Confirmed with Link: Tyler Bunz Signed To 3-year ELC

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
my opinion is that the oilers should cut the line on bunz. hasn't put up numbers and has a chip on his shoulder.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Forgot anout tuohimaa but i cant see us bringing bachman back

Still, based on past precedent you can likely expect the Oilers to bring back Bachman or a similar player. The Oilers seem to value these journeymen goalies who can play big minutes in the AHL and rotate into a duo in the NHL as needed. Past examples include Yann Denis and Martin Gerber.

The only reason they would deviate from this is if they feel someone like Brossoit may be capable of playing #1 minutes in OKC. That's a possibility in 14-15, but not a guarantee.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Still, based on past precedent you can likely expect the Oilers to bring back Bachman or a similar player. The Oilers seem to value these journeymen goalies who can play big minutes in the AHL and rotate into a duo in the NHL as needed. Past examples include Yann Denis and Martin Gerber.

The only reason they would deviate from this is if they feel someone like Brossoit may be capable of playing #1 minutes in OKC. That's a possibility in 14-15, but not a guarantee.
We have had a need for that journeyman goalie the past couple years but now we dont.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We have had a need for that journeyman goalie the past couple years but now we dont.

The Oilers don't have a single goalie outside Bachman that have shown they can handle the AHL.

If Brossoit/Tuohimaa bomb, you're throwing away a developmental year for everyone on that team.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Playing in front of a goalie you have no confidence in and on a losing team isn't going to help anyone develop.

Agreed. When the Oilers' AHL affiliate was the last place Springfield Falcons, it was a bad scene all around.

The lowest risk thing to do would be to re-sign Bachman (or similar), and if Brossoit emerges as a #1 in the AHL, we can likely do a minor league deal to find Bachman another home.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Alot of solid player nhlers have developed on bad farm teams and alot of high picks have busted on solid ahl teams...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Alot of solid player nhlers have developed on bad farm teams and alot of high picks have busted on solid ahl teams...

Just because drafting/development can come down to chance doesn't mean you should forego putting these kids in the best possible situations.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure Bunz is intending on going to Europe sooner than later.

What professional European team is going to want to waste one of their imports on a 22 year old goalie who has shown nothing in his professional career? If Bunz thinks he has a better shot over seas... best of luck to him.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
The Oilers don't have a single goalie outside Bachman that have shown they can handle the AHL.

If Brossoit/Tuohimaa bomb, you're throwing away a developmental year for everyone on that team.

True. I think that it's fairly safe to say that Brossoit is one of the Baron's goaltenders next season. Like most young goaltenders, he's got to work on his consistency a little bit, but he's been very dominant in the ECHL this season, and it's certainly time to get his feet wet at the AHL level. The decision imo comes down to who should he be partnered with in OKC? Do you show faith in him and hand over the reins completely, or do you want to shelter him initially with a veteran like Bachman?

First off, I was a tiny bit disappointed that Tuohimaa didn't get more action from a systems' standpoint. Tuohimaa showed well in the only regular season game he played for OKC, but Nelson decided to stick with Bachman in the playoffs, which is entirely understandable for a coach.

As a prospect, I've always been high on Bunz, and I've been hoping for a while now that he could get his career back on track. His game fell to pieces in the aftermath of the DUI, but it seemed like he was really on his way to putting the pieces back together and putting his off ice blunder behind him this season until he was sidelined by a throat injury.

Bachman is easily the safest choice for Brossoit's OKC partner. The Dubnyk debacle of this past season on the Oilers may weigh in on the decision making here. Beginning with Bachman makes some sense here, but at some point, if the circumstances merit, you may need to take a calculated risk with one of the other young goaltenders at some point during the season. Bachman turns 27 this summer; he's a solid AHL goaltender like Denis was. My question is does he get exploited like Denis did at the NHL level? The organization probably already knows the answer to this question. It should be the determining factor.

For me, the ideal situation would be a Brossoit and Bachman tandem to start the year in OKC, with Bunz playing in the ECHL to start the season. If Bunz dominates in the ECHL with a strong start, and if Brossoit is really challenging Bachman for the reins in OKC, then you trade Bachman mid-season to open the position up for the younger Bunz.

Tuohimaa can continue his development at home in Europe playing for HPK. The organization has to keep close tabs on him as well. I was pleased that they brought him over for a taste in OKC. Nice gesture. For all we know, he could wind up being the best goaltender in the bunch, but playing in Europe is not going to hurt him at all.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Didn't Rimmer also have a solid year in Quad city? Nice that they have so many goalie prospects.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Nice thread! A little bit perspective to Bunz. He seems to be talented but something happened to his confidence. I think that he is at this point ECHL goalie and never play agame in NHL

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What professional European team is going to want to waste one of their imports on a 22 year old goalie who has shown nothing in his professional career? If Bunz thinks he has a better shot over seas... best of luck to him.

Remember that thread about where guys went and we saw that someone played in Romania? There are a lot of teams in europe that could take a chance on him, whether or not it's one of the better leagues is TBD.

Europe is littered with North American guys that are of similar skill as him.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

If Andrew Raycroft, Justin Pogge, and Chris Mason can get jobs overseas. Then a 22 year old Tyler Bunz will get a shot somewhere. It may not be the KHL, SHL leagues. But mark my words somewhere over there will want him (Italy, DEL…)

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
If Andrew Raycroft, Justin Pogge, and Chris Mason can get jobs overseas. Then a 22 year old Tyler Bunz will get a shot somewhere. It may not be the KHL, SHL leagues. But mark my words somewhere over there will want him (Italy, DEL…)

If I had the skillset I'd try play in Switzerland long enough just to get the citizenship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad