Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - V - warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
the irony is even Tuukka's worst season, 2015-16, is still better than multiple seasons from other top goalies...Tuukka was .914/2.56 that year.

Price has 5 years with a worse GAA, and 4 with a worse sv%
Lundqvist has 2 years with a worse GAA and 2 with a worse sv%
Luongo has 7 years with a worse GAA, and 2 with a worse sv%
Rinne has 1 year with a worse GAA, and 4 with a worse sv%
Miller has 7 years with a worse GAA and 3 with a worse sv%

The "Tuukka bad" crowd doesnt want to admit his floor is still better than every one else's floor. And dont want to admit that those 2 years he played in front of a dog crap team and got rode into the ground by a coach desperate to stay employed who had no usable backups

Check mate.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I dont have time for goalies being forwarded to greatness unless they win the cup. It is that simple. Same thing with the false King in NY. Are they tremendous talents sure.

The great ones win CUPS. 2013 he came up small in the finals lets face it. 2015 i think again vs the HABS. Listen, He is a nice goalie but does he have sand lie Thomas ? or Billy Smith ? Or Roy or Vernon ???........There have been a million goalies....When you talk about the greatest how high can a guy be when he wins jack %#[email protected] he done what jon Quick has done ?........Matt Murray has two cups and has come up the BIGGEST WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST.

I could care less about Vezina trophies....They look great on the wall. I care about the Ring on the finger. Lets see TUKKA be great when it counts the most. With all the accolades, thats the only thing we have not seen yet.

You have to try pretty hard to have opinions this bad. Props to you, JP

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Un saveable yes.....when you are sitting at the top of the outer circle of the crease instead of being in the net...His angle was poor o the Odyua shot hence being out of position for a tip OR a guy at the side of the net. It is right in front of you to see. Just that those Rose glasses wont let you see it.

You couldn't be more wrong. You can't be in perfect position for a shot and a re-direction/tip in at the same time when the original shot is coming from the blue line. The position and angles change significantly. If the defense had cleared the crease like they were supposed to, or simply lift a stick, this never happens.

I'm still waiting for your list of Bruins that "stepped up" that series more than Rask did (among like 12 other requests made of you in this thread) BTW.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Un saveable yes.....when you are sitting at the top of the outer circle of the crease instead of being in the net...His angle was poor o the Odyua shot hence being out of position for a tip OR a guy at the side of the net. It is right in front of you to see.
All I can say is I'm glad you're not evaluating our goalies. I mean you do understand the very basic concept of cutting down an angle on a longer shot don't you?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Multiple things can be true at once:

Rask can be a great goalie.

Rask can be not worth his contract.

Save percentage can be an important statistic overall, but not be an indicator of timely, clutch play.

After my 45 years of being a fan ive come to an understanding that a good goalie is someone his teammates feel trust in. Someone that lets his teammates play their gameplan. Someone that doesnt allow alot of crushing goals at the worst possible time. Someone that doesnt let adversity ruin him

All this spectacular save stuff is ok... but more often than not spectacular saves mean you were out of position.

A great save % is ok but i find most guys with high save % are on a team where everyone has high save %. I also find most guys with high % one year wont have it another year

Very very very few goalies have consistently good numbers

But some goalies win the praise of their teammates anyhow

Gerry cheevers, billy smith, grant fuhr didnt have earth shattering numbers but these guys were money. They were widely considered among the best goalies of their era because they will win.

When it comes to tukka... his numbers are alltime best... but where he is open to critism is number 1/his contract

And 2/is he someone that truely installs his team with confidence he will win?

I believe one day he will be considered a winner but for now thats something he still must prove

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I dont have time for goalies being forwarded to greatness unless they win the cup. It is that simple. Same thing with the false King in NY. Are they tremendous talents sure.

The great ones win CUPS. 2013 he came up small in the finals lets face it. 2015 i think again vs the HABS. Listen, He is a nice goalie but does he have sand lie Thomas ? or Billy Smith ? Or Roy or Vernon ???........There have been a million goalies....When you talk about the greatest how high can a guy be when he wins jack %#[email protected] he done what jon Quick has done ?........Matt Murray has two cups and has come up the BIGGEST WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST.

I could care less about Vezina trophies....They look great on the wall. I care about the Ring on the finger. Lets see TUKKA be great when it counts the most. With all the accolades, thats the only thing we have not seen yet.

This line of thinking is painful to even contemplate.

The great ones win cups. By your rules:

The great ones win Super Bowls
The great ones win world series
The great ones win nba titles.

So I guess Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Fran Tarkenton all sucked.

Ted Williams and Yaz musta sucked too.

Not to mention that the performances by Rask, Hemrik Lundqvist, CuJo are all smoke screens, these players can’t be great if they haven’t won a cup.

But Timmy Thomas was great, right? He didn’t just get hot And play on a great team AND get some breaks.

And Niemi? Superstar. Cam Ward? Same.

Many great players don’t win championships. Often takes a total team, being hit st the right one, and a lotta luck. Rask and the 2011 Bruins were on the brink of a title. Didn’t work out. But not because of Rask. They got beat by (just my opinion) a better team.

Reactions: PB37 and Chief Nine

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much

Not to mention that the performances by Rask, Hemrik Lundqvist, CuJo are all smoke screens, these players can’t be great if they haven’t won a cup.

But Timmy Thomas was great, right? He didn’t just get hot And play on a great team AND get some breaks.

Many great players don’t win championships. Often takes a total team, being hit st the right one, and a lotta luck. Rask and the 2011 Bruins were on the brink of a title. Didn’t work out. But not because of Rask. They got beat by (just my opinion) a better team.

If Ryder doesn't make a great glove save against Captain Turtleneck on April 23, 2011 our little Timmy, who was so far out of position he could've ordered popcorn, might of gone from eventual cup winner to bum.

To lay blame, in a team sport over a seven game series, on one player is .... kinda silly.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I don't think people realize just how much luck is involved with winning championships. Yes, a lot of luck ( ie: things going your way ) is gained via hard work, talent, etc etc. But a lot of times, it's a puck bouncing the right way, a tipped ball being caught, the wind pushing a ball going foul fair and hitting the pole for a homerun, a player slipping on a rut in the ice, a bad call by the ref, etc etc etc etc. We all laud the Pats for being clutch, but goddamn, they could easily be hard luck losers ala the Bills.

Thank you for exposing the fallacy of the argument of greatness being measured only by championship wins. I'm not the biggest fan of Rask, but putting the loss in '13 squarely on his shoulders reeks of agenda signalling.

Reactions: DKH

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Un saveable yes.....when you are sitting at the top of the outer circle of the crease instead of being in the net...His angle was poor o the Odyua shot hence being out of position for a tip OR a guy at the side of the net. It is right in front of you to see.

Your angle is poor in this argument.

Nothing was wrong with Rask's angle. He pushed Ference out of the way and was square to the shot. If you want someone to blame on that play, Boychuk was way too late to react to tying up his man after the deflected puck hit the post.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If Ryder doesn't make a great glove save against Captain Turtleneck on April 23, 2011 our little Timmy, who was so far out of position he could've ordered popcorn, might of gone from eventual cup winner to bum.

To lay blame, in a team sport over a seven game series, on one player is .... kinda silly.

By JP's logic that Cup makes Ryder an all-time great. Looking forward to his HoF induction

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Your angle is poor in this argument.

Nothing was wrong with Rask's angle. He pushed Ference out of the way and was square to the shot. If you want someone to blame on that play, Boychuk was way too late to react to tying up his man after the deflected puck hit the post.

Great point.

Weird how you can post a video that actually debunks your argument. The fault on those two goals in 17 seconds do not, in any way, rest solely on Rask's shoulders. If this series took place in, oh I don't know - 1593, Shakespeare could of written about the comedy of errors that turned Tuukka into a flawed and tragic figure in some people's minds.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hey guys, maybe take this approach so this dumpster fire of a thread will calm down.

The only logical response to this is:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Pia8988

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rask rated top goalie by panel tonight at Legends

Congrats Tuukka

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Got kicked out of Legends by security because time was up ending a group conversation Rask right now is the best goalie on the planet

You need to win one game this is your guy

We may be looking at Vezina #2 here

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad