Tyler Myers

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Guy has played 14 games in a year and a half, give him some time to readjust. I'm a huge Poolman fan but he's played 1 game. How many players have you seen come into the league and run on adrenaline for their first couple games only to fade away? Machacek? How about Flood when he was with us? Nogier looked pretty good last year on the team. Chiarot looked great his first bit up and everybody loved how simple and steady he was.

Not to mention the Trouba uncertainty.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Myers is coming off major surgery , played 11 games last season before injury and three games already this season, he should be in top form by now right! Wow!

Reactions: irunthepeg and GNP

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Personally I didn’t like his play before he was injured either... we need defenders, not more defenders that think they are wingers...

Personally I’d trade Myers, Enstrom and Kulikov (in that order) before we trade Buff.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd be looking to move Myers for sure, but I think his play has been decent so far this year. A few big glaring errors, but he's been ok imo

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Myers is coming off major surgery , played 11 games last season before injury and three games already this season, he should be in top form by now right! Wow!
I wanted him gone a year and a half ago...he is over-rated. Get what you can for him. Myers and Copp/Lowry for a bona fide 3C? Throw in a draft pick if required?

As far as minutes go on the right side for Poolman...
Trouba 25...Buff 22...Poolman 13....while I'm at it...
J Mo 25...Kuli 20...Enstrom 15.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Personally I didn’t like his play before he was injured either... we need defenders, not more defenders that think they are wingers...

Personally I’d trade Myers, Enstrom and Kulikov (in that order) before we trade Buff.

If your going to get rid of anyone, get rid of Enstrom- he's to small, getting older, and injury prone now. If you can get someone decent for him-"make the deal" coz I don't think he'll be resigned next year.

Myers I like, and he's skating and moving great-the guy has "huge upside"-fast skater, good shot, long reach and an offensive defenceman. He's just starting to get his game back, after a long layoff. Be a big mistake to trade him, unless they know his injuries will return.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Myers stinks and should be traded. He doesn't deserve the ice time he is getting.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
I wanted him gone a year and a half ago...he is over-rated. Get what you can for him. Myers and Copp/Lowry for a bona fide 3C? Throw in a draft pick if required?

As far as minutes go on the right side for Poolman...
Trouba 25...Buff 22...Poolman 13....while I'm at it...
J Mo 25...Kuli 20...Enstrom 15.
Most expensive defense in league. Brutal.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Most expensive defense in league. Brutal.
This d group will look different next year for sure. Just based on contracts and cap costs.

Question is how aggressive will Chevy be in fixing this group and their contract situations?

Buff- after this year, 3 more years at $7.6 mill per. He’s a team leader, on a team needing better leadership. I’d move him, but I don’t think TNSE does.

Trouba- clearly our best young dman. Should be locked up on a long term contract, but will he sign? As we move forward with a young core, he would be the guy I would feature on d. But they still want to use Buff that way to the detriment of team success, imo. A Buff/Trouba role reversal is critical to improving our fortunes, IMO. But I just don’t see that from TNSE.

Myers- is a solid third pairing dman, but Mo or Huddy plays him far too much. His usage concerns me as a fan, and has me questioning our coaching staff’s competence. Makes too much for his ideal role, and could bolt in 2 years. There should be better options, including Poolman.

Morrissey- good young dman still finding his way. Thrust into a top pairing role early and has faired really well. Should continue to get better with experience and age. Is a RFA after this year and I see a reasonable 2 year bridge deal as we try to sign Trouba.

Enstrom- is paid way to much for the value he brings. His contract is the first I’d move or not renew. Better options are available at a lesser cost. I hear Vegas needs to shed d. TNSE likely feels indebted to Toby, but the value is just not there. We don’t have to do anything this year contract wise but I don’t see Toby returning unless it’s a huge reduction from his current salary.

Kulikov- good pick up at the right price so far. Adds to our LH d depth. At 2 more years, if he continues his current play he is just fine at that contract.

So, I’m moving on from Buff, Toby and Myers within the next 2 years (or as early as next year) and replacing them with far less costly options that contribute more to our overall team defense. I might even draft a replacement this year in the first round and hopefully he’s ready in a couple of years to contribute (much like a Trouba did in year d+2)

Reactions: CaptainChef

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This d group will look different next year for sure. Just based on contracts and cap costs.

Question is how aggressive will Chevy be in fixing this group and their contract situations?

Buff- after this year, 3 more years at $7.6 mill per. He’s a team leader, on a team needing better leadership. I’d move him, but I don’t think TNSE does.

Trouba- clearly our best young dman. Should be locked up on a long term contract, but will he sign? As we move forward with a young core, he would be the guy I would feature on d. But they still want to use Buff that way to the detriment of team success, imo. A Buff/Trouba role reversal is critical to improving our fortunes, IMO. But I just don’t see that from TNSE.

Myers- is a solid third pairing dman, but Mo or Huddy plays him far too much. His usage concerns me as a fan, and has me questioning our coaching staff’s competence. Makes too much for his ideal role, and could bolt in 2 years. There should be better options, including Poolman.

Morrissey- good young dman still finding his way. Thrust into a top pairing role early and has faired really well. Should continue to get better with experience and age. Is a RFA after this year and I see a reasonable 2 year bridge deal as we try to sign Trouba.

Enstrom- is paid way to much for the value he brings. His contract is the first I’d move or not renew. Better options are available at a lesser cost. I hear Vegas needs to shed d. TNSE likely feels indebted to Toby, but the value is just not there. We don’t have to do anything this year contract wise but I don’t see Toby returning unless it’s a huge reduction from his current salary.

Kulikov- good pick up at the right price so far. Adds to our LH d depth. At 2 more years, if he continues his current play he is just fine at that contract.

So, I’m moving on from Buff, Toby and Myers within the next 2 years (or as early as next year) and replacing them with far less costly options that contribute more to our overall team defense. I might even draft a replacement this year in the first round and hopefully he’s ready in a couple of years to contribute (much like a Trouba did in year d+2)
Great post Bob. Exactly how I see our defensive problems. Buff because he makes far too much for what he is delivering lately, MUST be traded this offseason. He's still valued enough to where he'd return a dang good young D-man or D prospect or two. Do it Chevy.
Myers is untradeable, so we just hang onto him and don't overplay him. Enstrom has lost it, but can be serviceable for the rest of the year if used appropriately. Kuli, JM, Poolman I'm more than fine with for now. Niku - hope he's as good as he's looked & playing well for Moose I hear.
Trouba, once you've dumped Buff, pay him what he wants. And lets gets some more good defensive depth somehow (Vegas for sure is a spot, Carolina, Anaheim..... Come on Chevy, this can't be that hard.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Who is going to replace Buff's O? Serious question.
Offence would be by committee from the d group and with some coming from added minutes to Trouba, Myers or Kulikov.

I’m not sure you need Buff’s offence to win games. You definitely need improved defense. That’s not solely Buff’s issue, but this team won’t move forward until it defends better. That also includes defense improvement from Wheeler, Ehlers and Perreault at forward. Not only the giveaways, but the defensive fly bys in the dzone. Take a look at CBJ’s 3rd goal. What exactly is Ehlers doing in the dzone.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Offence would be by committee from the d group and with some coming from added minutes to Trouba, Myers or Kulikov.

I’m not sure you need Buff’s offence to win games. You definitely need improved defense. That’s not solely Buff’s issue, but this team won’t move forward until it defends better. That also includes defense improvement from Wheeler, Ehlers and Perreault at forward. Not only the giveaways, but the defensive fly bys in the dzone. Take a look at CBJ’s 3rd goal. What exactly is Ehlers doing in the dzone.
It'll be hard to replace that 50 points...
Ehlers, Wheeler, Perreault and Laine all play poor defensively.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Another view on Myers play is in following picture. Seriously I did think that Myers was, with Kulikov easily the best defender for the first 4 or so games. But at 5th game he was somehow so nervous on d-zone, but anyway his results just happens to be the second best after Kulikov, and so much better than other D-men.

Buff has been "+/-" 0, but Enström, Trouba and Morrissey have been making those fatal mistakes leading to high amount of goals against and haven't really contributed on the o-zone.

Sample size is way too small, but I have been pleased with Myers-Kulikov and I think you just don't understand what you did lose when Kulikov was injured.

Yeah their corsi, the most overrated and misunderstood stat ever is quite bad and they have some systematic faults they need to work on. BUT, they happen to be good in the primary function for a defender: prevent goal scoring against, just like Poolman has been so far. And that has almost nothing to do with corsi, as it's quantitative, not qualitative stat.

Chevy could trade Myers and Kulikov, but that would be a mistake, at least for Kulikov. Myers is so expensive that you could find a better replacement for the money, maybe, but don't like that idea either.

Screenshot_20171020-095855.png

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Another view on Myers play is in following picture. Seriously I did think that Myers was, with Kulikov easily the best defender for the first 4 or so games. But at 5th game he was somehow so nervous on d-zone, but anyway his results just happens to be the second best after Kulikov, and so much better than other D-men.

Buff has been "+/-" 0, but Enström, Trouba and Morrissey have been making those fatal mistakes leading to high amount of goals against and haven't really contributed on the o-zone.

Sample size is way too small, but I have been pleased with Myers-Kulikov and I think you just don't understand what you did lose when Kulikov was injured.

Yeah their corsi, the most overrated and misunderstood stat ever is quite bad and they have some systematic faults they need to work on. BUT, they happen to be good in the primary function for a defender: prevent goal scoring against, just like Poolman has been so far. And that has almost nothing to do with corsi, as it's quantitative, not qualitative stat.

Chevy could trade Myers and Kulikov, but that would be a mistake, at least for Kulikov. Myers is so expensive that you could find a better replacement for the money, maybe, but don't like that idea either.

View attachment 80559

It feels like we have been watching completely different games... Myers and Enstrom have easily been our worst defenders imo so far. Kuli has looked good and bad but is trending up.

IMO Myers looks good on the "surface" aka he has good size and is a great skater. In theory he should be really good. My problem with him is his smarts/decision making. He seems to have the talent but consistently use it poorly.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It feels like we have been watching completely different games... Myers and Enstrom have easily been our worst defenders imo so far. Kuli has looked good and bad but is trending up.

IMO Myers looks good on the "surface" aka he has good size and is a great skater. In theory he should be really good. My problem with him is his smarts/decision making. He seems to have the talent but consistently use it poorly.

For me the problem with Myers is that he is trending downwards. I think he was the best d-man in the first game and probably the worst on 5th game.

But the season is so young. Last year quite frankly I didn't like what I did see from Myers before the injury.

Enström has been quite bad, but I didn't expect him a lot as the last season was not that good either.

Morrissey and Trouba have been HUGE disappointments so far into the season, and that's really unexpected when you keep in mind that both of them were easily TOP-3 defenders last season.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
22 minutes a night +4 and no minus games... statistically wicked... eating minutes while the opponents are not scoring

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
22 minutes a night +4 and no minus games... statistically wicked... eating minutes while the opponents are not scoring
Well, I know what Garret would say about using +/- to support your argument...

While Myers has been on the ice at 5v5 this season:
Out-corsi'd 64 to 101 (38.79%)
Out-shot 36 to 51 (41.38%)
Out-chanced 31 to 51 (37.80%)
Out-dangerous-chanced 9 to 18 (33%)

I wouldn't expect that +/- to stay positive for too long...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well, I know what Garret would say about using +/- to support your argument...

While Myers has been on the ice at 5v5 this season:
Out-corsi'd 64 to 101 (38.79%)
Out-shot 36 to 51 (41.38%)
Out-chanced 31 to 51 (37.80%)
Out-dangerous-chanced 9 to 18 (33%)

I wouldn't expect that +/- to stay positive for too long...

GF, GA, +/- and similar tells you about results, but with sample sizes this small they are still pretty random. Also the ability to predict future success with +/- with this low sample size is virtually non-existent.

"Out-dangerous-changed" is pretty much the only stat you did mention that's also taken account the qualitative side of things, which just happens to be much more important than the quantitative.

If you did look the previous game against the Jets, you can probably see the reason why eg. Morrissey is now pretty bad in the actual results, and Myers is not. I did see only about 1/3 of the game, so I can't say too much about those mistakes by Myers and Morrissey that didn't lead into GA. What I did see in many cases was that Myers did position himself very well on the d-zone and didn't sell himself short like Morrissey did for example in the 2-1 goal. Actually, I'm not sure if it was 2-1 goal, but I mean that one where Morrissey was impersonating a jelly at the boards, lose the puck and couldn't make it into the front of the net where his guy had a free goal. These kind of super-duper-high-quality scoring changes are the ones that you never should give to the opponent as they will score almost 100% of these. That doesn't show with your quantitative stats, and that's why I'm afraid that the discrepancy between "out-corsid" and "out-scored" will stay for very long.

Did not check, but I think Morrissey's and Trouba's "non-advanced" stats does look even worse and Myers' (who played quite well when I did see, though his breakout passes are still garbage) "non-advanced" stats does look even better now.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Myers sucks. Look at all the stats you want, I'll watch him play. I t hurts to watch him make bad play after bad play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad