Pre-Game Talk: Turris back in Ottawa (Turris night 7:30pm on TurriSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
6 years was not brought up from either side. That is not negotiating. They started at 7-8 years, Ottawa came back with 5, and that was it. Turris says Ottawa did not bring up 6, and they also did not bring up 6. Which means he wasn't going to take 6.

Why does it mean that? Seems like it really means the team had no interest in 6, as they decided to pull the trigger on a trade rather than offer it. Since only the team can go the trade route, they were the ones in control in that regard, and apparently had zero interest in a 6 year deal, which is fine, that's their prerogative, but if that's the case, take ownership of your decision don't hide behind semantics of the player never offering 6.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
6 years was not brought up from either side. That is not negotiating. They started at 7-8 years, Ottawa came back with 5, and that was it. Turris says Ottawa did not bring up 6, and they also did not bring up 6. Which means he wasn't going to take 6.

I also have on good authority that Kyle felt underpaid here and was going to try and recoup on this deal.

Given how well Turris performed here in Ottawa for a number of yrs for a very cap friendly salary he was underpaid & the Sens took advantage of that as any good business would, I think. And when it came time for Turris to get his "big pay day" it was too much for the Sens to give & they had an opportunity to get a player they thought was slightly better offensively & as importantly younger. From a business perspective you have to think it was a good deal for them, also lucky for them is that Duchene is now producing otherwise management would be raked over the coals for the deal. It's all really speculation & conjecture as to what exactly happened & what exactly was offered or not offered, who really knows. My guess is that money & term had a lot to do with it, just like the Zibanejad deal seem to be all about money.

IMO Turris is slightly better defensively, Duchene slightly better offensively & it's kind of a wash with the exception that Duchene is younger. Ottawa should be able to get a few more yrs out of him from the deal at a salary they can better manage for at least a couple of yrs. When Duchene's contract is up it will be interesting to see what he will want & whether the Sens will be able to afford it or go in another direction again. Let's not forget that Ottawa has Brown, Chlapik, White & Batherson all coming & who knows which one of those guys begins to make some noise in 2 or 3 yrs. My guess is that they re-sign Duchene for a couple of million more for a few yrs & wait for their prospects to develop & hopefully prosper. Live long & prosper.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

I also have on good authority that Kyle felt underpaid here and was going to try and recoup on this deal.
So the negotiations were over?

Neither side will put forth their bottom line position until they feel they have to do so to get the deal done, often right at the deadline.

Melnyk has no business being part of this negotiation at ANY POINT. You hire experts to do their job and then let them do it. If you are not satisfied with their performance you replace them.

You want to know why attendance is down.

Meddling owner who is an embarrassment to the team and fanbase and whose word is proven to be useless.

Remember the "we'll spend when the team is a contender and needs the push to get over the top".

What happened this off season?

One double overtime goal away form a cup appearance (i.e. Contender) and what is Melnlyk's response?

Open up the purse strings and bring in a talent to build on the excitement and sell tickets?

Not a chance!

The Duchene/Turris situation is the perfect example. If Melnyk would spend more and allowed Dorion to bring in Duchene as well as resign Turris, the excitement generated would have moved tickets and the team would be closer to a cup.

The fans have every reason to despise this owner and withhold their $. If he wants them to shell out their hard earned money he needs to increase the budget, shut the hell up, stop meddling in the operations of the team and let the experts he's hired do their jobs.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why does it mean that? Seems like it really means the team had no interest in 6, as they decided to pull the trigger on a trade rather than offer it. Since only the team can go the trade route, they were the ones in control in that regard, and apparently had zero interest in a 6 year deal, which is fine, that's their prerogative, but if that's the case, take ownership of your decision don't hide behind semantics of the player never offering 6.
Both sides had no interest in 6.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So the negotiations were over?

Neither side will put forth their bottom line position until they feel they have to do so to get the deal done, often right at the deadline.

Melnyk has no business being part of this negotiation at ANY POINT. You hire experts to do their job and then let them do it. If you are not satisfied with their performance you replace them.

You want to know why attendance is down.

Meddling owner who is an embarrassment to the team and fanbase and whose word is proven to be useless.

Remember the "we'll spend when the team is a contender and needs the push to get over the top".

What happened this off season?

One double overtime goal away form a cup appearance (i.e. Contender) and what is Melnlyk's response?

Open up the purse strings and bring in a talent to build on the excitement and sell tickets?

Not a chance!

The Duchene/Turris situation is the perfect example. If Melnyk would spend more and allowed Dorion to bring in Duchene as well as resign Turris, the excitement generated would have moved tickets and the team would be closer to a cup.

The fans have every reason to despise this owner and withhold their $. If he wants them to shell out their hard earned money he needs to increase the budget, shut the hell up, stop meddling in the operations of the team and let the experts he's hired do their jobs.

Derailed much...bottom line is no one went to 6 years because , and only people in the room know for sure, Turris wasn't staying, and Ottawa wasn't buying. If Turris offered 6, it would have been a different scenario, but everyone stood pat. It happens.

I don't think there was any other way to get Duchene here. And I am glad that Duchene is here, bottom line. And he will cost more than Turris would have.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Appreciate what Turris did for the team and charities etc..., looking forward to watching the better player in Matt Duchene for the Sens tonight!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Well, it's not Ottawa's fault he signed on a fairly long-term contract at 3.5m. I don't see how a player can hold that against a franchise. I understand his headspace, but he signed the damn deal himself, there is nothing to 'recoup'.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Actually Turris did go to 6 when he found out the deal to Nashville was about to go through and made a last ditch effort to stay, and management said to him ownership wasn't willing to do a deal with him. Anyways you clearly want to believe he wouldn't sign here for that so whatever helps you sleep at night.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Actually Turris did go to 6 when he found out the deal to Nashville was about to go through and made a last ditch effort to stay, and management said to him ownership wasn't willing to do a deal with him. Anyways you clearly want to believe he wouldn't sign here for that so whatever helps you sleep at night.

That’s odd given that both Turris and Dorion acknowledged that 6 years was never on the table from either side.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just because he was "our" No. 1 center doesn't mean he should be paid like one. He is a No. 2 center.

Nikita Zaitsev got a 7 year deal. I’m not agreeing with it, just saying it’s not ridiculous for Turris to ask for 7-8 years. He was one of the best players on our team. We had no idea what kind of money he was asking for.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both sides had no interest in 6.
Clearly Turris was willing to accept a 6 year deal from Nashville, as that's what he signed. Perhaps they bothered to offer him one, and he though, sure why not. From what I understood, he wasn't the one offering a 6 year option in that negotiation either. Poile said Turris wanted 8 years when they had their teleconference. Tbh, it seems like Turris wanted 8, was moving down to 7, but the sens stayed firm at 5. Maybe if the Sens bothered to come closer to the middle too, we'd be in a different scenario altogether.

In the end, I'm happy to have Duchene, I think he'll be a great fit. I don't like how much we gave up to get him, but that seems to be the norm around here these days. But, I can still like Turris, who was great while here, both on the ice, and in the community. I can understand why he'd be unhappy with the way negotiations went if the Sens never moved from 5 years too, that's not exactly a show of faith on the part of the team.

I also find it funny that you call out Turris for not being classy and throwing Dorion under the bus; Dorion is the one that basically tried to pin the trade on Turris saying that he wasn't signed because 6 years was never on the table, implying Turris wasn't willing to sign here for that. There really was no reason for Dorion to go there, he just slung some mud at Turris on the way out instead of just sticking to "we feel we acquired a player that will help us no and in the future, and you have to give something to get something". Sure, Turris could have kept his mind to himself, but lets not paint Dorion as a saint in this scenario. He was airing dirty laundry from the start.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
4 hours to g0 :popcorn:

Classic 100 Night
DOxXMQMXUAAs4Bn.jpg

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I was surprised when I heard a radio ad for this game yesterday. The ad went along the lines of "See young star Thomas Chabot take on the Predators led by Subban"
Like really? Thats what you're trying to sell tickets to this game? Nothing about Turris or even Fisher at all? GG Sens Marketing.

They probably make those commercials in huge batches way ahead of time. I've been listening to TSN 1200 periodically lately, and it's always "See Chabot take on x".

I think the biggest take away from that is the team pushing Chabot as a star. Not Karlsson. Not Stone. It's not exactly the wrong move, but it's interesting none the less.

Unless they change them up weekly or monthly, every commercial I have heard for every game over the last little while has been Chabot.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
They probably make those commercials in huge batches way ahead of time. I've been listening to TSN 1200 periodically lately, and it's always "See Chabot take on x".

I think the biggest take away from that is the team pushing Chabot as a star. Not Karlsson. Not Stone. It's not exactly the wrong move, but it's interesting none the less.

Unless they change them up weekly or monthly, every commercial I have heard for every game over the last little while has been Chabot.

If I remember correctly the radio ads were pushing Stone a lot at the beginning of the season
Since he's injured now they switch it out
I might be wrong though

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's true and I think at some point down the line the story will come out about what went down. Let's just say Dorion took the fall for his boss in the media.

Here's the problem I have.

I've seen about 3 or 4 different posters who "know a guy who know a guy" all have different stories about Turris. These are mostly recognizable posters, and while I take everything from that sort of "source" with a grain of salt, it says something that so many people have a different story about what apparently went down with Turris.

To me, it's incredibly evident that Dorion was stalling to make a Duchene deal by only offering 5 years. This isn't based on inside sources, just common sense watching how the whole Duchene thing went down. It's evident with Turris the writing was on the wall in the summer and one or both sides didn't want to get something done. What I don't know is if that situation was manufactured by Dorion in order to stall and get Duchene because he knew he couldn't afford both, or if the trade for Duchene was necessitated by Melnyk refusing to sign Turris to a market value deal, or manufactured by Turris not wanting to be here or only wanting to be here for a home run contract. (Or maybe even both)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad