U.S. National Team Part VII

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I've been reading this site for over 10 years and this post has to take the cake. Seriously? Disgusting.

451572526.jpg

6360084843410999711725436757_CopaAmerica1.jpg

Maybe there's a lack of diversity because only white people really give a crap about the whole soccer phenomenon? Soccer strikes me these days as the quintessential young white millennial sport in America.

And obviously soccer is popular in Latin America - though Central America has never been as good at it as South America. Soccer culture was introduced by British economic and cultural influence in the late 19th and early 20th century of which there was a lot more in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and so forth than in Guatemala, Honduras etc.

But it always struck me that the Latino immigrant soccer culture in the U.S. is either a bit overblown or exists primarily behind closed doors in the form of watching Liga MX. Even at a L.A. Galaxy game in Carson - in a metropolitan area where Hispanics are probably a majority by now and close to some Hispanic population strongholds - you're still more likely to run into white college kids than Hispanics (Dodgers game crowds are in contrast extremely latino). Their love of 'futbol' seems to be contained in a bubble entirely separate from the bubble of U.S. soccer fans who watch MLS or the Premier League. And I have my doubts that U.S. soccer somehow wants it that way as they would stand to gain a lot of money if they could tie that potential to them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yes, fans going to matches are going to be less diverse. But that's also on purpose because many of the stadiums they want to use for matches are housed in areas with less diversity. Heck, if the US played a Latin American side in DC, LA, NY, Chicago and other big metropolitan areas, they would be out drawn and basically have to play away matches.

So they put matches against Honduras, El Salvador, or the like in places with lower immigrant community populations.

You also have the sheer economics of who can afford to go. Sporting events across the spectrum are typically attended by middle and upper class white people because they have the disposable income. That's not completely true across the board, but that is where much of the population still is who attends sporting events. It also doesn't help that the vast majority of the 'new' fan base for the sport in the US is typically educated, young, and middle class. that means nothing for the players themselves, but that's where it is for fans. But that's also somewhat of who the US Supporter groups are trying to attract. They don't want the wine and cheeser market. They want people who are going to come, have a good time, get a bit rowdy, and support the side. It's much more fun to go to matches when people are into it.

On the MLS comments, I think it's easy to crap on what's a pretty bad league. but then again, if some of the young players for the US went abroad, they might end up like Julian Green or Jozy when he want, cast between multiple clubs with no playing time. At some point, staying home isn't the worst option if you're not getting playing time. It's easy to say Pulisic, Pulisic, Pulisic, but for every kid like him who has actually gotten some playing time, there's another 40-50 (way more actually) who have not gotten any look or sniff at playing time. It also isn't because they weren't talented or what have you. There's still a stigma against some American players.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yes, fans going to matches are going to be less diverse. But that's also on purpose because many of the stadiums they want to use for matches are housed in areas with less diversity. Heck, if the US played a Latin American side in DC, LA, NY, Chicago and other big metropolitan areas, they would be out drawn and basically have to play away matches.

FWIW, that top photo is at Soldier Field. Not sure of the opponent, though.

EDIT: Never mind, that's a World Cup watch party.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
"We wanna thank Bruce for doing the job on such short notice and let you know we're starting a very diligent search for a new manager today."

He's probably announcing that he's not seeking re-election in Feb.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The irony is Sunil's staying on for power/money under the guise that he's managing 2026 and making in roads with FIFA.

He's no better than the clowns in FIFA that were charged with corruption.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

The game suffers for the business.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He doesn't actually get paid that much being USSF president. It's a power thing for him.

He won't leave till he knows he can get the 2026 bid across the line.

They need to nominate someone else and take power from him.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Eurosnob: MLS is terrible because they brought in the best American players and hurt the national team.

Eurosnob after MLS stops bringing in the best American players: MLS is terrible because all the best American players are playing in Europe. That's why I watch real football like the European leagues and wouldn't piss on MLS if it were on fire.

Sep 19, 2008
LVG's United tenure scars me. It's terrifying.

Watching U17 world cup right now in my PJ's at home. 2-0 USA 57th minute.

Sep 19, 2008
USA looks f***ing DOMINANT against Paraguay. Sargent with a goal, Weam scored too, 4-0. Surely through now.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I had to go to class after Weah's second goal (which was awesome btw) and to much delight saw the score. They'll play either Japan or England in the quarters. Jadon Sancho got recalled by Dortmund from the England squad, but England still has a lot of depth.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I hate to say it because I'm an MLS fan but I don't think it's a coincidence that ever since the US big names started coming to MLS (Howard, Dempsey, Holden, Guzan), USMNT have gone downhill.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
If you look at the nations that produce top quality players they tend to export their talent to other leagues. MLS isn't really doing that. In fact they're doing the opposite by bringing the American players back to MLS.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I am completely fine with MLS continuing to be a feeder league for Europe and a safety net for former stars who can't cut it in Europe anymore. I mean what the heck is Altidore doing here? He should still be in Europe. Not necessarily in La Liga (whers he failed) or the Premiership but in other European leagues like Eridivisie (where he flourished).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->