Tyler Myers

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I doubt that Galchenyuk could contribute enough goals for to make up for the increased goals against that results from downgrading our defense. Unless you're in the camp that thinks Myers will spend the rest of his career in a near perpetual state of injury. Regardless, after watching that video, I could just feel the loooove pouring out of the organization for Tyler and his family. I get the feeling he has been taken in by the True North family, and they will stick with him through thick and thin, cause that's what family does. I just don't see Myers getting traded now or in the future.

I tend to agree. Myers is "in" with True North, the same way Schiefele and Lowry are. Seems like he's their boy. It sucks because that personal relationship seems to get in the way of icing the best possible team. Staying with Myers over Trouba is a huge mistake

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The galchenyuk thing makes a bit of sense if they negotiated with little and he wants like 6.5 which is totally reasonable. You could run scheif, little, galchenyuk, Lowry for this year . Really go for it.

Montreal is desperate for top 6 C's. He can't win a C job there.

I don't think he has been developed well in Montreal but I don't know if some other team could make a C out of him or not. Until it happens I assume he is a LW for life. He is a pretty good LW.

LW is dead last on our list of needs and it is a long way behind our second last need.

The only thing I could see doing with Galchenyuk is flipping him for a good 3C and a pick/prospect.

Galchenyuk keeps showing up in trade speculation but why would Montreal, the team that can't score, trade one of their few offensive weapons for D? Their D is not bad.

If they were going to trade him for Myers it would mean we would have to add substantially. I mean very substantially, like at least Roslovic. Why would we do that? To get yet another LW?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Montreal is desperate for top 6 C's. He can't win a C job there.

I don't think he has been developed well in Montreal but I don't know if some other team could make a C out of him or not. Until it happens I assume he is a LW for life. He is a pretty good LW.

LW is dead last on our list of needs and it is a long way behind our second last need.

The only thing I could see doing with Galchenyuk is flipping him for a good 3C and a pick/prospect.

Galchenyuk keeps showing up in trade speculation but why would Montreal, the team that can't score, trade one of their few offensive weapons for D? Their D is not bad.

If they were going to trade him for Myers it would mean we would have to add substantially. I mean very substantially, like at least Roslovic. Why would we do that? To get yet another LW?

I think if you include petan with Myers it would be good for both teams. Petan could play 2nd line center for them and produce.

I still have hope for galchenyuk as a center. He's scored 30 goals. Perreault-galchenyuk-armia would be an insane 3rd line for a year. This is all predicated on not being able to pay little. Run scheif,galchenyuk, roslovic down the middle next year.

I don't really see it happening but it makes some sense.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I think if you include petan with Myers it would be good for both teams. Petan could play 2nd line center for them and produce.

I still have hope for galchenyuk as a center. He's scored 30 goals. Perreault-galchenyuk-armia would be an insane 3rd line for a year. This is all predicated on not being able to pay little. Run scheif,galchenyuk, roslovic down the middle next year.

Why would we ad to this? If anything Montreal would need to ad. We would be sending a proven top 2 Dman, for someone who has struggled to play consistently up to their potential, and in the top 6.

I retract my earlier statement, I think it would better off using Myers for 16mins a game at 5v5 than having a player who won't commit like Alex

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Galchenyuk is worth a lot more than Myers + Petan. A lot. Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd OA. He is the top scorer from that draft class. He has lived up to his draft position except that he has flopped as a C.

I don't know if Myers + Roslovic is enough but that would be the minimum.

He is 23 years old now. He has played 336 NHL games. He still might become a decent top 6 C but I wouldn't bet the farm on it after 5 seasons of failure.

Why would the Habs want Myers? If they are trading Galchenyuk they want scoring coming back and they want that scoring to come from a top 6 C. If it is predicated on Jets being unable to sign Little then Little might be of interest to them. But Galchenyuk does not replace Little for us. His defense is practically nonexistent. That's why he can't be a C for Montreal. If he can't play C for them why can he for us? He is a LW and we don't need LW.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Galchenyuk is worth a lot more than Myers + Petan. A lot. Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd OA. He is the top scorer from that draft class. He has lived up to his draft position except that he has flopped as a C.

He is 23 years old now. He has played 336 NHL games. He still might become a decent top 6 C but I wouldn't bet the farm on it after 5 seasons of failure.

Why would the Habs want Myers? If they are trading Galchenyuk they want scoring coming back and they want that scoring to come from a top 6 C. If it is predicated on Jets being unable to sign Little then Little might be of interest to them. But Galchenyuk does not replace Little for us. His defense is practically nonexistent. That's why he can't be a C for Montreal. If he can't play C for them why can he for us? He is a LW and we don't need LW.

Montreal has a history of running players out of town that they don't like. He couldn't be a #1 center for them but he wouldn't have to take toughs here. I'm not advocating selling the farm for him but as has been said "being a good GM is about finding the bad gms and calling them often."

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Montreal has a history of running players out of town that they don't like. He couldn't be a #1 center for them but he wouldn't have to take toughs here. I'm not advocating selling the farm for him but as has been said "being a good GM is about finding the bad gms and calling them often."

OK, but just to bring you back down to Earth - you are trying to rationalize an Eklund rumour. :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

How about Hall for Larson straight up? How was the value there?

I doubt this deal is something that happens because I'm not sure why the Jets would want Galchenyuk, but if a team really really really needs a D things can happen.

Taylor Hall was #1overall. The fact that Galchenyuk was #3 makes it easier no? Myers is a former Calder trophy winner vs Larsson who was actually sent to the AHL For parts of two seasons. If deal A is possible I don't see why deal B can't happen in theory.

My point is value is purely in the eye of the beholder.

The habs need a D. Everyone can see it. That's why Eklund is pushing it. It's a meaningless rumour.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How about Hall for Larson straight up? How was the value there?

I doubt this deal is something that happens because I'm not sure why the Jets would want Galchenyuk, but if a team really really really needs a D things can happen.

Taylor Hall was #1overall. The fact that Galchenyuk was #3 makes it easier no? Myers is a former Calder trophy winner vs Larsson who was actually sent to the AHL For parts of two seasons. If deal A is possible I don't see why deal B can't happen in theory.

My point is value is purely in the eye of the beholder.

The habs need a D. Everyone can see it. That's why Eklund is pushing it. It's a meaningless rumour.

The Habs went out and acquired 3 D. They signed Alzner, traded for Schlemko and Joe Morrow. Those added to Davidson and Benn leave only Petry and Weber carried over from the start of last season. Some of those D may have their warts but that is quite the makeover of their D corps in a short time.

I don't think their need for D is that obvious and I doubt that MB thinks what he has put together is that bad. What everyone can see is that they need top 6 C's - and scoring.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Habs went out and acquired 3 D. They signed Alzner, traded for Schlemko and Joe Morrow. Those added to Davidson and Benn leave only Petry and Weber carried over from the start of last season. Some of those D may have their warts but that is quite the makeover of their D corps in a short time.

I don't think their need for D is that obvious and I doubt that MB thinks what he has put together is that bad. What everyone can see they need is top 6 C's - and scoring.

Your opinion is different from many I've read on the Habs.

Anyway it's Eklund. No point in saying any more

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your opinion is different from many I've read on the Habs.

Anyway it's Eklund. No point in saying any more

You've probably read mord opinions than I have but all of the opinions I've seen have said the same thing. Habs need is top 6 C and scoring.

But you are right, it is Eklund so, why bother?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I tend to agree. Myers is "in" with True North, the same way Schiefele and Lowry are. Seems like he's their boy. It sucks because that personal relationship seems to get in the way of icing the best possible team. Staying with Myers over Trouba is a huge mistake

I am a Myers fan and of course I agree with this. You have to pick the younger, healthier D who is already better and still has room to improve.

Problem is, we don't control Trouba's desires. I personally think he doesn't want to be here because he is American and wants to play in a high profile US city. I have nothing to back that up factually ftr.

I don't think overpay, warm fuzzies from the org. or utilization is going to change that. He is coveted by the very organizations that can give him what he wants. I think we try to drum up a bidding war and try to turn lemons into lemonade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am a Myers fan and of course I agree with this. You have to pick the younger, healthier D who is already better and still has room to improve.

Problem is, we don't control Trouba's desires. I personally think he doesn't want to be here because he is American and wants to play in a high profile US city. I have nothing to back that up factually ftr.

I don't think overpay, warm fuzzies from the org. or utilization is going to change that. He is coveted by the very organizations that can give him what he wants. I think we try to drum up a bidding war and try to turn lemons into lemonade.

What does the bolded mean?

We have arguments for 'he is happy here and will stay for the right offer' and for 'he just wants out'. That's why I think we should make him a big offer and find out for certain, one way or the other. Of course it is possible that Chevy already knows.

If it is known that you are right and he wants to go then we have to choose between keeping him for some part of the remaining 3 years of team control and moving him sooner rather than later. There are pros and cons there as well. He might help us win a cup if we keep him for a couple of years. OTOH his trade value may be as high as it will get and the return for him may help us win a cup.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

We have arguments for 'he is happy here and will stay for the right offer' and for 'he just wants out'. That's why I think we should make him a big offer and find out for certain, one way or the other. Of course it is possible that Chevy already knows.

If it is known that you are right and he wants to go then we have to choose between keeping him for some part of the remaining 3 years of team control and moving him sooner rather than later. There are pros and cons there as well. He might help us win a cup if we keep him for a couple of years. OTOH his trade value may be as high as it will get and the return for him may help us win a cup.

I mean to say the organizations that provide what Trouba wants: US setting, major market, star level media exposure and endorsement opportunities.

Maybe he can re-launch his app :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean to say the organizations that provide what Trouba wants: US setting, major market, star level media exposure and endorsement opportunities.

Star level media exposure in an American market and endorsements.... does he think he plays a different sport. Endorsement deals won't be great for him in any American city, intact is argue he has a better chance of that in Canada.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Star level media exposure in an American market and endorsements.... does he think he plays a different sport. Endorsement deals won't be great for him in any American city, intact is argue he has a better chance of that in Canada.

With his personality, I think endorsement deals top out at Bill's Sticky Fingers in Portage.

"Mmmm, these are great ribs, eh Donnie"?
"Woof".

Laughs, cue the jingle.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Good post Mort and I am somewhat comforted by the fact that Chevy has allot more information than we do. I like how KC and the sunshine band handled round 1 vs JOHN Trouba and Overhart hopefully it goes as well in round 2.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

With his personality, I think endorsement deals top out at Bill's Sticky Fingers in Portage.

"Mmmm, these are great ribs, eh Donnie"?
"Woof".

Laughs, cue the jingle.

Once you factor in a delusional marketing executive/hockey parent all bets are off on what they BELIEVE though guys. :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Once you factor in a delusional marketing executive/hockey parent all bets are off on what they BELIEVE though guys. :laugh:

Hahaha I have no doubt given the whole app thing that Trouba senior has some interesting to say the least notions on what his sons brand is worth. But Nobody important is correct in that Trouba has the personality of a Stone when infront of cameras so any endprsement deals are going to be based on play only and there really isn't a big endorsement market for hockey players in the States. Heck two of Crosby's largest deals are from Canadian companies in CCM AND Tim's.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Just like Stuart was in with TNSE, and we were so sure that he would be around forever, right? Myers had a lot go wrong for him last season, so I'll forgive TNSE for not being completely mercenary with him this off season.

Too bad that top end is ****ing terrible as forwards go. The best players from that draft are unquestionably Trouba, Reilly, Forsberg, and Lindholm.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hahaha I have no doubt given the whole app thing that Trouba senior has some interesting to say the least notions on what his sons brand is worth. But Nobody important is correct in that Trouba has the personality of a Stone when infront of cameras so any endprsement deals are going to be based on play only and there really isn't a big endorsement market for hockey players in the States. Heck two of Crosby's largest deals are from Canadian companies in CCM AND Tim's.

I am being a bit sarcastic on the dad in the branding sense but I am concerned John is a big factor in the contract side of things and that is a wild card.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think we could safely say that he would be coveted by every organization - including all of whichever ones can give him whatever it is that he wants. There are all kinds of assumptions being made about what it is he wants. Many of them may be reasonable assumptions but none of us really knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad