TSN reports proposal was made today (2.9.05) by the NHL and PA rejected .

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
The Iconoclast said:
THEY HAVE REFUSED THEIR OWN OFFER!!! How do you defend that?
Errr.. easy... becasue they didn't refuse their own offer. Their offer had nothing about the league being able to call "uncle" and switch to their system whenever they wanted..

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
EndBoards said:
Errr.. easy... becasue they didn't refuse their own offer. Their offer had nothing about the league being able to call "uncle" and switch to their system whenever they wanted..

But since the players say the system will work, why would the owners intentionally sabotage it? Seems like the PA won't put its money where its mouth is.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
The Season will be cancelled if an Agreement is Not made by This weekend.

Per Bettmans Conference Call.

And they made a proposal, their 3rd in 3 months. And it was a compromise, they will start the collective bargining agreement based on the Unions December 9th deal. And if they didnt work, it would automatically switch to the NHL's Propsal made around their last offer.

And the NHLPA flat out denied it. So, the NHL gave in, and gave them their deal, but said if it didnt work, they then wanted their proposal to click in. And they said No.

So,what exactly is the defense to this. the NHLPA just refused thier OWN Offer?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
EndBoards said:

Why would they do that if the players system works like they say it will?

why would any owner try to lose money if the system they have works?

answer me that please.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Nothing new to report. TSN and the media has basically summed up what Bettman is speaking. PA has infact invted the NHL back to the Batcave and talks will resume either tonight, or tomorrow... combo of both?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
offered the split deal. pa refused. bettman gives speech saying the league wants to play the players what they can afford to pay - no more no less. bettman has been invited to stay in to.
if league pays out more than 55% or
4 teams over 42 million or
average team over 36 million or
missed the third one

these are the triggers the league can switch to their offer.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Greschner4 said:
I agree that the definition of "not working" is important, but I never thought I'd see the day that a union would reject its own proposal.

Uneffing believable.

Important?!?!? Geez.. dont let logic get in the way of a good player bashing. It is a PR stunt. Apparently the players have no say in whether or not its working and if the NHL deems in their own non specified terms that its not then they get the deal they've always wanted. No fuss no muss..

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
think/blue said:
Anyone hear the 4 triggers?

all related to spending.

If the top 3 HIghest spenders spent more than 33% of the bottom 3. was the only one I really understood.

But they were all tied to how much money was spent, in relattion to how much money was Brought in.

Bettman just took a cheap shot and said "it appears that They dont want a partnership with us that is tied to money being made"

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
SSJTOM said:
right over my head.

what does that mean?

The four ways that the PA's December proposal would switch over to the NHL's proposal this month.

1. More than 3 teams over $42 million payroll (I think)
2. Owners paying more than 55% of revenue

I didn't catch the last two.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
offered the split deal. pa refused. bettman gives speech saying the league wants to play the players what they can afford to pay - no more no less. bettman has been invited to stay in to.
if league pays out more than 55% or
4 teams over 42 million or
average team over 36 million or
missed the third one

these are the triggers the league can switch to their offer.

Arent these triggers worse than the deal that the NHL offered? What a crap deal.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
think/blue said:
Anyone hear the 4 triggers?

I'm paraphrasing, so be kind if I get it slightly wrong:

1. More than 55 percent of league revenues goes to payroll
2. More than three teams spending more than $42.5 million
3. Average payroll exceeds $36.5 million ($38.5?)
4. Disparity of payroll between the average of the top three teams is 33 percent greater than those of the bottom three.
Forgive my math if I'm wrong, but that would mean if the top three average $42 million, the bottom three can average no less than $28 million.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
I'm paraphrasing, so be kind if I get it slightly wrong:

1. More than 55 percent of league revenues goes to payroll
2. More than three teams spending more than $42.5 million
3. Average payroll exceeds $36.5 million ($38.5?)
4. Disparity of payroll between the average of the top three teams is 33 percent greater than those of the bottom three.
Forgive my math if I'm wrong, but that would mean if the top three average $42 million, the bottom three can average no less than $28 million.

Thats what i understood it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad