Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBears

Jun 13, 2014
There are plenty of guys who aren't "guaranteed studs" who make 5 million or more.

You want a legit No.1 goaltender who makes less than 5 million. Then the Bruins need to develop that goaltender themselves. Chances of finding it via a trade are remote.

Subban was drafted to be that guy, and if he had developed as expected, he might be pushing or even pushed Rask out of the starting job. But it didn't work out that way.

Not asking for an elite goalie at a discount - saying this team could win without a legit #1 if they spent the $$ elsewhere (especially over the last 5 years). An average goalie could give the bruins the same output. There are very few goalies between $4M-$5M i wouldn't prefer over rask when you take into account money.

You don't commit elite goalie $$/term to young goalies with a few years experience.

Subban was supposed to be that next guy and it didn't work out. The bruins would've also been better last year if khudobin wasn't injured and it's showing this year. The bruins have had backup after backup perform well to push tuukka (until last year) and he continues to get worse and worse.

Reactions: frickinbobby

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
For the Bs to have long term success this season, Tuukka is going to need to earn back this job and return to form.

But I do appreciate Dobby very publicly winning my argument with Lonnie for me about how a goaltender playing better would be making a big difference. Yesterday was the first time during this win streak they scored more than 2 goals.

More like Khuodo-man, amirite!

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Yet Khudobin hasn't lost a game in regulation this year behind the same defense.

People keep saying this, but it's not true. The B's have iced a different defense almost every game this season as a result of all the injuries.

Extend it to the forwards and tell me how many games Tuukka had a healthy Krejci and Bergy in front of him as well.

Same "team" but different rosters, different opponents, different just about everything.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If Tuukka did that I'd lose even more respect for him.

Backups are asked to play well after a week, two weeks, three weeks off. But we don't have to hold Tuukka to the same standard?

Look fwiw, I'm not fooled by Dobby's run here. But at the same time, I've been critical of Rask's play for 2 years. To my eyes, he hasn't played with the fire or desperation he did a couple years ago, and his save percentage shows a steady decline.

If the Rask that started this season had played against NJ, he'd have let in a couple of those breakaways and everyone would be saying, "Well, you can't really blame him for those ones." Bull****! Rask is one of the most talented goalies in the world and he's paid to be an impact player. We have every right to expect him to not only stop the ones he should but also make 2 or 3 saves a game that are larcenous. Those saves are the difference between a .915 and a .930. That's what great goalies do, that's what Rask was and that's what he should be.

My whole hope with this Dobby thing is that it goes on long enough to put a little fear in Rask. Maybe light a fire in him and get him hungry again. I want to see a determined Rask when he comes back. Throw a milk crate, get engaged! I want to see him play like "this is my goddamn net and I'm not giving it up!"

All you are missing is the "Amen" at the end of it.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I kind of get the feeling,some on here would like to see Rask fail and others would like to see Khubodin fail just to say I told you so.I just want the Bruins to win no matter who is in net,but right now I think they have a better chance going with Khubodin.I hope I’m misunderstanding people,but it sure seems that way.

I don't think anyone truly wants that. At least anyone that's actually a fan of the team.

I'm very critical of Rask, but I'd be more than happy if he came back in, won the Vezina and lead them to a cup. Even if that's the exact opposite of what this seasons been telling me about him.

We all just have high expectations. And when they aren't met, we all show our disappointment in different ways.

As for what's happening now, ride the hot hand. And hopefully the hand is still hot when the time to turn it over is.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Would rather see Khudobin given that the team keeps getting valuable points with him. Understandable that the coach is playing the long game here. Rask has had a long layoff and probably needs some work. Glad to see Rask be a complete professional and team-first guy during Khudobin's successful run. Hopefully Rask plays lights-out tomorrow. Having two hot goalies is a great position to be in, especially given how compressed the schedule gets later in the season. Both goalies will be needed at that point.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Thanks to this 4 game winning streak, the Bruins (to me) now look like they give a **** again, and are playing some exciting hockey and competing for a playoff spot.

However, before Dobby suited up and played his ass off these last four games, the B's seemed disorganized, frustrated and down right boring to watch most games, while displaying lethargic offense, sloppy defense and pathetic goaltending.

I was truly worried that this was going to be a looong season the way they were playing....(and it still could be).

...so, thanks Dobby for helping to turn this season around for the B's at this point, and for helping to make these last 4 games exciting again, and giving me renewed hope.

I now have some confidence and am thinking positive once again that this team can make strides towards competing for a playoff spot and maybe even make a little noise in the playoff rounds.

But we're gonna need your help too Tuukka, and all the best to you in your upcoming starts.

Go B's!!!

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I was watching the Carey Price resurrection last night (I would say he earned his 8 year $84.5 contract last night but it doesn't actually kick in until next season)

Price gets a questionable shutout against the 2nd worst team in the league and, with that one game, he earned a ridiculous contract, yet Tuukka pitches 8 shutouts last season.....with half of them coming in either 1-0 or 2-0 games against some top-level teams.....and all I keep hearing about on this board is how he hasn't stolen a game in years.

Never change hfboards.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Tukkaa was far, far from bad tonight. I'm not a Tukkaa guy, but he needs just a little support from time to time.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Rask has turned into an average goalie & has been playing as one the past few years. They would be wise to trade him to a team who doesn't realize this yet or thinks he still has potential, for a goalie prospect. Sadly, Dobby has far, far outplayed him this year. Not what you expect from a highly paid #1

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm not gonna sugar coat it , Tuukka spends more time on his knees than a 5$........................Dobby, your back next game . Can we stop with the " Tuukka wasn't why we lost BS" let me put it this way, perhaps the wording will suit the appeasers better ''He wasn't why we lost, he was why we didn't win :D

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I'm not gonna sugar coat it , Tuukka spends more time on his knees than a 5$........................Dobby, your back next game . Can we stop with the " Tuukka wasn't why we lost BS" let me put it this way, perhaps the wording will suit the appeasers better ''He wasn't why we lost, he was why we didn't win :D

547 scoring chances to 6.......but "Tuukka was why we didn't win"? Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
I agree. I don't see RASK as a money goaltender. Some guys play better with increased pressure, I find RASK typically struggles as pressure mounts. Some guys make timely saves, RASK makes some great saves but they are typically not at key times, hence the Bruins opponent, more frequently then I would like, scores when they need to against RASK. I'm not condoning a proactive trade but if a team approached the Bruins with the right deal; say RASK, BELESKEY and Boston's second in 18 for DUBNYK, COYLE and BRODIN, may be worth considering.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I agree. I don't see RASK as a money goaltender. Some guys play better with increased pressure, I find RASK typically struggles as pressure mounts.

Rask's career playoff numbers:

53 games
.928 save %
2.12 GAA
5 shutouts

You were saying?

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Rask's career playoff numbers:

53 games
.928 save %
2.12 GAA
5 shutouts

You were saying?

2010- Ultimate choke.
2013- Game 6 last minute choke.
Olympic "flu"
Bruins late playoff push "flu"
3 seasons of below average play.

I'll give Rask credit though, he's a really good goaltender when he's got a prime Norris winner, the greatest defensive forward ever, and a Stanley Cup caliber team in front of him. When the going gets tough he doesn't have it.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
2010- Ultimate choke.
2013- Game 6 last minute choke.
Olympic "flu"
Bruins late playoff push "flu"
3 seasons of below average play.

I'll give Rask credit though, he's a really good goaltender when he's got a prime Norris winner, the greatest defensive forward ever, and a Stanley Cup caliber team in front of him. When the going gets tough he doesn't have it.

:lol:Spot on, very well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad