Pre-Game Talk: Turris back in Ottawa (Turris night 7:30pm on TurriSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Was there ever a time when this team marketed EK??

Not that I know of, and it is a major issue. One of the biggest draws in sports is stars, and it took both Ottawa and the rest of the NHL until last year's playoff run to truly grasp how special Erik Karlsson is. The Senators completely have fumbled Karlsson as a marketing asset over the last few years.

I just think it's peculiar that the commercials would have Chabot as the star that they are marketing around. With Karlsson not yet extended, I don't exactly think it's the wrong choice to build up Chabot if that's what they are doing.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
They probably make those commercials in huge batches way ahead of time. I've been listening to TSN 1200 periodically lately, and it's always "See Chabot take on x".

I think the biggest take away from that is the team pushing Chabot as a star. Not Karlsson. Not Stone. It's not exactly the wrong move, but it's interesting none the less.

Unless they change them up weekly or monthly, every commercial I have heard for every game over the last little while has been Chabot.
I mean they probably do have a bunch done up near the beginning of the season but you would think a team who wants to fill seats would exploit the whole turris/fusher thing.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Here's the problem I have.

I've seen about 3 or 4 different posters who "know a guy who know a guy" all have different stories about Turris. These are mostly recognizable posters, and while I take everything from that sort of "source" with a grain of salt, it says something that so many people have a different story about what apparently went down with Turris.

To me, it's incredibly evident that Dorion was stalling to make a Duchene deal by only offering 5 years. This isn't based on inside sources, just common sense watching how the whole Duchene thing went down. It's evident with Turris the writing was on the wall in the summer and one or both sides didn't want to get something done. What I don't know is if that situation was manufactured by Dorion in order to stall and get Duchene because he knew he couldn't afford both, or if the trade for Duchene was necessitated by Melnyk refusing to sign Turris to a market value deal, or manufactured by Turris not wanting to be here or only wanting to be here for a home run contract. (Or maybe even both)

Excellent post and this sums up my feelings entirely.

I doubt we’ll ever know the whole story, but it seems fairly obvious that Dorion wanted Duchene and was stalling the Turris negotiations while he hammered out a deal. Otherwise it makes no sense not to at least offer the same deal that he ended up signing in Nashville.

That much feels certain to me. Anything further is speculation. Did Turris want to stay? Would Turris have accepted 6x6 in Ottawa? Did Melnyk instruct Dorion to trade Turris rather than sign him? Did management feel as though signing Turris to a deal longer than 5 years wasn’t good for the organization?

Who knows?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Who cares is more like it.

Duchene is better and younger.

Agreed.

But I liked Turris during his time here, and I don’t think it’s fair to paint him as classless or greedy when nobody seems to know the full story. Nor is it fair to assume that Melnyk and Dorion shipped him out to save a buck. There isn’t enough information.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed.

But I liked Turris during his time here, and I don’t think it’s fair to paint him as classless or greedy when nobody seems to know the fulls story. Nor is it fair to assume that Melnyk and Dorion shipped him out to save a buck. There isn’t enough information.

there isnt enough info to determine what you've identified. I agree.

what we do know is that Dorion nor Turris wanted to go 6.

My belief is it was a negotiating tactic on Turris side- which is pretty normal - but a hockey decision on Dorion's side. My gut instinct is he wasn' going 6 with Kyle.

Anyway....on to Duchene. he's the better player

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So the negotiations were over?

Neither side will put forth their bottom line position until they feel they have to do so to get the deal done, often right at the deadline.

Melnyk has no business being part of this negotiation at ANY POINT. You hire experts to do their job and then let them do it. If you are not satisfied with their performance you replace them.

You want to know why attendance is down.

Meddling owner who is an embarrassment to the team and fanbase and whose word is proven to be useless.

Remember the "we'll spend when the team is a contender and needs the push to get over the top".

What happened this off season?

One double overtime goal away form a cup appearance (i.e. Contender) and what is Melnlyk's response?

Open up the purse strings and bring in a talent to build on the excitement and sell tickets?

Not a chance!

The Duchene/Turris situation is the perfect example. If Melnyk would spend more and allowed Dorion to bring in Duchene as well as resign Turris, the excitement generated would have moved tickets and the team would be closer to a cup.

The fans have every reason to despise this owner and withhold their $. If he wants them to shell out their hard earned money he needs to increase the budget, shut the hell up, stop meddling in the operations of the team and let the experts he's hired do their jobs.

Ok so curios minds want to know....how exactly do we bring in Duchene while keeping Turris?

That's easy to say but it isn't easy to do. So tell me...if you think that should have been done...how exactly do you pull that off?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
lineup at practice

Hoffman - Duchene - White
Dzingel - Smith - DiDomenico
Paajarvi - Pageau - Pyatt
McCormick - Blunden

Oduya - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Borowiecki
Claesson

Andy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Actually Turris did go to 6 when he found out the deal to Nashville was about to go through and made a last ditch effort to stay, and management said to him ownership wasn't willing to do a deal with him. Anyways you clearly want to believe he wouldn't sign here for that so whatever helps you sleep at night.

so on the Friday night when he realized the deal was going thru he went to 6 at the last second?

interesting. I'm not going to doubt that.

It supports what I posted when the deal happened. The player has a history of hardball negotiations. He gambled the team would up its term offer and he lost it seems.

Thanks for the info. it supports what I've thought for some time and posted here a few times

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
White and Chabot are best buds it seems.
After last game. White said about Chabot : You know, he's my bro !

I found thar very funny that he said it in front of the camera. They are having fun living their dream.

That's why i fins it important to have some kods growing together. The chemistry off the ice normally result on ice.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
This is gonna be a dope game. WWF style storyline drama in that tonight decides entirely (for the history of all hockey) who wins the Duchene-Turris Winner Of The Trade trade championship belt (Dorion or Sakic) and Boucher is gonna be forced to play Colin White like 47 minutes since we have no forwards.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ok so curios minds want to know....how exactly do we bring in Duchene while keeping Turris?

That's easy to say but it isn't easy to do. So tell me...if you think that should have been done...how exactly do you pull that off?

Trade different assets.

Spend more money.

You're welcome

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Honestly curious: of Brassard and Turris, who had the most trade value? Turris is the better player (obvious to me at least), but Brassard is cheaper and under contract for next year. So imagine we signed Turris to the 6 x 6 deal. Would swapping him with Brassard still make the Duchene deal possible? Because I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Honestly curious: of Brassard and Turris, who had the most trade value? Turris is the better player (obvious to me at least), but Brassard is cheaper and under contract for next year. So imagine we signed Turris to the 6 x 6 deal. Would swapping him with Brassard still make the Duchene deal possible? Because I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Brassard had a bad regular season last year, but otherwise, I don't think there is as big of a difference in terms of who is the better player. They are different types of players, but in terms of better are worse, both pretty close. Maybe it's unfair since Turris hasn't been on a playoff contender like Brassard has been in New York, but I think purely on paper, Brassard would be more valuable based on his rep for stepping it up in the playoffs and being a big game player.

In terms of a real world trade value based on not just how good the player is, but age, contract, etc. I think Turris at 2 years younger and signed to a 6x6 extension without any trade protection probably fetched a bigger return than 2 playoff runs of Brassard before he becomes a UFA at nearly 32 years of age and will likely bargain for a risky contract that will take him through his mid 30s. Although, there are probably some teams out there who'd value Brassard more because they could not fit Turris in for 6 years starting in July 2018, but they are probably in the minority. Obviously, this is all me guessing.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This is gonna be a dope game. WWF style storyline drama in that tonight decides entirely (for the history of all hockey) who wins the Duchene-Turris Winner Of The Trade trade championship belt (Dorion or Sakic) and Boucher is gonna be forced to play Colin White like 47 minutes since we have no forwards.

Maybe Alfie will show up and hit Melnyk with a steel chair from behind

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Don't think we would be able to, or don't think it's feasible with the constraints of the Sens.

Turris is fine as a 1b centre when he is making 3.5, we can put more money elsewhere.

He's not fine when he is your 1b at 6+.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
EK sounded not so thrilled onTSN 1200 to see his longtime friend traded

First 6 games of the season for EK with Turris still on the team
He puts up points at like 2 ppg pace
When Turris is traded he disappear...

Not blaming anyone here

Just looking at facts

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Don't think we would be able to, or don't think it's feasible with the constraints of the Sens.

Turris is fine as a 1b centre when he is making 3.5, we can put more money elsewhere.

He's not fine when he is your 1b at 6+.

ya that's pretty much how I see it.

Sakic wanted a ton. We didn't have the assets to get him without Turris and personally I wouldn't want Turris at 6 by 6

Reactions: BondraTime

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
EK sounded not so thrilled onTSN 1200 to see his longtime friend traded

First 6 games of the season for EK with Turris still on the team
He puts up points at like 2 ppg pace
When Turris is traded he disappear...

Not blaming anyone here

Just looking at facts

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. It's not like EK was playing tremendous, cause he wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->