TSN reports proposal was made today (2.9.05) by the NHL and PA rejected .

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
shakes said:
Arent these triggers worse than the deal that the NHL offered? What a crap deal.

How so? The league is saying we'll try it your way and if it works, great. If not, we'll try it our way.
The bottom line is that if the players were being genuine in saying that their plan works, they should have no fear.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I think this is good news (yeah the eternal optimist)

We have a frame work from both side to get a deal. Move a little here or there on the numbers and this could get done. I bet the NHLPA problem was the triggers, not the whole deal.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
go kim johnsson said:
From the looks of it, it seems as if the NHLPA wasn't going to have any say over whether or not their proposal was actually working.

And why should they? They still insist the *last* CBA worked. :lol

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
How so? The league is saying we'll try it your way and if it works, great. If not, we'll try it our way.
The bottom line is that if the players were being genuine in saying that their plan works, they should have no fear.

The league is saying we'll try it your way with triggers that are lower than the last deal the NHL presented. Doesn't seem logical to me. Also.. 4 teams? Wouldn't enacting this deal even with a 24% rollback trigger a new CBA considering no grandfather clause would put quite a few teams over the limit?

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
What about the PA coming back with the same offer than the NHL just proposed with just slightly different numbers for the trigger? There's gotta be a common ground here don't you think?

Something like

1. More than 58 percent of league revenues goes to payroll
2. More than three teams spending more than $45 million
3. Average payroll exceeds $38.5 million
4. Disparity of payroll between the average of the top three teams is 40 percent greater than those of the bottom three.
Forgive my math if I'm wrong, but that would mean if the top three average $45 million, the bottom three can average no less than $27 million.

Now that the owners have accepted the fact that it would be difficult to implement the hard cap right away (it has always been a difficult point for me to understand how they would trim all the payrolls without using the PA's rollback), Goodenow just needs to make the numbers work a little more in favour of the players and we got ourselves a deal !!!

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
"We've made three proposals in a row and, generally, we haven't gotten any counter proposals."

Sums up the PA's willingness to negotiate right there.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
WrightOn said:
That's what I was thinking they'll be looking at tonight and/or tomorrow....

Obsolutely....The players are being given the opportunity to get what they want. So use this as a basis and start negotiating the triggers....

I think if the season does happen...its gonna be based upon something like this...

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
FrenchKheldar said:
What about the PA coming back with the same offer than the NHL just proposed with just slightly different numbers for the trigger? There's gotta be a common ground here don't you think?

Something like

1. More than 58 percent of league revenues goes to payroll
2. More than three teams spending more than $45 million
3. Average payroll exceeds $38.5 million
4. Disparity of payroll between the average of the top three teams is 40 percent greater than those of the bottom three.
Forgive my math if I'm wrong, but that would mean if the top three average $45 million, the bottom three can average no less than $27 million.

Now that the owners have accepted the fact that it would be difficult to implement the hard cap right away (it has always been a difficult point for me to understand how they would trim all the payrolls without using the PA's rollback), Goodenow just needs to make the numbers work a little more in favour of the players and we got ourselves a deal !!!

Or bump up the numbers a little and make it so that 2 of 4 have to happen for the cap to be triggered.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
shakes said:
It is a PR stunt. Apparently the players have no say in whether or not its working and if the NHL deems in their own non specified terms that its not then they get the deal they've always wanted. No fuss no muss..

We are several days from the cancellation of a season... a little late for a PR stunt, I would think

and the players do have a say on how it works.. they said they guarantee that their deal would work.. so.. prove it

Gary gave the PA the deal they wanted... but he was rejected...

I think they are very close to a deal.. if the PA is smart, they will negotiate the triggers and perhaps some specifics in the fallout CBA

but i am disappointed in the NHLPA.. this was their chance to swoop in and 'save' the season.. instead, the league had to do it

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
snakepliskin said:
after the 24% rollback these salary trigtgers should be relatively safe--somebody do the math

Until the players start demanding outrageous salaries.. which they know they will do.. thats why they rejected it

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
bettman makes the standard arguement, and he has got it down. we will not pay more than we can afford, we will no longer have teams that cant afford to not play. he said it a lot better than i did, and it was well done.

cant afford

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
The trigger number of 36.5 million can possibly be adjusted higher down the road according to revenue growth.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I heard John Davidson this evening on WFAN.Both sides want a deal.JD said 15 teams would vote to play right now and the low revenue teams can not expect the big revenue market teams to spend the same amount as Atlanta,Nashville and Pittsburgh.JD said Bettman will get his hard cap but it will not linked to revenue.It would be a soft cap which turns into a hard cap with a luxury tax in between triggered at a certain threshold.JD also said the players are pestering Goodenow about wanting to play this year.The luxury tax would be distributed to the low revenue teams to reach the salary floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad