Pre-Game Talk: Turris back in Ottawa (Turris night 7:30pm on TurriSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Is this true or just something you made up? From everything I read into he was looking for a 7-8 year deal which is ridiculous.
It's true and I think at some point down the line the story will come out about what went down. Let's just say Dorion took the fall for his boss in the media.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Is this true or just something you made up? From everything I read into he was looking for a 7-8 year deal which is ridiculous.

It’s not ridiculous at all. Look at how many guys have 7-8 year deals in the league right now. Turris was our number one centre. Why is it ridiculous that he would want that?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It’s not ridiculous at all. Look at how many guys have 7-8 year deals in the league right now. Turris was our number one centre. Why is it ridiculous that he would want that?

Not ridiculous, and I don't think we all know the full story of events, but I don't think I would want Turris at 7-8 years at the salary I assume he would be getting, and I liked Turris a ton here. I was even very skeptical of the Duchene deal, but if that's what he really wanted I understand why it was made.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Just because he was "our" No. 1 center doesn't mean he should be paid like one. He is a No. 2 center.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Just because he was "our" No. 1 center doesn't mean he should be paid like one. He is a No. 2 center.

What do number 2 centers get paid these days, though? I’m guessing Duchene is gonna get more than 6M, and he’s not really a number 1 either.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
[Mod]

Turris wanted to stay in Ottawa and was upset to be traded. Nothing classless about his reaction whatsoever.

Then why did he, and his agent, not accept any offer made by Ottawa?

Also, why did he, or his agent, not counter offer the deal they were looking for, and received from Nashville?

BTW, do you think that KT was the very first impending UFA to state he "wanted to stay in Ottawa"?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hopefully, Turris & Fisher both get a nice ovation from fans, both were good guys on & specifically off the ice for this community. Subban should get booed, he has no ties to Ottawa, good player but he's the opposition. I like Ryan Ellis, he played midget hockey close to my home town. I like a lot about Nashville actually, as well as Winnipeg.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
[Mod]

Turris wanted to stay in Ottawa and was upset to be traded. Nothing classless about his reaction whatsoever.

Idiotic, eh...

Turris didn't want to stay, which is why he had a ridiculous contract demand. Ottawa didn't go for it and while Kyle and Julie felt he was worth it, Sens made a hard decision not to go for it and parlayed Turris into a better, true option on the No. 1 line.

Now, Turris could have kept quiet and stayed classy, especially on the heels of a 6 yr $36 M deal, but he decided to throw Dorion and Melnyk under the bus. I don't think Dorion deserved that as lots of things happen and are said in negotiations. That has all been well hashed out prior so I will spare you the gory details. But he got what he wanted and should have taken the high road. Him and his spoiled wife.

Sens will rise above and give him his "welcome back" because of the fans. I imagine Dorion will take the opportunity to go for a piss.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What do number 2 centers get paid these days, though? I’m guessing Duchene is gonna get more than 6M, and he’s not really a number 1 either.

I think he is more of a No. 1 than Turris will ever be . I think the $5M-6M range on certain teams, but the term was the major issue here. Turris is already slow and soft, Ottawa rightly felt that in years 5 to 7, his contract would be a terrible deal.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think Fisher is playing tonight. :oops:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Back in Black

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You can debate about what we gave up for Duchene but the fact of the matter is that Ottawa upgraded their number 1 C spot which is incredibly hard to do. I myself believe Duchene is a number 1 and turris was not. I nkow Turris is clutch but he isnt a player who drives the net or plays well along the boards which is really important in close playoff games and something I felt like he truly lacks in his game.

You can argue if Melnyk is wrong or Turris is wrong but I not signing Turris for 6+ years and getting Duchene instead imo is a clear upgrade and a move we should be making 100% of the time.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I think he is more of a No. 1 than Turris will ever be . I think the $5M-6M range on certain teams, but the term was the major issue here. Turris is already slow and soft, Ottawa rightly felt that in years 5 to 7, his contract would be a terrible deal.

And Turris is more of a number 1 than, say, Brassard. Who cares. He isn’t a number 1 on a contending team and neither is Duchene imo.

I never thought Turris was slow or lazy, but maybe I wasn’t watching closely enough. I always thought his biggest problem was his slight frame and lack of strength.

I wouldn’t have had any problem sigining Turris to say, 6Mx7 years, assuming the ask was somewhere in that range (who knows). Agreed that something like 7x8 would have been pretty rough.

Reactions: DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hope Turris lights it up as a big F U to Eugene tonight. Guy wanted to stay and would've stayed for a discount, and was great in the community but Melnyk had to mettle in the operations. Anyways we move forward.

I dunno, every report at the start of the year had him looking for 6x7-8. He signed 6x6. Doesn’t really seem like he was considering a discount from what’s been reported.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And Turris is more of a number 1 than, say, Brassard. Who cares. He isn’t a number 1 on a contending team and neither is Duchene imo.

I never thought Turris was slow or lazy, but maybe I wasn’t watching closely enough. I always thought his biggest problem was his slight frame and lack of strength.

I wouldn’t have had any problem sigining Turris to say, 6Mx7 years, assuming the ask was somewhere in that range (who knows). Agreed that something like 7x8 would have been pretty rough.

I would like Turris over Brassard as a No. 2, yes.

I never called him lazy. He is not a fast skater, average at best and he is not one to come out with a puck along the boards. I find that aspect of Duchene's game, his ability to go into the boards and come out with the puck, is hugely underrated. I agree his frame and strength are drawbacks that I don't ever see changing throughout his career.

I liked Turris for his shooting ability and a guy who should have scored 30 regularly just on that basis alone. But I also think that Stone did more for Turris than vice versa. Turris had that ability, like Hoffman, to change the game with one shot, but between his shots he lacked some tools that made paying him what he wanted to stay in Ottawa, frankly, absurd.

Reactions: JD1

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Idiotic, eh...

Turris didn't want to stay, which is why he had a ridiculous contract demand. Ottawa didn't go for it and while Kyle and Julie felt he was worth it, Sens made a hard decision not to go for it and parlayed Turris into a better, true option on the No. 1 line.

Now, Turris could have kept quiet and stayed classy, especially on the heels of a 6 yr $36 M deal, but he decided to throw Dorion and Melnyk under the bus. I don't think Dorion deserved that as lots of things happen and are said in negotiations. That has all been well hashed out prior so I will spare you the gory details. But he got what he wanted and should have taken the high road. Him and his spoiled wife.

Sens will rise above and give him his "welcome back" because of the fans. I imagine Dorion will take the opportunity to go for a piss.
Turris wanted to stay and was negotiating to do so.

The owner did not want him, so Dorion traded him.

Even if you don't accept these facts, the problem for the Sens is that the dressing room sees Melnyk as such a meddling problem that a well respected player and his wife broke protocol and spoke out.

If you are a fan of this team, that should be your biggest concern.

Reactions: philb613

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa

Even if you don't accept these facts, the problem for the Sens is that the dressing room sees Melnyk as such a meddling problem that a well respected player and his wife broke protocol and spoke out.

Everything about this is 100% accurate. For those saying everything reported said he was looking for 7-8 years big money, it's called negotiating. You ask for more and work towards a compromise. In the end he would've taken the deal he signed in Nashville, he said as much when he was interviewed. Not only that but I have it on good authority that he would've even taken a bit less than what he signed to stay a Sen because him and his wife wanted to be here. Even if we was a #2 centre look at all the teams in the league 6 million is at least the going rate for a high quality #2.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I think major extensions of the large variety are going to end up with ownership at some point. I don't think Melnyk is in there on 2 way contracts and bonus structures...do you?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Everything about this is 100% accurate. For those saying everything reported said he was looking for 7-8 years big money, it's called negotiating. You ask for more and work towards a compromise. In the end he would've taken the deal he signed in Nashville, he said as much when he was interviewed. Not only that but I have it on good authority that he would've even taken a bit less than what he signed to stay a Sen because him and his wife wanted to be here. Even if we was a #2 centre look at all the teams in the league 6 million is at least the going rate for a high quality #2.

6 years was not brought up from either side. That is not negotiating. They started at 7-8 years, Ottawa came back with 5, and that was it. Turris says Ottawa did not bring up 6, and they also did not bring up 6. Which means he wasn't going to take 6.

I also have on good authority that Kyle felt underpaid here and was going to try and recoup on this deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Exactly why he should be booed, that was a terrible slash. I can't believe how many arguments I had with people who didn't think he should have been kicked out, let alone a penalty. Just goes to show you that people who cheer for different teams don't always see things in the same way that home town fans see it or think it should be penalized. Montreal fans in particular are notorious for crying about every little thing that happens to their players & defend their players regardless of how bad a penalty it was. Looks like a nice day out there, enjoy the day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille