Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - V - warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Rask has been a big part of the teams success. So has Dobby and glad to see Rask slay the Habs from his mindset, do that to the Caps and we are ready.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Well considering that the contract is the entire crux of my argument...

Wrong. He has played well in plenty of big games, and there are many big games they've lost where he hasn't been at fault at all.

I'm feeling a little masochistic tonight so I bit and re-watched those Bruins lowlights ( I ignored the 2014 Habs series only due to the fact I do need to retain a shred of dignity) and I actually am more sympathetic towards Rask and his plight after viewing those games.

On 2 Flyers goal he had basically no chance, 1 deflects off of Mark Stuart's busted stick and the other off of Matt Hunwick's ass. My memory might of been too hard on him.

I have not watched game 6 against Chicago in 2013 since that fateful day but, boy oh boy, what the heck was Lucic doing on the game tying goal? He's stuck flat footed watching the puck like a minor atom house league player and lets Bickell skate right by him and stand in front of the net alone. That's a tough one to stop for any goalie. Bolland's goal, let's see - point shot - deflected - hits post - bounces out and Boychuk can not get position on Bolland who pots the winner. Needed a miracle to save that.

My old eyes are failing but those were not any egregious mistakes by Rask. Thanks for posting this and renewing my faith in Tuukka. He's not a bum!

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I mean with the cap going up tuuka's contract will look better.

There is something to be said about locking in stability at the goalie position. It's really good to not have to worry about it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Well considering that the contract is the entire crux of my argument...

It is at the moment. I recall you shifted gears to this point because you came charging in here stating about a bunch of posters being homers and bobo’s. Once that got easily disproven you flipped to complaining about a contract and being overpaid.

Meanwhile it is a useless point. The contract is actually comparable to the market.

You might as well complain about his wardrobe while you are at it.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It is at the moment. I recall you shifted gears to this point because you came charging in here stating about a bunch of posters being homers and bobo’s. Once that got easily disproven you flipped to complaining about a contract and being overpaid.

Meanwhile it is a useless point. The contract is actually comparable to the market.

You might as well complain about his wardrobe while you are at it.

I always enjoy when people say he doesn't care due to body language.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Tuukka has taken crap over his career, even as he has put up historic numbers. Somehow the debate shifts to other things as he puts up a historic stretch over the past couple of months. And once he comes back to earth the termites will come out of the woodwork in force with the same old "see, I told you so" crap that always happens. And even if the Bruins do not win the Cup it will of course be Tuukka's fault to that crowd, and the same old tired line of the Bs cannot win a Cup with Tuukka in net will be repeated ad nauseam. When facts are thrown out and/or ignored so consistently then I can think of only two forces at work: agenda or trolling. It's beyond tired. There is nothing wrong with being critical of players when they are not doing well, but the consistent bellyaching no matter how a player is doing and/or the disappearing act when a player does well is pathetic and juvenile.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Bruins team and fans are lucky to have Tuuk tied up in a contract even if he was making more than he is. 7mil cap hit is a bargain

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tuukka has taken crap over his career, even as he has put up historic numbers. Somehow the debate shifts to other things as he puts up a historic stretch over the past couple of months. And once he comes back to earth the termites will come out of the woodwork in force with the same old "see, I told you so" crap that always happens. And even if the Bruins do not win the Cup it will of course be Tuukka's fault to that crowd, and the same old tired line of the Bs cannot win a Cup with Tuukka in net will be repeated ad nauseam. When facts are thrown out and/or ignored so consistently then I can think of only two forces at work: agenda or trolling. It's beyond tired. There is nothing wrong with being critical of players when they are not doing well, but the consistent bellyaching no matter how a player is doing and/or the disappearing act when a player does well is pathetic and juvenile.

To be honest, it seems this describes the pro-Raskers moreso than the anti-Raskers.

For 3 seasons Tuukka's performance was underwhelming. Whatever the reasons, most of the pro-Raskers refused to acknowledge this. Right now, pretty much everyone is acknowledging Tuukka's great play. If anything I would say the anti-Raskers were guilty of being a bit too critical, but not wrong in general.

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't Rask have one of the highest if not highest save % on short handed shots

Jack said it was over 90% which is unheard of because the shots are often quality

This debunks Pinneapple

It also debunks JP Nolan who said Rasks saves are on long shots

Debunking ain't what it used it be even without the internet

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
To be honest, it seems this describes the pro-Raskers moreso than the anti-Raskers.

For 3 seasons Tuukka's performance was underwhelming. Whatever the reasons, most of the pro-Raskers refused to acknowledge this. Right now, pretty much everyone is acknowledging Tuukka's great play. If anything I would say the anti-Raskers were guilty of being a bit too critical, but not wrong in general.

Classic case of someone seeing something here and repeating it without doing any fact-checking. The people using the "3 years" argument were counting this season when it was only a month or so old....and obviously stopped doing that between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He was a top 10 goalie in the 2014-15 season. I'll hear an argument for the 15-16 and 16-17 seasons, but that's it.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I used to think his contract was a bit too much too, but now that the cap is going up and he seems past his injury woes, I think he's paid just about right

The thing I want to feel when I know Rask is in net is that he'll make big saves when we need them, he's been doing that for awhile now this season. Don't worry, be happy

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Jury is out........Thats the bottom line. I know praise is heaped on players here that when you just throw on the sweater you automatically become better then you are or as good as some want to think.......Some players do improve and some choke or some just get sick and cant play.....

Jury is out on this guy and i dont know how it can be looked at any different. This season though.......No excuses.

Reactions: fin8

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Classic case of someone seeing something here and repeating it without doing any fact-checking. The people using the "3 years" argument were counting this season when it was only a month or so old....and obviously stopped doing that between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He was a top 10 goalie in the 2014-15 season. I'll hear an argument for the 15-16 and 16-17 seasons, but that's it.
If I am remembering correctly, we had goaltending issues both seasons and Rask was worn down towards the end, especially last year when he was also dealing with injury. Rask was fantastic for most of last year and was a huge reason we were able to make the playoffs at the end of the year.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
the irony is even Tuukka's worst season, 2015-16, is still better than multiple seasons from other top goalies...Tuukka was .914/2.56 that year.

Price has 5 years with a worse GAA, and 4 with a worse sv%
Lundqvist has 2 years with a worse GAA and 2 with a worse sv%
Luongo has 7 years with a worse GAA, and 2 with a worse sv%
Rinne has 1 year with a worse GAA, and 4 with a worse sv%
Miller has 7 years with a worse GAA and 3 with a worse sv%

The "Tuukka bad" crowd doesnt want to admit his floor is still better than every one else's floor. And dont want to admit that those 2 years he played in front of a dog crap team and got rode into the ground by a coach desperate to stay employed who had no usable backups

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Jury is out........Thats the bottom line. I know praise is heaped on players here that when you just throw on the sweater you automatically become better then you are or as good as some want to think.......Some players do improve and some choke or some just get sick and cant play.....

Jury is out on this guy and i dont know how it can be looked at any different. This season though.......No excuses.

Huh? This is his 11th season in the NHL. He's not some 1st or 2nd year guy. He's won a Vezina. He's won games in a Stanley Cup Finals. He has the best numbers of any active goaltender in the league.

The jury is only out for those individuals that believe a Cup is the only measuring stick for a goalie. This isn't golf or tennis. This is a team sport. Plenty of great....even HOF-caliber players....never win a Championship despite doing their part and then some. Be better than that.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Huh? This is his 11th season in the NHL. He's not some 1st or 2nd year guy. He's won a Vezina. He's won games in a Stanley Cup Finals. He has the best numbers of any active goaltender in the league.

The jury is only out for those individuals that believe a Cup is the only measuring stick for a goalie. This isn't golf or tennis. This is a team sport. Plenty of great....even HOF-caliber players....never win a Championship despite doing their part and then some. Be better than that.
I dont have time for goalies being forwarded to greatness unless they win the cup. It is that simple. Same thing with the false King in NY. Are they tremendous talents sure.

The great ones win CUPS. 2013 he came up small in the finals lets face it. 2015 i think again vs the HABS. Listen, He is a nice goalie but does he have sand lie Thomas ? or Billy Smith ? Or Roy or Vernon ???........There have been a million goalies....When you talk about the greatest how high can a guy be when he wins jack %#[email protected] he done what jon Quick has done ?........Matt Murray has two cups and has come up the BIGGEST WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST.

I could care less about Vezina trophies....They look great on the wall. I care about the Ring on the finger. Lets see TUKKA be great when it counts the most. With all the accolades, thats the only thing we have not seen yet.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I dont have time for goalies being forwarded to greatness unless they win the cup. It is that simple. Same thing with the false King in NY. Are they tremendous talents sure.

Simple, but extremely flawed. Again, try to understand the difference between team and individual sports. It is that simple.

The great ones win CUPS. 2013 he came up small in the finals lets face it.

Plenty of great ones haven't won cups. Just stop with this.

And he came up small in the 2013 Finals?!? I hope you're joking. He had a .932 save % in the Finals. He had a shutout in the Finals. The B's two wins? They only scored 2 goals. Two of the losses? A triple OT game and another OT game. The other 2 losses? The B's scored 1 goal and 2 goals.

If anyone came up small in the 2013 Finals, it was our scorers.

Context.

Listen, He is a nice goalie but does he have sand lie Thomas ? or Billy Smith ? Or Roy or Vernon ???........There have been a million goalies....When you talk about the greatest how high can a guy be when he wins jack %#[email protected] he done what jon Quick has done ?........Matt Murray has two cups and has come up the BIGGEST WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST.

I could care less about Vezina trophies....They look great on the wall. I care about the Ring on the finger. Lets see TUKKA be great when it counts the most. With all the accolades, thats the only thing we have not seen yet.

His playoff numbers are better than his regular season numbers. His playoff numbers are better than Thomas's when he won the Cup and better than several other goalies that have won recent Cups.

Again, TEAM SPORT.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Three things JP Nolan should not be allowed to talk about:

1.) Don Sweeney

2.) Tuukka Rask

3.) Torey Krug

You piss all over your shoes whenever you hit enter to discuss one of these 3 things. Embarrassing.
When they accomplish what these guys have done....Win a cup then they get the respect they deserve.

Up to know, they get paid like great players but they have no jewelry. And Sweeney is thriving with more Chiarelli player/picks then with his own.

1) Chiarelli

2) Thomas

3) Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad