TSN reports proposal was made today (2.9.05) by the NHL and PA rejected .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Greschner4 said:
If the league was willing to play under the December 9 proposal and the PA turned it down, I don't see how anyone can be pro-PA.

If that was it, I would have been shock to see the PA refuse it.

You're right about that EXCEPT that's not WHAT IT WAS.

Another GREAT P.R. MOVE from Bettman who I admit is a KING from disguising the truth.

It's the DECEMBER 9th proposal masked into the February 2nd owners proposal.

On T.V by Sportsnet, the NHL put 4 CONDITIONS which is laughable to move from the PA's offer to the OWNERS offer.

#1 If more than 3 teams got more than a 42M$ payroll, it's now the OWNERS February 2nd proposals to become the CBA

#2 If more than 33% of the payroll separate the bottom 3 & the top 3 , it's now the OWNERS February 2nd proposals to become the CBA

#3 If the average payroll is more than 36,9M$, it's now the OWNERS February 2nd proposals to become the CBA

#4 I'll try remember what was on TV.

But again it's a PR move from Bettman to make the PA look bad.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
My take on it... room to negotiate if both sides are willing.

1. More than 55 percent of league revenues goes to payroll

This is A-OK.

2. More than three teams spending more than $42.5 million

Should be moved up.

3. Average payroll exceeds $36.5 million ($38.5?)

Stupid. is basically #1. should be removed.

4. Disparity of payroll between the average of the top three teams is 33 percent greater than those of the bottom three.

Bump the disparity figure way up, and say disparity between 3rd highest is 66% higher than the third lowest or something.

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
JWI19 said:
Easily, Detroit after the rollback payroll is around 43 million. Flyers are higher than that so there are three teams already.

So if we take 45M$ threshold, it would be tight but would work. And you could assume these teams would have trade away some players like Whitney for the Wings to lesser teams so that the low payroll teams meet the trigger...

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
shakes said:
The league is saying we'll try it your way with triggers that are lower than the last deal the NHL presented. Doesn't seem logical to me. Also.. 4 teams? Wouldn't enacting this deal even with a 24% rollback trigger a new CBA considering no grandfather clause would put quite a few teams over the limit?

The triggers aren't significantly lower at all and some are higher.

Linkage
Previous: 55 percent Now: 55 percent

Cap
Previous:$ 42 million hard cap Now: Three teams can be above $42 million

Average payroll
Previous: Range between $32 and $42 million Now: $36.5 million

Payroll disparity:

Previous: About 24 percent Now: 33 percent

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
snakepliskin said:
after the 24% rollback these salary trigtgers should be relatively safe--somebody do the math

Detroit = 59mill after rollback
St Louis - 46million
Philly - 52 million
Toronto - 47 million
Dallas - 52 million

Pretty much these five would trigger it after the roll back.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ridiculous offer.

The tax has to perform pretty much like the owners cap, or they'll institute....their cap.

Great deal, huh?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
FrenchKheldar said:
So if we take 45M$ threshold, it would be tight but would work. And you could assume these teams would have trade away some players like Whitney for the Wings to lesser teams so that the low payroll teams meet the trigger...

Thats why i see hope, if both sides will work within this framework of the deal/

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
bleedgreen said:
triggers dont start after next season - they would negotiate on this season, but starting next season, the triggers are immediate. its a tough deal.

its not a tough deal. It makes the NHLPA look FOOLISH.

Basically, the NHL just called the NHLPA on thier deal, and asked them to guarentee their numbers.

The NHLPA, by refusing it, just accepted the fact that thier deal wouldnt gaurentee a healthy league. How else can you look at this? The NHL just ACCEPTED Thier Offer....

A Question was just made to Bettman "Goodenow just basically refused his own offer. Hes basically admitting his own offer wont work" and Bettman didnt wanna say anything, but you could tell he understood the tone of the question.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
dater from the denver mentioned to bettman that fans are tearing up goodenow for not taking his own deal. where else are they doing that? I THINK WE JUST MADE THIS PRESS CONFERENCE.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PepNCheese said:
Ridiculous offer.

The tax has to perform pretty much like the owners cap, or they'll institute....their cap.

Isn't that what the players said it would do?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
shakes said:
St Louis - 46million
Philly - 52 million
Toronto - 47 million
Dallas - 52 million

I dont know where you got your numbers shakes, cause before the roll back Detroit payroll is less than 59 million

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The NHLPA should have taken the offer and ran, and then when the NHL wants to switch to the cap just strike then! There would be a LOT more pressure on the owners the second time around since nobody would want to go through this crap again and they'd be more likely to get what they wanted.

*shrug* Someone point out the bad idea of this strategy for me, heheh..

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
shakes said:
St Louis - 46million
Philly - 52 million
Toronto - 47 million
Dallas - 52 million

Detroit is at about $42 million after the rollback.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
This is so funny. This thread is turning in to another "Yay Hurray the season is saved.... lets start looking at the logistics of it"

I said it before ... this is deja vu all over again (and again, and again,.....) don't be surprised to see the hammer come down after they don't reach a settlement.... :eek:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
X8oD said:
its not a tough deal. It makes the NHLPA look FOOLISH.

Basically, the NHL just called the NHLPA on thier deal, and asked them to guarentee their numbers.
its tough because bettman said everyone has to fit by next season - or its triggered. and any time one trigger is touched its over. its not like they are saying, lets play it out for a season or even two, then have concrete evidence it isnt working. its set up to fail, i can say that and im on the owners side. they need to have a time frame to see if it can work, its tough to say the second someone touches these maybe next december....bam, thats it.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Good question.....can't the owners spend their way into hitting the triggers......this is absolutely correct......his response is if the system would work it won't trigger them...he doubts it would work, but he is trying to make a deal.

I think this is a brilliant PR move by Bettman to call Goodenow's bluff.

I don't see why the NHLPA would have asked them to stick around in Toronto for further talks tonight or tommorow...unless they will further discuss triggers.

He said he offered this on his own, didn't tell owners first.

Also said he wouldn't be having this public discourse if it looked like the NHLPA was interested in it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
bettman brought up that leavitt offered the pa a chance to look at everything he did and refute it. they refused to even look. we already know that, but its always a good point. its over, thats all i heard sorry if i missed something important.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Lol!!!!!!!

hockeytown9321 said:
Except that the owners would now have incentive to let costs get out of control.

They already have an incentive!!!

They want to win.

The league just made it obvious how inconsistent the players position is.....

Oh, and also anyone who supports the NHLPA stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad