Player Discussion Tyler Pitlick

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Had to bump when I realized that Pitlick has played SEVENTY!!!! 7-0 games this year!
Kid couldn't stay healthy to save his life when we drafted him.
What happened!?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Peter Chiarelli, Todd Mclellan, Kevin Lowe, & Craig Mactavish is what happened...

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Should never have been let go. This management is pure trash. Couldn't judge talent if it knocked them upside the head.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Honestly, there are SO many things to knock Chiarelli and co. on that I won't give them grief for letting Pitlick go. Obviously with the year he's having it looks terrible in hindsight, but he pretty much admitted he wanted a new start and the fact that he got a 3 year contract is good on him.

If the Oil had signed him to 3 years and he'd gotten injured there would have been a ton of comments about Chia committing to a known "bandaid".

Just my opinion. I'm happy Pitlick is doing well but I don't blame Chia for this. There's about 10 other things I do blame him for, though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Honestly, there are SO many things to knock Chiarelli and co. on that I won't give them grief for letting Pitlick go. Obviously with the year he's having it looks terrible in hindsight, but he pretty much admitted he wanted a new start and the fact that he got a 3 year contract is good on him.

If the Oil had signed him to 3 years and he'd gotten injured there would have been a ton of comments about Chia committing to a known "bandaid".

Just my opinion. I'm happy Pitlick is doing well but I don't blame Chia for this. There's about 10 other things I do blame him for, though.

Posters need to remember the numbers game with 50 contracts and need to grasp JuJu Khair won Pitlicks spot on the roster

Oilers let him walk due to numbers, with the oilers he could not stay healthy and his replacement was ready

Reactions: TB12

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I cant believe how many people are upset about losing a f***ing 26 year old who is finally playing his first full season, and only has 24 points. What a nuthouse it is in here.

Khaira > Pitlick every day of the week

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Pitlick was a valuable enough player, but giving him the 3 year term was a huge gamble. I wanted him signed, but it was far from an unreasonable decision. And that’s assuming he wanted to sign here since he was a UFA. I’m thrilled he’s doing well in Dallas. He just couldn’t catch a break with injuries for a long time.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I cant believe how many people are upset about losing a ****ing 26 year old who is finally playing his first full season, and only has 24 points. What a nuthouse it is in here.

Yeah, I like Pitlick well enough, and DESPISE our management team with every fiber of my being, but Khaira > Pitlick is 100% correct. My argument for keeping Pitlick would be more Pitlick > Caggiula/Pakarinen. Pitlick was and is clearly the better player against those two wingers. More scoring pop, more "grit", and roughly the same cost (slightly cheaper than Cagg and slightly more expensive than Pak).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Posters need to remember the numbers game with 50 contracts and need to grasp JuJu Khair won Pitlicks spot on the roster

Oilers let him walk due to numbers, with the oilers he could not stay healthy and his replacement was ready

Jujhair Khaira definately did NOT win Pitlicks position. Khaira did nothing last year and only after trimming down and working on his speed in the offseason did he become a real deal NHLer this year. What Pitlick showed last year pre injury is that he was a better bottom 6 option than Khaira, Caggiulla, Pakarinen, and especially old farts like Cammy and Jokinen.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I for one blame Chia for losing out on Pitlick, here's why:

- A player with Pitlicks injury history should be an easy sign for Chia. You extend him even before he hits free agency and he'll jump at the opportunity with a smile on his face.

- Even with Dallas's offer, Pitlick at 1.1M or 1.2M would still have made us a better team than the plugs they tried there this year like Pak, Cammy, Jokinen.

- Your kidding yourself if you think a player with Pitlicks injury history would "want a fresh start." If Chia offered, it should have been an easy sign, if Pitlick still said no then that's on Chia for not being able to sign an easily signable player that's still not sure if he's an NHLer or not

- Oilers management were in the BEST position out of any team to assess Pitlicks injury history, types of injuries, and likelihood of injuries recurring. They know where he got injured, how it happened etc etc. Yet the Dallas GM swoops in and makes the call that Oilers management FAILED to make. Betting on the freak nature and bad luck nature of those injuries and taking a gamble that paid off for them. And yes it is a gamble and if Chia doesn't make the right gambles he should be criticized and judged in that basis for his job performance.

- I and many other posters rightfully identified Pitlick as one of our better bottom 6 options during his small sample size of games last year. If Hfboards posters can assess that talent, Oilers management should be able to.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I cant believe how many people are upset about losing a ****ing 26 year old who is finally playing his first full season, and only has 24 points. What a nuthouse it is in here.

I thought they should of kept both Pitlick and Pouliot this year. Both would of been good for the bottom 6 and play on the PP.
I know Pitlick was injured a lot but when healthy he was a good bottom 6 player with speed and plays hard every shift that is what this team lacks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He wanted a fresh start, unless you are too ignorant to know the difference between an UFA and a RFA, you feel that you can force people to work somewhere against their will (there's a word for that) or you can force them to sign a contract there is literally nothing to see here.

FWIW I liked Pitlick and was sad to see him go, but it is what it is. There's plenty to complain about with management and coaching, this was 100% the players choice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I thought they should of kept both Pitlick and Pouliot this year. Both would of been good for the bottom 6 and play on the PP.
I know Pitlick was injured a lot but when healthy he was a good bottom 6 player with speed and plays hard every shift that is what this team lacks

Pouliot was under contract, Pitlick was not. Ditching Pouliot was our choice, Pitlick ditched us period.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Pitlick publicly stated that he wanted a fresh start. How do you blame that on the GM? He’s a dime a dozen 4th line winger, it won’t be hard to replace him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pitlick publicly stated that he wanted a fresh start. How do you blame that on the GM? He’s a dime a dozen 4th line winger, it won’t be hard to replace him.

I agree with the first part but not the 2nd part. He would've been a solid addition to our 3rd line and likely would've been better than Slepy, Caggiula, etc. this season for us.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Had to bump when I realized that Pitlick has played SEVENTY!!!! 7-0 games this year!
Kid couldn't stay healthy to save his life when we drafted him.
What happened!?

ya i thought he'd have slipped on a banana peel by now and miss the rest of the season. o_O

Reactions: thadd

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Peter Chiarelli is a turd of an NHL executive who not only can't judge top end talent, but can't even judge his bottom 6ers properly, which has led to an ineffective PK and a bottom 6 that not only can't relieve pressure from McDavid's line to generate offense but can't even provide energy properly due to having the softest player in the NHL, Ryan Strome, who makes Jordan Eberle look like Shawn Thornton. He let go of Pitlick, and fresh start or not it was up to Chiarelli to provide a reason/environment for him to stay. He couldn't do that because he's a failure of a GM and spent most of the summer trying to provide an environment to make Kris Russell of all people happy.

Ok Pitlick is a grinder, he's replaceable. But the thing is we didn't replace him and if anything, purged even more useful bottom 6ers. Chiarelli let go of Hendricks whose been a warrior in a very successful Winnipeg lineup. He bought out our best penalty killing winger in Benoit Pouliot who has more goals than Chiarelli's personal pet Milan Lucic while still being one of the most effective penalty killers in the NHL. He picked up a useless piece of garbage in Jussi Jokinen to replace these actually useful bottom 6ers, and went into the season with pretty much no competition for the last few roster spots. Also speaking of not being able to judge talent, anyone remember this gem?

And of course a month later and Slepy is useful. Just goes to show how much of a dumb piece of trash Chiarelli is.

I agree dime a dozen 4th liners can be replaced. However the Pejorative Slur of a GM we have didn't replace him. Nor Hendricks. Nor Pouliot. Nor Lander. Nor any of the depth players who came in and out of the lineup to provide energy. You can and should blame that on the GM, and he needs to be fired.

That's not a legitimate argument at all. Peter Chiarelli wasted a contract slot for not 1, but 2 years of Eric ****ing Gryba. He also wasted contract slots on players with absolutely no NHL future like Grayson Downing, Mitch Callahan, and Brian Ferlin to improve the AHL squad. And couldn't even do that properly since our AHL team is a joke as well, almost as much of a joke as Chiarelli's tenure as GM. Ty Rattie and Keegan Lowe are the only even respectable players during that day when Chiarelli had the genius idea to focus on the AHL squad over the NHL squad and sign 7 players, most of whom made the AHL squad worse rather than better.
Pouliot was under contract, Pitlick was not. Ditching Pouliot was our choice, Pitlick ditched us period.
Ditching Pouliot was a mistake. As was letting Pitlick ditch us without either making an attempt to retain him or replacing him with a useful player, and not freaking Mitch Callahan.

The problem is Jujhar Khaira. The problem is Pitlick>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jussi Jokinen every day of the week, but that's the player Chiarelli prioritized.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I for one blame Chia for losing out on Pitlick, here's why:

- A player with Pitlicks injury history should be an easy sign for Chia. You extend him even before he hits free agency and he'll jump at the opportunity with a smile on his face.

- Even with Dallas's offer, Pitlick at 1.1M or 1.2M would still have made us a better team than the plugs they tried there this year like Pak, Cammy, Jokinen.

- Your kidding yourself if you think a player with Pitlicks injury history would "want a fresh start." If Chia offered, it should have been an easy sign, if Pitlick still said no then that's on Chia for not being able to sign an easily signable player that's still not sure if he's an NHLer or not

- Oilers management were in the BEST position out of any team to assess Pitlicks injury history, types of injuries, and likelihood of injuries recurring. They know where he got injured, how it happened etc etc. Yet the Dallas GM swoops in and makes the call that Oilers management FAILED to make. Betting on the freak nature and bad luck nature of those injuries and taking a gamble that paid off for them. And yes it is a gamble and if Chia doesn't make the right gambles he should be criticized and judged in that basis for his job performance.

- I and many other posters rightfully identified Pitlick as one of our better bottom 6 options during his small sample size of games last year. If Hfboards posters can assess that talent, Oilers management should be able to.
Just cause you offer someone something, does not mean they sign it, believe it or not but it takes two parties to sign a contract.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with the first part but not the 2nd part. He would've been a solid addition to our 3rd line and likely would've been better than Slepy, Caggiula, etc. this season for us.

Better then Slepyshev and Caggiula, yes. He would still be a 4th line player on a good team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Losing Pitlick, who despite his torid injury pace has Always projected or played as a bottom 6 nhl careerer was tough. Always liked this player. Wonder what he would have been without all those injuries derailing his career.

Pitlick over Caguillia is the most obvious thing in the world to me. Not sure what Caguillia has that Chiarelli loves so much.

Having said that we don't know what happened at the negotiations. Maybe Chiarelli did make a good offer and Pitlick wanted to go somewhere else. Not being aggressive to sign Pitlick with his injury history also is understandable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->