Player Discussion Tyler Pitlick

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I like him, but he's basically a more talented, more injury prone version of Ryan Jones (i.e. a replaceable 4th liner).

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
That would be dumb. Even if he gets injured again, all he costs you is a spot on the 50 man roster and he won't be much more expensive than what you can bury (may be cheaper than that even). He adds speed, physicality and a good shot to the 4th line when he's in, and absolutely should be re-signed if he's willing to. I'd even give him a 2 year deal if it brings the cap hit down under 950k, as he's already proven he is a very good 4th line player who can give you all the elements I spoke of.

yes, when he's in. I'd rather use that roster spot on a guy that can stay in the lineup.
I hate the attitude that "all he costs is a spot on the roster" those spaces can be very valuable. why use one up for a guy who spends more time off the ice than on?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
yes, when he's in. I'd rather use that roster spot on a guy that can stay in the lineup.
I hate the attitude that "all he costs is a spot on the roster" those spaces can be very valuable. why use one up for a guy who spends more time off the ice than on?

Because he's a very good player that we developed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Those roster spots really mean nothing. It's been proving many times teams can find a way to gain roster spots if need be.

There are far worse guys across the league that take up roster spots even on the Oilers. Maybe you don't waste a contract on these guys that are such longshots to even do something in the AHL and you spend that contract on guys that have proven they have potential at the NHL level.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So, aaaahhhh, what's happening with Pitbull? ANy news on the injury front or when his expected return is?

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I would think he would resign here because of all the injuries he has had. Maybe he feels he "owes" something to the Oiler's?

I know if it were me I would want to reestablish myself with the team that drafted and invested so much time into me.

That's just me anyways...

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I would think he would resign here because of all the injuries he has had. Maybe he feels he "owes" something to the Oiler's?

I know if it were me I would want to reestablish myself with the team that drafted and invested so much time into me.

Agreed, the question is if the Oilers want him back. I sure do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Agreed, the question is if the Oilers want him back. I sure do.

Honestly, as frustrating as the injury is, he's relatively new to this management & coaching staff, I could see him having the benefit of the doubt after a good season (or atleast a very good start)

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Those roster spots really mean nothing. It's been proving many times teams can find a way to gain roster spots if need be.

There are far worse guys across the league that take up roster spots even on the Oilers. Maybe you don't waste a contract on these guys that are such longshots to even do something in the AHL and you spend that contract on guys that have proven they have potential at the NHL level.

good point.
I like what he's become as a player but it seems you need two roster spots for the guy. one for him and one for the guy the oilers have to bring in to replace him with his constant injuries. maybe if he signs for the league min and has games played bonuses built into his deal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
good point.
I like what he's become as a player but it seems you need two roster spots for the guy. one for him and one for the guy the oilers have to bring in to replace him with his constant injuries. maybe if he signs for the league min and has games played bonuses built into his deal.

Yes and no. I don't really know that as of today I would even see Pitlick as a guarantee to make the lineup.

He's more just be viewed as one of those guys that should help the AHL. From there I think he's a lot easier to replace with a AHL/ECHL contract.

I wouldn't be hurt if he doesn't get a contract though. I just could see why you'd potentially give him that one last shot (again).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

He will go where he sees the easiest path to a middle 6 role ala Kris Versteeg.

In Edmonton, a lot need to go wrong for him to have a spot. Eberle's long term fit with team, Puljujarvi's development, Kassian and LasVegas, Caggiula's development.

Slepy-DD-Pitlick
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian on paper is a very good bottom 6.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yes and no. I don't really know that as of today I would even see Pitlick as a guarantee to make the lineup.

He's more just be viewed as one of those guys that should help the AHL. From there I think he's a lot easier to replace with a AHL/ECHL contract.

I wouldn't be hurt if he doesn't get a contract though. I just could see why you'd potentially give him that one last shot (again).

are you mixing up Pitlick with Lander?
You give "a shot" to a struggling or a declining player and not a player who gets injured. By your logic we sure did Klefbom a favor by giving him another shot this year and wonder how many more chances Stamkos is going to get from TB.

Injuries happen... before the injury Pitlick was a Maroon like overachiever when it came to goal scoring, He was on pace for 20+ goals and 200+ hits without any PP time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
are you mixing up Pitlick with Lander?
You give "a shot" to a struggling or a declining player and not a player who gets injured. By your logic we sure did Klefbom a favor by giving him another shot this year and wonder how many more chances Stamkos is going to get from TB.

Injuries happen... before the injury Pitlick was a Maroon like overachiever when it came to goal scoring, He was on pace for 20+ goals and 200+ hits without any PP time.

I'm not mixing them up. This year was to be both of those guys last shots. For Pitlick they knew he had injury issues and gave him what was suppose to be his last shot. He's got hurt again so the team could just move on from him or maybe they try one more year as he showed quite another step that they hadn't seen in the past.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm not mixing them up. This year was to be both of those guys last shots. For Pitlick they knew he had injury issues and gave him what was suppose to be his last shot. He's got hurt again so the team could just move on from him or maybe they try one more year as he showed quite another step that they hadn't seen in the past.

That would be a very lame reason to move away from him... "you got injured again.. we are done with you". As if the guy had any control over it.
As an organization we have 28 contracts signed past this season with a long list of useless RFAs and UFAs. I am sure we can get Pitlick one of those 22 remaining contracts.

Giving him that contract would be worth it even if plays 30 more NHL games for us. A lot better than hanging on to Musils and Betkers of the world.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That would be a very lame reason to move away from him... "you got injured again.. we are done with you". As if the guy had any control over it.
As an organization we have 28 contracts signed past this season with a long list of useless RFAs and UFAs. I am sure we can get Pitlick one of those 22 remaining contracts.

It's actually understandable for a team. Because when they have these guys on the roster teams expect to be able to count on their contribution, if a guys is constantly hurt, they can't count on him. Pitlick falls into that category right now.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Giving him that contract would be worth it even if plays 30 more NHL games for us. A lot better than hanging on to Musils and Betkers of the world.

I don't know. why keep a player when every year you have to say "he was on pace for..."
you need to be able to count on a player and you can't count on Pitlick to be in the lineup.
give me a guy who maybe hits a bit less, scores a bit less but is in every game contributing.

he had another shot of proving he can be a contributor over the course of a full season and not get hurt again. he failed.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't know. why keep a player when every year you have to say "he was on pace for..."
you need to be able to count on a player and you can't count on Pitlick to be in the lineup.
give me a guy who maybe hits a bit less, scores a bit less but is in every game contributing.

he had another shot of proving he can be a contributor over the course of a full season and not get hurt again. he failed.

because he competed against his peers and earned a roster spot. He then continued on to produce and was on pace for .... before involuntarily getting injured.
While competing for a roster spot he made his peers better and bought rookies some development time.

You cant count on anyone to be in the lineup for the whole season.. Do you turn on McDavid if goes out for another long stretch? Nurse? Klefbom? Who cares as long as you are playing good when healthy. Pitlick was a loose cannon creating havoc for opponents.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It's actually understandable for a team. Because when they have these guys on the roster teams expect to be able to count on their contribution, if a guys is constantly hurt, they can't count on him. Pitlick falls into that category right now.

name me one producing\promising NHLer that a team walked away from just because he was too injury prone?
Unless we are close to 50 man roster limit there are 0 reasons to not re-sign Pitlick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad