Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

This thread has become quite rediciulous with anti-Rask narrative and blanket statements about goaltenders, such as, but not pertaining to: being out of position, being lazy, not being able to steal a game, having bad angles, being on his knees etc etc.

Here’s a blanket statement, and not offense to anyone in this thread or elsewhere on the internet, Tuukka Rask is an NHL-veteran who gets paid 7,000,000 dollars per year— he doesn’t need your advice on how to read the play or when to be on his knees.

It’s 2018, the butterfly position for goaltending is pretty much played by all of the top-tier goalies in every league. Hybrid is a popular style as well, but the stand-up goalie is incredibly rare at this point in time. You pretty much have to play butterfly and be “on your knees” quite frequently in today’s version of the game. This is something that bugs me throughout the entirety of internet when it’s posted. Not always on here, buts it’s come up on this site too.

As far as last nights game goes, Tuukka didn’t play too-well. That’s evidently clear because you got cleanly beat on two goals that he normally has.

For those who said he should be able to step in and “steal” a game, well, he pretty much managed to do that last night as well. If it weren’t for Rask last night, I don’t think you get a point from that game. He made crucial stops in the 3rd-period and stoned Crosby in overtime as well.

Rask was part of the reason why the Bruins didn’t get two points last night— but he was also part of the reason why they got one.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Rask was bad last night. ... he gave up a couple of softies before the Bruins willed their way to a 5-3 lead

the 4th goal was on a blunder by chara and bergeron in the PK. But what about that 5th goal? A goal scored from the outside of the outside..... Rask can't let that goal in

It would be nice to see Rask steal a high pressure game once in a while....

Only when they lose are they big games, only when they lose...

Reactions: Hali33

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Rask's position on those lists do more to discredit the stats than anything. So Rask has the best save percentage of all time. Would ANYONE rational argue that Rask is the best goalie of all time? Of course not.

This thread has become quite rediciulous with anti-Rask narrative and blanket statements about goaltenders, such as, but not pertaining to: being out of position, being lazy, not being able to steal a game, having bad angles, being on his knees etc etc.

Here’s a blanket statement, and not offense to anyone in this thread or elsewhere on the internet, Tuukka Rask is an NHL-veteran who gets paid 7,000,000 dollars per year— he doesn’t need your advice on how to read the play or when to be on his knees.

It’s 2018, the butterfly position for goaltending is pretty much played by all of the top-tier goalies in every league. Hybrid is a popular style as well, but the stand-up goalie is incredibly rare at this point in time. You pretty much have to play butterfly and be “on your knees” quite frequently in today’s version of the game. This is something that bugs me throughout the entirety of internet when it’s posted. Not always on here, buts it’s come up on this site too.

As far as last nights game goes, Tuukka didn’t play too-well. That’s evidently clear because you got cleanly beat on two goals that he normally has.

For those who said he should be able to step in and “steal” a game, well, he pretty much managed to do that last night as well. If it weren’t for Rask last night, I don’t think you get a point from that game. He made crucial stops in the 3rd-period and stoned Crosby in overtime as well.

Rask was part of the reason why the Bruins didn’t get two points last night— but he was also part of the reason why they got one.
The "if it weren't for Rask last night-" stuff really rings hollow when he gives up 3 goals that literally most people on this board could've stopped. You could just as easily argue that "if it weren't for Rask" they would've won that game.

He's been great for the past month but let's just be honest here, he's been severely underperforming for the past 2 and a half seasons now, including this one (other than the past month, of course, where he's been lights out).

Last edited:

BruinsNetwork

Rask's position on those lists do more to discredit the stats than anything. So Rask has the best save percentage of all time. Would ANYONE rational argue that Rask is the best goalie of all time? Of course not.

The "if it weren't for Rask last night-" stuff really rings hollow when he gives up 3 goals that literally most people on this board could've stopped. You could just as easily argue that "if it weren't for Rask" they would've won that game.

He's been great for the past month but let's just be honest here, he's been severely underperforming for the past 2 and a half seasons now, including this one (other than the past month, of course, where he's been lights out).

Let’s just be honest here, he hasnt been underperforming the last two and a half seasons by any means. There’s so many reasons here as to why, most of which are too long to get into right now.

The defense two-years ago, and even last year before McAvoy got here, wasn’t nearly as good as it was now. As far as the forwards go, there was no DeBrusk, or Heinen or Spooner playing well. The Bruins had a roster with major holes and flaws in it. Now that they are fixed, you can see what the difference is when Rask has a viable team in front of him.

It’s hard to look at the glaring holes on this roster over the past few years and then fault Rask for not being able to carry them for 65-games on the year. Not to mention had Rask not have had that stellar run to open the season last year, the team most-likely would have missed the playoffs, too.

Now back to your response to my latest post, I said EXACTLY that— he was part of the reason why the Bruins didn’t get two-points. He didnt play great, but let’s not sit here and deny that he didn’t make crucial stops in the 3rd-period to directly factor in why the team got a point. Then in OT he locked it in and gave his team a chance to win. He’s not responsible for them being hemmed into the defensive zone all overtime.

Rask made some great stops in that game, he also let in a couple weak shots the he normally has. It was an off-night for him, but in a high scoring game like that, he still helped get a point. Could have been two, but he locked it in when it counted and salvaged a point.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Literally most people on this board? Really? Now you've gone beyond the pale. Want to know how how I know this? Because I've actually played goalie. It's a lot harder than you think. But you go on deluding yourself about how much you know about how everyone should be able to stop everything and how Rask sucks and how Rask is overpaid. I'm just done listening.

Reactions: LSCII

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Literally most people on this board? Really? Now you've gone beyond the pale. Want to know how how I know this? Because I've actually played goalie. It's a lot harder than you think. But you go on deluding yourself about how much you know about how everyone should be able to stop everything and how Rask sucks and how Rask is overpaid. I'm just done listening.

In the NHL?

I've pitched but I don't think that gives me any more insight into what Clay Buchholtz's problem was.

Reactions: fin8

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Rask gives up three softies, five goals in regulation, but we are supposed to thank him?
:laugh:

I can't play goalie better than Rask (although I can GM better than anyone in the league), but that doesn't mean that I or anyone else on this board can't spot a bad goalie performance. After all, if we can't judge a bad performance because we don't play in the NHL, surely that means that you can't judge a good performance, either.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying he sucked that game. That’s his own opinion on how he played. 3 bad goals is a lot in one game and hard to overcome for a win.

But going into a coma for the majority of the past 6 weeks and have nothing to say while he plays well and without fail showing up as soon as there’s something to criticize is a joke.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think you missed the point.
Or you too are saying that literally anyone on this board could have stopped those shots?

You are correct, I missed the point.

Took the quote out of context, didn't have any idea it was alluding to "anyone could have stopped those shots."

I would hope almost everyone on these boards understands the difficulty in playing NHL level goal.

Reactions: Gee Wally

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Let’s just be honest here, he hasnt been underperforming the last two and a half seasons by any means. There’s so many reasons here as to why, most of which are too long to get into right now.

The defense two-years ago, and even last year before McAvoy got here, wasn’t nearly as good as it was now. As far as the forwards go, there was no DeBrusk, or Heinen or Spooner playing well. The Bruins had a roster with major holes and flaws in it. Now that they are fixed, you can see what the difference is when Rask has a viable team in front of him.

It’s hard to look at the glaring holes on this roster over the past few years and then fault Rask for not being able to carry them for 65-games on the year. Not to mention had Rask not have had that stellar run to open the season last year, the team most-likely would have missed the playoffs, too.

Now back to your response to my latest post, I said EXACTLY that— he was part of the reason why the Bruins didn’t get two-points. He didnt play great, but let’s not sit here and deny that he didn’t make crucial stops in the 3rd-period to directly factor in why the team got a point. Then in OT he locked it in and gave his team a chance to win. He’s not responsible for them being hemmed into the defensive zone all overtime.

Rask made some great stops in that game, he also let in a couple weak shots the he normally has. It was an off-night for him, but in a high scoring game like that, he still helped get a point. Could have been two, but he locked it in when it counted and salvaged a point.
I just can't take you seriously at all when you say he hasn't been underperforming at all the past two and a half seasons. It's very easy to just blame it on not having a good team in front of him, but if you actually watched the games, he really was not playing well. There were a lot of games that were lost, and a lot of goals given up, that were not because of the team in front of him. He was left out to dry more often than he would've been with a good team in front of him, of course. But he was bad, especially for what he gets paid, which like it or not, is a factor when evaluating a player's performance.

He definitely did make some big stops in the 3rd, but the point of "if it weren't for Rask they wouldn't have gotten a point" is really kind of a lazy one when he gives up the weak goals he gave up. Because it's not really based on anything. If someone else was in there, maybe they don't give up those 3 awful goals and they don't have to make those saves in the 3rd because it's a completely different game. Or maybe if it were someone else they give up 10 goals and it goes the other way. But "if it weren't for Rask-" means nothing when he's arguably the biggest reason you lost.

He definitely did help get a point. I wouldn't say he totally locked in "when it counted", because that tying goal in the 3rd was "when it counted" and that was the worst one of the night by far. He was good after that and I don't fault him for the OT goal, but when you do the "if it weren't for Rask they don't get a point, I just can't agree with that because it's really not based on anything.

ok

Last edited:

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying he sucked that game. That’s his own opinion on how he played. 3 bad goals is a lot in one game and hard to overcome for a win.

But going into a coma for the majority of the past 6 weeks and have nothing to say while he plays well and without fail showing up as soon as there’s something to criticize is a joke.
I specifically came into this thread a week or two ago and said that "Just so I'm not called a fraud when he eventually plays bad, I just want to say that my stance has not changed on him at all."

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I just can't take you seriously at all when you say he hasn't been underperforming at all the past two and a half seasons. It's very easy to just blame it on not having a good team in front of him, but if you actually watched the games, he really was not playing well. There were a lot of games that were lost, and a lot of goals given up, that were not because of the team in front of him. He was left out to dry more often than he would've been with a good team in front of him, of course. But he was bad, especially for what he gets paid, which like it or not, is a factor when evaluating a player's performance.

He definitely did make some big stops in the 3rd, but the point of "if it weren't for Rask they wouldn't have gotten a point" is really kind of a lazy one when he gives up the weak goals he gave up. Because it's not really based on anything. If someone else was in there, maybe they don't give up those 3 awful goals and they don't have to make those saves in the 3rd because it's a completely different game. Or maybe if it were someone else they give up 10 goals and it goes the other way. But "if it weren't for Rask-" means nothing when he's arguably the biggest reason you lost.

He definitely did help get a point. I wouldn't say he totally locked in "when it counted", because that tying goal in the 3rd was "when it counted" and that was the worst one of the night by far. He was good after that and I don't fault him for the OT goal, but when you do the "if it weren't for Rask they don't get a point, I just can't agree with that because it's really not based on anything.

ok
Worst goal to give up as far as timing of the game or the worst from a technical point of view ? I thought the first goal Rask let in was the worst , not screened or tipped just a long shot from the blue line he should of had . I can’t really fault Rask much for a bad game when he has been superb for the last month or so and he isn’t going anywhere the rest of this year anyway , so he is our goalie , like it or not .

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Reactions: BarnumEffect

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Worst goal to give up as far as timing of the game or the worst from a technical point of view ? I thought the first goal Rask let in was the worst , not screened or tipped just a long shot from the blue line he should of had . I can’t really fault Rask much for a bad game when he has been superb for the last month or so and he isn’t going anywhere the rest of this year anyway , so he is our goalie , like it or not .
Technical and timing, in my opinion. I mean we can go back and forth for which one was worse, I think the one in the third was really weak. He has been great, so yeah he did have a bad game and it happens. But those goals were egregious, so it does warrant criticism no matter what he's done over the past month. I know he's not going anywhere unfortunately, but it's a discussion forum so we have to talk about it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Technical and timing, in my opinion. I mean we can go back and forth for which one was worse, I think the one in the third was really weak. He has been great, so yeah he did have a bad game and it happens. But those goals were egregious, so it does warrant criticism no matter what he's done over the past month. I know he's not going anywhere unfortunately, but it's a discussion forum so we have to talk about it.
No we don’t

Reactions: Chief Nine

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I already stated Timmy was elite.....

For that one magical Stanley Cup run, Thomas was as elite as a goalie can get!

200.gif
RubCOoWSBgAvHOsrnLPYwpOJh4C3WH4g6By3awMENYdiYAZ3A0VaGUZTv3PLAJ49SDslq_5m=s0-d

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Rask gives up three softies, five goals in regulation, but we are supposed to thank him?
:laugh:

I can't play goalie better than Rask (although I can GM better than anyone in the league), but that doesn't mean that I or anyone else on this board can't spot a bad goalie performance. After all, if we can't judge a bad performance because we don't play in the NHL, surely that means that you can't judge a good performance, either.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are the best poster on this board. Don't ever change.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark