U.S. National Team Part VII

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It will never happen because it's not part of U.S. sports culture, when you have a league with no relegation structure this is what you get. Complacency, no pressure, stagnation. It goes beyond that though, when you have a league full of has beens and college never weres it is what it is.

Relegation has nothing to do with it, that's just laughable.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
We don't have Pro/Rel in any league in the US for any sport.

Do you think players of all of those leagues don't experience pressure or are complacent? Why is it different for soccer?

The issues are much deeper than this. And they're effecting kids at a younger age, not when they're 25 and fighting for 18th place.

Dopenose

Nov 11, 2013
I've truly never been more depressed about a sporting event in my life...

I don't understand why some here blame the MLS.. what caused this is American Soccer Moms and Dads and their 'we don't count goals, whats important is to participate'-mentality and the NFL and Handegg in general for stealing all the talent!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, the fact that competitive youth soccer require so much money is ridiculous. When the equipment is a pair of cleats, socks, shin-guards, and your uniform, there is no reason to have to spend thousands each year just to be on a competitive club.

Improve the quality of youth coaches, put soccer fields every where, and make it cheap, so you can ensure that you get as much potential talent playing at an early age as possible. Then if kids still decide to play other sports and you still don't have a wide variety, then fine, but at least put the effort in.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-team-youth-development-to-world-cup-win-2014

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rsity-problem-world-football?CMP=share_btn_tw

Kyle Martino shared these 2 articles from the Guardian a couple years ago and are pretty relevant to a lot of discussions going around the past 24 hours. The article about the lack of diversity in the U.S. was oh so relatable for me

451572526.jpg

6360084843410999711725436757_CopaAmerica1.jpg

Maybe there's a lack of diversity because only white people really give a crap about the whole soccer phenomenon? Soccer strikes me these days as the quintessential young white millennial sport in America.

And obviously soccer is popular in Latin America - though Central America has never been as good at it as South America. Soccer culture was introduced by British economic and cultural influence in the late 19th and early 20th century of which there was a lot more in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and so forth than in Guatemala, Honduras etc.

But it always struck me that the Latino immigrant soccer culture in the U.S. is either a bit overblown or exists primarily behind closed doors in the form of watching Liga MX. Even at a L.A. Galaxy game in Carson - in a metropolitan area where Hispanics are probably a majority by now and close to some Hispanic population strongholds - you're still more likely to run into white college kids than Hispanics (Dodgers game crowds are in contrast extremely latino). Their love of 'futbol' seems to be contained in a bubble entirely separate from the bubble of U.S. soccer fans who watch MLS or the Premier League. And I have my doubts that U.S. soccer somehow wants it that way as they would stand to gain a lot of money if they could tie that potential to them.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
451572526.jpg

6360084843410999711725436757_CopaAmerica1.jpg

Maybe there's a lack of diversity because only white people really give a crap about the whole soccer phenomenon? Soccer strikes me these days as the quintessential young white millennial sport in America.

And obviously soccer is popular in Latin America - though Central America has never been as good at it as South America. Soccer culture was introduced by British economic and cultural influence in the late 19th and early 20th century of which there was a lot more in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and so forth than in Guatemala, Honduras etc.

But it always struck me that the Latino immigrant soccer culture in the U.S. is either a bit overblown or exists primarily behind closed doors in the form of watching Liga MX. Even at a L.A. Galaxy game in Carson - in a metropolitan area where Hispanics are probably a majority by now and close to some Hispanic population strongholds - you're still more likely to run into white college kids than Hispanics (Dodgers game crowds are in contrast extremely latino). Their love of 'futbol' seems to be contained in a bubble entirely separate from the bubble of U.S. soccer fans who watch MLS or the Premier League. And I have my doubts that U.S. soccer somehow wants it that way as they would stand to gain a lot of money if they could tie that potential to them.
Too much of a 'frat' or 'bro' culture for me to support.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
No comments about the fact that this is essentially the same team as the one that won the 2017 Gold Cup just a few months ago?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No comments about the fact that this is essentially the same team as the one that won the 2017 Gold Cup just a few months ago?

They beat Costa Rica in the final twenty minutes (in more of a home match than NJ was sadly) and a bunch of jabronis that didn't even make the final of the Hex. If that tournament got them overconfident then shame on the entire team.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The issue is that the 25-29 generation is terrible for the United States and that period was terrible developmentally. They redid the developmental structure, but it takes time. That required a reliance on young players (Pulisic, Wood, Arriola, Yedlin) or old players (Bradley, Dempsey, the defense/goalies). That's not what you want. The upside for USA? The young players are good. Pulisic can be a star. Miazga/Brooks/CCV/EPB should provide at least two high quality CBs. Yedlin is really starting to develop. Wood is a decent striker. Horvath/Gonzalez are solid keepers. There are a ton of other young players starting to show up in Europe (Sargent, McKennie, Gooch, Perez, Hyndman, Zelalem, Wright, Weah). The future, even given this hiccup, is bright.

With regards to diversity, I don't think that's a fair comment. There's a lot of diversity in the system both at the senior level and throughout the youth ranks.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why does Sunil still have a job? In any other country on the planet if you failed as spectacularly as USSF did last night the federation head would either have been fired or resigned in disgrace 10 minutes after the final whistle. But here, nothing. Face it: nothing is going to change. The same incompetents will keep their jobs. The pay to play racket (which is a cancer to American soccer) will go nowhere. And American soccer will continue to go nowhere, and knowing this makes me sick to my stomach.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It will never happen because it's not part of U.S. sports culture, when you have a league with no relegation structure this is what you get. Complacency, no pressure, stagnation. It goes beyond that though, when you have a league full of has beens and college never weres it is what it is.
No system of promotion/relegation is why the NHL is so much worse than the KHL and why the NBA is worse than the European leagues. Seriously, the Pro-Rel cult and their spiritual leader Tinfoil Ted are the worst.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Too much of a 'frat' or 'bro' culture for me to support.

Agree and without going too into politics, a bit racist. One of my Turkish friends went to that friendly pre 2014 World Cup at Red Bull Arena and he talked about the verbal abuse he got from the AO (not typical sports banter). And that's with non-rival fans, I imagine it being worse against CONCACAF rivals

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Agree and without going too into politics, a bit racist. One of my Turkish friends went to that friendly pre 2014 World Cup at Red Bull Arena and he talked about the verbal abuse he got from the AO (not typical sports banter). And that's with non-rival fans, I imagine it being worse against CONCACAF rivals

Come on, lets not act like @**hole fans are isolated to American soccer fans or the American Outlaws. Anytime you mix alcohol and sports, it is what you get from those individuals that can't handle themselves. That's why I refuse to go to NFL games, the fans from the city I live in are obnoxious at games.

Lets also not compare racism in American soccer to the levels of racism in Euro football. Doesn't excuse racism on any level, but lets not act like it's the worst here or isolated to just here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad