Player Discussion Tyler Pitlick

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
because he competed against his peers and earned a roster spot. He then continued on to produce and was on pace for .... before involuntarily getting injured.
While competing for a roster spot he made his peers better and bought rookies some development time.

You cant count on anyone to be in the lineup for the whole season.. Do you turn on McDavid if goes out for another long stretch? Nurse? Klefbom? Who cares as long as you are playing good when healthy. Pitlick was a loose cannon creating havoc for opponents.

he earned it, and I feel he lost it by getting hurt yet again.
you're defending a guy with a career total of what, 14 NHL points, who averages less than half a season played. every single year.

this isn't McDavid, or even a Nurse or Klefbom level player. it's a fringe player. a 4th line player who is hurt for most of each season.
I'd feel the same if it was Hendricks, Lander or any scrub that can be replaced if he can't stay in the lineup and contribute.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It wouldn't hurt to re-sign him, but I think you have to have a contingency plan.

You need a player as good as Pitlick in the pressbox or in the AHL(and ideally waiver exempt to get down there at the beginning of the season) to take his spot after he's injured. If you can't do that, I think you're just better off signing an NHLer as good as Pitlick that's able to give you more than ~30 games in a season.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
he earned it, and I feel he lost it by getting hurt yet again.
you're defending a guy with a career total of what, 14 NHL points, who averages less than half a season played. every single year.
And what makes you think he cant earn it again? If he comes in, outplays Slepy Caggiula and Khaira, produces at a good rate and then gets hurt 30 games into the season then what did we lose?

It wouldn't hurt to re-sign him, but I think you have to have contingency plan.
Khaira?

Peter Mueller

Mueller had 20pts in 15 games for Avs (1.33PPG)
After his injuries he returned and his production dropped to 0.5PPG
He then moved to FLA where his production declined even further (0.4PPG)

Not really the same with Pitlick. For Pitlick to earn a spot next year he will have to outplay a lot of quality bottom 6 wingers on Oil. If his game declines he would be waived and sent down to the AHL or be claimed by another team on waivers. Really not a big loss. You just dont walk away from an 'improving' player despite his injuries.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
And what makes you think he cant earn it again? If he comes in, outplays Slepy Caggiula and Khaira, produces at a good rate and then gets hurt 30 games into the season then what did we lose?

Not really the same with Pitlick. For Pitlick to earn a spot next year he will have to outplay a lot of quality bottom 6 wingers on Oil. If his game declines he would be waived and sent down to the AHL or be claimed by another team on waivers. Really not a big loss. You just dont walk away from an 'improving' player despite his injuries.

you lose the ice time a good young player could have used to further develop, instead you're carrying around a player that is mostly useless for the team.

and nobody is claiming off waivers an injury prone scrub with 14 career NHL points.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It wouldn't hurt to re-sign him, but I think you have to have contingency plan.

You need a player as good as Pitlick in the pressbox or in the AHL(and ideally waiver exempt to get down there at the beginning of the season) to take his spot after he's injured. If you can't do that, I think you're just better off signing an NHLer as good as Pitlick that's able to give you more than ~30 games in a season.

I don't know that it's that hard to find someone. Even if you don't have someone out of camp, you can probably get someone off of waivers if you are that worried.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
you lose the ice time a good young player could have used to further develop, instead you're carrying around a player that is mostly useless for the team.

and nobody is claiming off waivers an injury prone scrub with 14 career NHL points.

No, that player plays in the AHL, where he should be.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's done enough this season to warrant a new contract, I can't believe there's people that want to move on from him already. Even if the injuries continue and he only plays 20 games next year, that's 20 NHL games more than some of the other scrubs we have signed.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
You sign Pitlick to a very affordable two year deal now. You extend Slepychev on a very affordable multi-year deal now. We are going to need cheap effective wingers who have the potential to play with our elite expensive centers after Drai and McDavid get paid. It's the Pittsburgh model where all manner of guys look good with Crosby and Malkin. Both Pitlick and Slepy are exactly what we need. Bigger guys who can skate, hit and have quality shots. Sign them cheap now and they will likely go Maroon for us playing with a generational player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You sign Pitlick to a very affordable two year deal now. You extend Slepychev on a very affordable multi-year deal now. We are going to need cheap effective wingers who have the potential to play with our elite expensive centers after Drai and McDavid get paid. It's the Pittsburgh model where all manner of guys look good with Crosby and Malkin. Both Pitlick and Slepy are exactly what we need. Bigger guys who can skate, hit and have quality shots. Sign them cheap now and they will likely go Maroon for us playing with a generational player.

Agreed although I am higher on Pitlick than Slepy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pitlick earned a spot imo. What he showed this year was better than anything Caggiula or Slepyshev showed. And he looked to be getting better.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
2 years 1M a year. He is worth to take a risk. Maybe he can produce 20 goals a season but at least we need to add some depth to the wings

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I really do like the player and respect what he's done to develop despite his injuries.
I just really don't understand the line of thinking that "even if he gives us 20 or 30 good games..."

I worry for the depth of the team if you're counting on a guy who is so injury prone, and plays so few games per year to be your depth.
It's not like this is a 50 or 60 point player.

maybe offer him 600,00 with a 200,00 bonus for 40 games played, 60 games played and 80 game splayed. is that allowed?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think hes worth another contract. But I think he still needs to fight for a spot with Slep, Cagg, JP, etc.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Got to remember that Slepy is 3 years younger though.

Fair point but I don't see Slepy playing as physical (hitting as hard), skating as well, and showing as good of a goalscoring touch this season. That said this was Pitlick's breakout year and Slepy is ahead of where Tyler was 3 years ago.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You have to resign Pitty. His start to the season was incredible. He plays just like Pittsburgh's effective wingers. Those players are crucial in the modern NHL.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Pitlick had a shooting percentage of nearly 15% this year before he went down with the injury.

I'm not saying we need to walk away from the kid entirely, but it's probably not a bad idea to lower expectations for him if he does come back.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Pitlick had a shooting percentage of nearly 15% this year before he went down with the injury.

I'm not saying we need to walk away from the kid entirely, but it's probably not a bad idea to lower expectations for him if he does come back.

doubt anyone expects him to be anything more than a bottom 6 winger who has speed, grit and a little bit of skill. We need guys like him around to fill out the roster after Drai and McD go past the ELCs.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pitlick needs to come back and Oilers need to sign Foo so we can ice a line of, Pit-DD-Foo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad