Value of: Tyler Johnson

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Do TBL fans view Killorn as a player with positive trade value? Would you consider him a dump? Or do you expect he has some degree of negative value?

From the outside, he seems like a pretty okay player, with a lot of positive qualities to bring to a team. I’ve also read quite a bit of negative sentiments from Bolts fans about him. His contract isn’t exactly appealing, with the dollars, length and clauses all feeling quite rich.

Would Tampa fans still have an issue with him if his contract were a little cheaper or shorter or more flexible?

As Sila v Kucherove said, nothing wrong with his value or term. The problem is we have a metric **** ton of similar forwards in the minors that could potentially provide the same for cheap and he has a NTC. Probably has small net positive if he were willing to waive.

Lightning fans unfairly give him the goat horns because of the cheap talent he's surrounded with, like Kucherov.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
My post was only meant to inform, no disagreement on what you said. I believe his clause is to submit a 10 team list he wouldn't accept a trade to, same as the rest of the limited NTC's Yzerman has signed players to.

Nor was I trying to start an argument, just bringing the reality of Palat/TJ likely being dealt to the forefront. It was the previous poster I quoted that seemed to believe there were other options than trading one of those guys.

If true (that it's a 10 team no trade list), then I guess there could be options, but still seems highly unlikely.

The other option is trading Miller's RFA rights, but I'm not sure that's as valuable as Johnson, and doesn't change the fact that you're locked in with Johnson/Palat come July 1st.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I’d be okay if the Flames traded Fox and Bennett and a late pick if we got Johnson and a 3rd back. We could use a pick in the top 100.

That's a great offer, and it makes sense if the rumors concerning Bishop for Bennett from a couple of years back were true.

member 88115

I would offer Toffoli + Clague or JAD (not sure what Tampa needs D or C) + 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Have to imagine St. Louis will be in on Johnson, assuming he actually is available. What are Tampa’s needs?

Assets available would be most prospects (Thomas/Kyrou probably off the table), 2018 1st, 2019 picks, etc.

Its awfully kind of you to make an offer on behalf of the Flyers. ;)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Callahan has a limited NTC July 1st and can be dealt.

TJ is the one that we have to decide if we want to marry or not.
With all the other contracts coming what wenneed to do is! I want a divorce from Tyler Johnson. Down the road we got point, sergachev, vasy and kucherov extensions to do.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’d be okay if the Flames traded Fox and Bennett and a late pick if we got Johnson and a 3rd back. We could use a pick in the top 100.
I'd be okay with this. Although Johnson would be far from my first choice as I feel we have enough small wingers. Since we could use more toughness on the wings, I wonder if they would forgo us giving them a late pick and up that 3rd to a 2nd if we offered a Brouwer for Callahan swap. Both are poor contracts, but Browuer carries a smaller cap hit and has been a bit more productive.

So basically....

to Tampa:
- Fox, Bennett, Brouwer
to Calgary
- Johnson, Callahan, 2nd

Reactions: Las Llamas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd be okay with this. Although Johnson would be far from my first choice as I feel we have enough small wingers. Since we could use more toughness on the wings, I wonder if they would forgo us giving them a late pick and up that 3rd to a 2nd if we offered a Brouwer for Callahan swap. Both are poor contracts, but Browuer carries a smaller cap hit and has been a bit more productive.

So basically....

to Tampa:
- Fox, Bennett, Brouwer
to Calgary
- Johnson, Callahan, 2nd

I think it's highly unlikely we could get Callahan to waive. It would mean a significant paycut, and he probably realizes this is his last NHL contract.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's highly unlikely we could get Callahan to waive. It would mean a significant paycut, and he probably realizes this is his last NHL contract.
How would it be a paycut? His contract wouldn't change and with RW being a major weakness on the Flames, any sign of life will likely give him more playing time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have almost no interest in Johnson and would not move those assets for him. Tampa would want a lot for him and I’d rather go in another direction. Honestly I’d prefer Miller but still would not offer Bennett.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I have almost no interest in Johnson and would not move those assets for him. Tampa would want a lot for him and I’d rather go in another direction. Honestly I’d prefer Miller but still would not offer Bennett.

I disagree. I think Tyler Johnson is just about everything the Flames need right now.

Top 6 forward - Check
Right hand shot - Check
Can play wing or C - Check
Not too old at 27 - Check
Brings speed - Check
Signed with term at a decent price - Check

The only thing missing is size, but that's not as big of a deal when he brings all those other aspects.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree. I think Tyler Johnson is just about everything the Flames need right now.

Top 6 forward - Check
Right hand shot - Check
Can play wing or C - Check
Not too old at 27 - Check
Brings speed - Check
Signed with term at a decent price - Check

The only thing missing is size, but that's not as big of a deal when he brings all those other aspects.

If we were gonna pay that, I’d rather target Domi. What hand a player shoots doesn’t interest me.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

On what basis would you turn down Bennett for Miller?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
On what basis would you turn down Bennett for Miller?

On the basis that Bennett is going to be the better player?

I don’t need to tell you this, because you already know that Miller gives inconsistent effort and takes bad penalties. Bennett takes dumb penalties as well, but he at least he always tries hard and has more offensive upside. I like Miller, but I’d want him to play with Bennett.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
On the basis that Bennett is going to be the better player?

I don’t need to tell you this, because you already know that Miller gives inconsistent effort and takes bad penalties. Bennett takes dumb penalties as well, but he at least he always tries hard and has more offensive upside. I like Miller, but I’d want him to play with Bennett.

You're entitled to your opinion but Miller was more than twice as productive and took 50% fewer penalties. I don't see us having interest in Bennett. A fair offer could probably get Calgary Miller but I'd expect at least a mid first for him being offered.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're entitled to your opinion but Miller was more than twice as productive and took 50% fewer penalties. I don't see us having interest in Bennett. A fair offer could probably get Calgary Miller but I'd expect at least a mid first for him being offered.

I think there’s little doubt Miller is the better player as of today. But in 2-3 years, I project Bennett to be the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad