. Cherkas situation (although I've been annoyed by Denisenko too, so I can understand him not wanting to do anything here).
Agree with the most, but let's not use this team USA as a measuring stick. I don't care if we beat USA. I want a russian team that I want and not one that beat some particular team in one game. This one was good enough to play on par wih this team USA, but we could have had a much better team, long and short term. That's the point.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm not really upset, tbh. This will be the state of our hockey affairs for the foreseeable future until a seismic political shift occurs. I don't care what Rotenberg promises.

Reactions: kp61c

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Obviously, we saw the game differently. From my viewpoint, the USA had the Russian team under pressure for much of the game, but especially in the 3rd period, when they really poured on the pressure. It was just a matter of time before the dam broke wide open. Yes, the 5-1 result included two empty-net goals, but it could have and probably should have been a lot worse. I had to blink my eyes several times to make sure the USA wasn't a Soviet team, zipping the puck around on a string, lightning-fast coordinated passing attacks, puck control for most of the game. Looked like a role reversal to me. And they showed me something I had never seen before. Killing a penalty late in the 3rd, they took the faceoff in their own defensive zone and, 7 seconds later, the puck was in the Russian net. I am pretty sure that has never happened before.

You may be right in saying that the individual talent deficit wasn't as wide as it at times appeared. One thing I noticed is that some forwards, particularly Marchenko and Ishkakhov, were very skilled in stickhandling the puck in close to the net, but, with wide open forwards in high percentage scoring territory wide open, they wouldn't pass the puck. They would try to make an impossible individual effort, which turned out to be, of course, impossible. Maybe it is poor coaching that is causing good players to play badly.

Reactions: kp61c

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Russia was missing a full first line, including a player who would've been the best player at the tournament, if he was playing. What can really be expected?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If there was a silver lining in any of this, it is that Canada suffered the same fate, and will be heading home.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Obviously, we saw the game differently. From my viewpoint, the USA had the Russian team under pressure for much of the game, but especially in the 3rd period, when they really poured on the pressure. It was just a matter of time before the dam broke wide open. Yes, the 5-1 result included two empty-net goals, but it could have and probably should have been a lot worse. I had to blink my eyes several times to make sure the USA wasn't a Soviet team, zipping the puck around on a string, lightning-fast coordinated passing attacks, puck control for most of the game. Looked like a role reversal to me. And they showed me something I had never seen before. Killing a penalty late in the 3rd, they took the faceoff in their own defensive zone and, 7 seconds later, the puck was in the Russian net. I am pretty sure that has never happened before.

You may be right in saying that the individual talent deficit wasn't as wide as it at times appeared. One thing I noticed is that some forwards, particularly Marchenko and Ishkakhov, were very skilled in stickhandling the puck in close to the net, but, with wide open forwards in high percentage scoring territory wide open, they wouldn't pass the puck. They would try to make an impossible individual effort, which turned out to be, of course, impossible. Maybe it is poor coaching that is causing good players to play badly.

USA had us under pressure, no denying that (actually pretty usual thing when playing Vs NA teams), mostly at the start of the 1st and 3rd, but we have survived it due to a good discipline and were striking back. In the 1st period Miftakhov hurt the process a bit, but again the recovery was there. In the 3rd the pressure was really intense, but again we were disciplined and survived (and even Miftakhov had confidence) and USA guys started to become nervous, as from time to time they started having issues exiting their zone and in the end got themself a dumb penalty that should've become a breaking point. Unfortunately it became a breaking point in the other way, as Zhabreyev cut off four of our players with a bad pass immediately after the faceoff. After that Zamula got an unnecessary penalty and USA scored again soon and that was over in just a couple of minutes. I'm still in shock to be honest.

On Marchenko, I don't remember situation when he could've better pass the puck, but made a shot, but I can imagine there was something like that, as Marchenko makes bad decisions from time to time. On Iskhakov, he is always open to make a pass and you can remember his pass to Kizimov, but playing on the line with Sorkin and Kizimov there frequently is no other way than to go solo.

If mentioning Kizimov it's a shame that such a good skating and hard-working kid has such a stone hands. Although it's not that bad comparing to a stone head of Zavgorodniy.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
USA had us under pressure, no denying that (actually pretty usual thing when playing Vs NA teams), mostly at the start of the 1st and 3rd, but we have survived it due to a good discipline and were striking back. In the 1st period Miftakhov hurt the process a bit, but again the recovery was there. In the 3rd the pressure was really intense, but again we were disciplined and survived (and even Miftakhov had confidence) and USA guys started to become nervous, as from time to time they started having issues exiting their zone and in the end got themself a dumb penalty that should've become a breaking point. Unfortunately it became a breaking point in the other way, as Zhabreyev cut off four of our players with a bad pass immediately after the faceoff. After that Zamula got an unnecessary penalty and USA scored again soon and that was over in just a couple of minutes. I'm still in shock to be honest.

On Marchenko, I don't remember situation when he could've better pass the puck, but made a shot, but I can imagine there was something like that, as Marchenko makes bad decisions from time to time. On Iskhakov, he is always open to make a pass and you can remember his pass to Kizimov, but playing on the line with Sorkin and Kizimov there frequently is no other way than to go solo.

If mentioning Kizimov it's a shame that such a good skating and hard-working kid has such a stone hands. Although it's not that bad comparing to a stone head of Zavgorodniy.

I admit that I need to be more disciplined in posting in the immediate aftermath of a loss, because it tends to be frustration talking. There were a number of really talented players on the team who no doubt have a bright future (Zavgorodny, Marchenko, Galenyuk, etc.). And in fairness, I think U18 Russian teams are at a big disadvantage because they start playing organized hockey so late in comparison to NA and even Swedish/Finnish teams. This is particularly evident with the Americans who use a national team concept modeled on the Soviet program, which is why they are so successful at U18, and less successful moving up to U20 and senior levels.

Also, the kids have to be able to depend on their coaches to teach them and prepare sound game tactics and strategy. There is little progress in that area. I do not see any evidence that the guys in charge are working to come up with better ways to excel. They are not trying anything new, or even making basic adjustments to fix obvious faults. For example, the amount of time other teams spend in their defensive zone. When the puck is pinballing around the goal for much of the game, it is going to go in. It is fair to criticize the lack of strategies for puck control and relieving the pressure on goaltenders and defensemen deep in the defensive zone. And yet, seemingly no improvement in that area.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The most painfull thing is that they played really well. And in the end such a loss, I'm still shocked.

I have to disagree. Unfortunately, the US team just looked like the more solid and mature team. What particularly annoyed me was that our forwards were constantly trying to hog the puck and go through 4 defenders alone. Who teaches them this silly style of play? I mean, it's definitely not Russian hockey. Also, our skating is lackluster, the US players were faster.
There seemed to be a general lack of 'gameplan', the coaching staff did a poor job with this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakushev72

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Yes, I noticed that as well. They kept on trying to score themselves. This is an utterly wrong tactic and I don't know what the 'coaches' are thinking.

Reactions: Yakushev72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->