Confirmed with Link: Tyler Bunz Signed To 3-year ELC

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Best goalie in the WHL!

With Roy playing very well this year and Bunz being dominating in spite of his WJHC snub and DUI incident, it lookis like things are looking up for goaltending prospects.

Yeah, but unfortunately they take so damn long to develop.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I reckon next year Roy will be the backup in OKC and Bunz will be the starter in the ECHL. Khabibulin will be traded for a pick next year at the trade deadline.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's annoying to watch those, but he stops a lot he shouldn't be able to. It all evens out. His numbers aren't bad

His numbers are bad though. 34th in GAA and 29th in sv%. Part of it is obviously defense giving up too many quality chances, but the fact of the matter is Dubnyk's numbers are simply not good enough to indicate he's going he's capable of being a #1.

I don't know if we know what a good goalie is anymore. This team hasn't had a goalie in the top 15 in GAA and sv% since 1999-2000 with Tommy Salo. The next closest thing was Dwayne Roloson in 05-06 but he spent 3/4 of the season playing for the Wild.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I like this signing a lot. He's a confident kid, who keeps improving. Best young, goaltending prospect in the system currently.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Dubnyk has a .912, which is considered average around the league.

Perhaps this is one of those instances where the numbers don't tell the story.

For example, let's say for discussion purposes that the mendoza line of save percentage for goaltenders is 0.900 (historically this has been accepted).

Anyways, If we were to take a look at a couple other goaltenders that are in the area of where Dubnyk ranks in save % and compare them to Dubnyk I think you would get the gist of why many people don't think Dubnyk is consistent enough to be considered a starter for a team that needs reliable, decent goaltending.

For the 3 goalies I took a look at;

They had save percentages of;

.913%, .912% and .906%

Games played;

56, 39 and 52

Games they finished with save % at 0.900 or better;

35, 14 and 30

for percentage of games above mendoza line of;

67%, 35% and 57%

Probably also bares pointing out that the other 2 guys have their teams securely in a playoff spot as well.

At any rate, what this shows me is that Dubnyk is capable of playing a high end game but is no where near consistent enough to be given the reigns as a starter. He is just good enough to help his stats. Similar to how his Jr career went as well.

senorchang

Sep 15, 2011
Perhaps this is one of those instances where the numbers don't tell the story.

For example, let's say for discussion purposes that the mendoza line of save percentage for goaltenders is 0.900 (historically this has been accepted).

Anyways, If we were to take a look at a couple other goaltenders that are in the area of where Dubnyk ranks in save % and compare them to Dubnyk I think you would get the gist of why many people don't think Dubnyk is consistent enough to be considered a starter for a team that needs reliable, decent goaltending.

For the 3 goalies I took a look at;

They had save percentages of;

.913%, .912% and .906%

Games played;

56, 39 and 52

Games they finished with save % at 0.900 or better;

35, 14 and 30

for percentage of games above mendoza line of;

67%, 35% and 57%

Probably also bares pointing out that the other 2 guys have their teams securely in a playoff spot as well.

At any rate, what this shows me is that Dubnyk is capable of playing a high end game but is no where near consistent enough to be given the reigns as a starter. He is just good enough to help his stats. Similar to how his Jr career went as well.

so 65% of dubnyks games he had a svp of less then .900? How well did he do in the 35% to bring the mean to a place above the .900 mark?

Consistency speaks to his full season stats, and they stand well above the .900 mark.

Also id like to point that no other goaltender in the league faces the quality of chances dubnyk does so often.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
so 65% of dubnyks games he had a svp of less then .900? How well did he do in the 35% to bring the mean to a place above the .900 mark?

Consistency speaks to his full season stats, and they stand well above the .900 mark.

Also id like to point that no other goaltender in the league faces the quality of chances dubnyk does so often.

You don't get it, YES for 35% of his starts the Oilers will get very good goaltending.

But they can expect well below average goaltending for 2 out of every 3 starts.

Is a team more likely to have success with consistent average goaltending or very good goaltending 1 out of every 3 games?

I think the numbers I posted suggest what the answer is considering Dubnyk kicks the hell out of the save percentage of the 3rd goalie I listed and yet the Oilers are the 2nd worse team in the league where as the other guys team is preparing for the playofs.

And arguing quality of chances is a fools quest if your trying to compare players from different teams. Any stat that rely's on different people giving their interpretations is garbage.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Re-opened.

This thread is about Tyler Bunz and, to a lesser extent, our goaltending situation. Keep it on topic.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Split time between OKC and Bakersfield, basically playing backup on both teams as Broissoit was the starter in Bakersfield. Numbers improved from his first pro season, not really significantly though. Took a puck in the throat near the end of the regular season, forced him to miss all of playoffs.

Looks like kind of a long shot as of right now. Could be looking at an AHL deal next summer if he doesn't step it up big time next season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Split time between OKC and Bakersfield, basically playing backup on both teams as Broissoit was the starter in Bakersfield. Numbers improved from his first pro season, not really significantly though. Took a puck in the throat near the end of the regular season, forced him to miss all of playoffs.

Looks like kind of a long shot as of right now. Could be looking at an AHL deal next summer if he doesn't step it up big time next season.
Grabbing Broissoit and having him play as good as he has, has really pushed Bunz down the depth chart.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
him and mact are great models for the kids ;)

anyways meh. the guy isn't anything special.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Let's not even mention that whole DUI incident. It was a mistake and I'm sure that he regrets it. People have the capacity to change and I'm sure that all he wants to do is become the best goalie that he can possibly be. It sounds corny, but give the dude a chance to prove himself

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
might have to go to europe to get playing time, it seems

He'd be playing in a really low level European league if he can't even cut it as an ECHL goaltender.

Bunz is at a crossroads in his career that many young athletes face. Does he try to eke out a career in minor pro, or does he quit hockey and go back to school while he's still in his 20s? Wouldn't surprise me to see Bunz playing in the CIS in a year or two.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I really doubt it.

Bachman, LB, and Tuohimaa are all significantly better goaltenders than him.

Bunz and Broissoit became a solid tandem and fed off of each other this season. Bunz really took off after the arrival of Broissoit. Bunz is still young for a goaltending prospect, only a year older than Broissoit, as well. I'm not sure what the organization's position on Bunz is, but I can see Bachman being moved along down the line to make room for him or Tuohimaa.

My prediction is that Tuohimaa, Bunz, and Broissoit compete in OKC for positions next season with the low man going to the ECHL or Europe. The organization is high on Broissoit, but Tuohimaa is certainly not a shoe in over Bunz imo. I could even see Broissoit and Bunz playing together in OKC next season. Bachman is the odd player out imo.

Broissoit's arrival re-ignited Bunz, who had really lost his way after the DUI, but he and Broissoit developed a competitive friendship and were pushing each other this season until Bunz became injured. I'm still pushing for Bunz, as I think he has a lot of raw talent and could still turn into an NHL goalie. Broissoit has been really good for Bunz, and I'd kind of like to see them become the guys in OKC next season, just to see where they can take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad