Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
2010- Ultimate choke.
2013- Game 6 last minute choke.
Olympic "flu"
Bruins late playoff push "flu"
3 seasons of below average play.

I'll give Rask credit though, he's a really good goaltender when he's got a prime Norris winner, the greatest defensive forward ever, and a Stanley Cup caliber team in front of him. When the going gets tough he doesn't have it.

Keep moving the goalposts. According to you guys, Rask has only faced 5 "big games" in his career. Any that he played really well in simply don't count as big games, even if they were playoff games and/or elimination games.

I'll choose to live in reality. The guy has Vezina playoff numbers. And his 2013 playoff stats are better than Thomas's in 2011, despite having an older and worse D in front of him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Keep moving the goalposts. According to you guys, Rask has only faced 5 "big games" in his career. Any that he played really well in simply don't count as big games, even if they were playoff games and/or elimination games.

I'll choose to live in reality. The guy has Vezina playoff numbers. And his 2013 playoff stats are better than Thomas's in 2011, despite having an older and worse D in front of him.

One thing that gets overlooked IMO is the 11-12 season where Rask was clearly better than Thomas, and TT had a pretty bad play-offs vs Washington. Game 5 vs the Caps was one of the worst goaltending performances in recent memory for a Bruins goalie.

Also, the flack he takes for 2013 is pretty harsh. Seids, Chara and Manchuk were bad to terrible most of that series, plus his forwards for the most part were awful. Rask's middle series vs the Rags and Pens were the best two back to back series we have ever seen from a Bruins goalie.

Marchand, Horton, Krejci, Jagr, and Seguin combined for ZERO goals that series. In 30 combined games.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I thought Rask played well yesterday. It was his teammates that stunk up the joint.

I don't know what the hell is going on with them but his teammates simply aren't playing well in front of him this season.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
2017-18 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Fwiw, Rask is ranked 51st in GSAA.

In 2013-14 Rask was 2nd, then in 14-15 he was 8th, then 24th, 38th and now 51st.

Too early to use this year's numbers, given that Rask is around 30th in games played. Item #1 from the link under "What GSAA Does Not Do Well": Goalies that play more games will accumulate more goals saved and skew the numbers.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Too early to use this year's numbers, given that Rask is around 30th in games played. Item #1 from the link under "What GSAA Does Not Do Well": Goalies that play more games will accumulate more goals saved and skew the numbers.

What do you make of the previous two seasons? I'm curious what people think of this stat since I've never discussed it with anyone.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What do you make of the previous two seasons? I'm curious what people think of this stat since I've never discussed it with anyone.

Just another stat with its flaws. It has its place, but is no more accurate for measuring anything IMO than GAA, save %, etc.

When they can come up with a stat that takes into account shot quality and penalty kill time, and either do it on a "per 60" basis or somehow account for big minutes/lots of OT games, then I'll place more weight on it than the other stats out there.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I agree the sample is small, but I don't necessarily agree that should equal bad. Khudobin has a small sample too, and is 12th.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

It says something, who knows what. I know that as this stat has dropped, the team has gotten crappier and crappier in front of him.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
It says something, who knows what. I know that as this stat has dropped, the team has gotten crappier and crappier in front of him.

Not strictly directed at this quote, just using as a segue.

Was Tuukka's success prior attributed to the good team in front of him? Or was Tuukka also better then? Are Tuukka's stats worse because of the crappier team in front of him. Or is he playing worse than he was then? It's probably a little bit of all of those things for various reasons, if we can actually reasonably discuss it, wherever we are looking at it from.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not strictly directed at this quote, just using as a segue.

Was Tuukka's success prior attributed to the good team in front of him? Or was Tuukka also better then? Are Tuukka's stats worse because of the crappier team in front of him. Or is he playing worse than he was then? It's probably a little bit of all of those things for various reasons, if we can actually reasonably discuss it, wherever we are looking at it from.

I think all goalies benefit from a better team in front of them, not least because they are going to face lower-quality shots and probably fewer of them. Tuuka might not be playing as well, but it is hard to tell when the team in front of him can't score enough or generate momentum, when they get continually pinned in their own by heavy forechecking, and when they constantly turn the puck over inside their own blueline or fail to clear it out at all. For my part, I've seen very few horrible goals this year where a neutral observer would say "he should have had that one." That said, there have been saves I wish he could have made, and a whole lot of saves that he should't have had to make because of bad turnovers, blown coverage etc.

I can admit I am Tuuka fan, and think he's a great goalie, but I can also see that he is not having a lot of success so far this year, and at least some of it is down to him, whether it is related to the concussion or another nagging injury, or demoralization watching that defensive clown show in front of him on many nights, or perhaps that he really is in decline I have no idea.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I am not a big TR fan but most of his losses this year are due to team wide turnovers and his own D deflecting pucks into their own net! I wouldn't be concerned if it were the rookies doing the deflecting and turnovers but it is usually the so called vets. I don't know the answer but if the B's could clear the zone and throw a solid hit in their own end once in a while, that would be a start. The vets should watch Acciarri lay the body and maybe get embarrassed into showing a little pride!

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I am not a big TR fan but most of his losses this year are due to team wide turnovers and his own D deflecting pucks into their own net! I wouldn't be concerned if it were the rookies doing the deflecting and turnovers but it is usually the so called vets. I don't know the answer but if the B's could clear the zone and throw a solid hit in their own end once in a while, that would be a start. The vets should watch Acciarri lay the body and maybe get embarrassed into showing a little pride!
When is McQuaid back?

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
A goalie is only as good as his defense. And there is no denying that the team, for one reason or another, plays better team defense in front of Khudobin right now.

It seems like the only way Rask will get back to starter status is by stealing a games or two.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

I like living in a world 5 years ago when things seemed simpler and most of the Bruins players were better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad