TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Baron Von Shark said:
Does anyone have a link to the incident? If so, please PM me. I want to see what happened.

Im with Baron here after having read this thread i really want to see it for myself

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Actually

Bruwinz37 said:
If you feel the need to jump into the conversation on page 7 please have the respect to follow what is being discussed. I have stated several times that what Johnson did was wrong. Although I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to the BACK of someone's head....unless you are talking about a different play. He was squarely in front of him when he hit him.

I have so many posts in a row because I started on page one and have been working my way through the posts.

You aren't seriously saying that Johnson did not hit Downie from behind are you?

Macman

May 15, 2004
JrHockeyFan said:
That is some kind of TIVO you have there! It can tell intent and medical issues at the same time!

I also have this recorded on DVD and watched it as many times as was necessary to see that what Johnson did was a deliberate attempt to hit Downie in the back of the head. Contact was made, how much is debateable. Neither DVD OR TIVO can tell you that.

If anybody is looking at this incident with "overblown patriotism" it is you. You are sweeping under the table the fact that Johnson threw an elbow at a guy from behind. That is clear intent to injure. You just want to colour what came afterward to make it squeaky clean.

Fact of the matter is that what Johnson did was totally wrong and he got no real penalty for it. Try being the slightest bit objective and admit it why don't you.

And by the way, concussions are not all readily detectable. And shots to the back of the head do not limit damage to the head. The neck can be seriously injured as well. But you don't seem to care anyway since you only seem intent to see what you want to see in your magic TIVO unit.

Um, it wasn't to the back of the head. Go watch again.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
JrHockeyFan said:
I have so many posts in a row because I started on page one and have been working my way through the posts.

You aren't seriously saying that Johnson did not hit Downie from behind are you?

Uhh..yea I am.

Better luck next time.

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
Matt I think it looked worse than it was, period. Perhaps they felt Johnson held back a bit. I wish I had a different camera angle than the one TSN kept using (has anyone else seen another angle?). It is hard to give an intent to injure when the player barely makes contact even if it did look bad. Again, not condoning anything either way, just saying that Downie embellished what happened.

How did it look worse than it did?? Johnson cleary tried to elbow Downie in the head. There is no mistake about that. There was clear intent. With respect to the slash on JJ. Downie clearly just tapped him. Hardly provication for what JJ did.

For you or anybody trying to downplay what JJ did, or insinuate Downie dove or embellished the hit is ludicrous. What JJ did has no place in the game. I for one am dissapointed the IIHF didn't send a clear message in this regard.

For the life of me, I can't understand your stance and view on this play.
:shakehead

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
That is some kind of TIVO you have there! It can tell intent and medical issues at the same time!

Nope. From what I watched I formed my own actual opinions. I did not get caught up in the moment like so many people did including the announcers. I watched it in super slo-mo several times and formed my opinion.

I also have this recorded on DVD and watched it as many times as was necessary to see that what Johnson did was a deliberate attempt to hit Downie in the back of the head. Contact was made, how much is debateable. Neither DVD OR TIVO can tell you that.

Well your DVD must have a kink because it wasnt from behind. You are talking about the hit at the end of the game, right?

If anybody is looking at this incident with "overblown patriotism" it is you. You are sweeping under the table the fact that Johnson threw an elbow at a guy from behind. That is clear intent to injure. You just want to colour what came afterward to make it squeaky clean.

Actually I have continually condemned Johnson's actions. You feel the need to post to every response made in this thread without actually doing the work of reading through first so maybe you havent gotten that through your head yet. I have also stated that I could care less who won the game.

Fact of the matter is that what Johnson did was totally wrong and he got no real penalty for it. Try being the slightest bit objective and admit it why don't you.

He got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, but you are right, he received nothing other than that. Had he made real contact he probably would have been suspended by the IIHF.

And by the way, concussions are not all readily detectable. And shots to the back of the head do not limit damage to the head. The neck can be seriously injured as well. But you don't seem to care anyway since you only seem intent to see what you want to see in your magic TIVO unit

For the last time he did not get hit to the back of the head. A majority of my opinion comes from his head not snapping back at all when he got hit. If it comes out that he has a concussion and/or other injuries I will GLADLY admit I was wrong. Actually all along I was hoping better camera angles would come out to show it better. Wonder why the Canadian network TSN hasnt shown any??

Transported Upstater

xander said:
If Johnson was so upset about the slash then he should have dropped his gloves. That kind of cheapshot is just never ok an should have lead to a suspension. The intent was there, regardless of how much conctact was there.

There is no fighting allowed in the WJC's. As far as I know it is an automatic suspension.

Macman

May 15, 2004
xander said:
If Johnson was so upset about the slash then he should have dropped his gloves.

Because then he ACTUALLY would have been suspended. And there, in a nutshell, is the insanity of the situation.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Elbowing people in the face in IIHF is allowed and as far as I know it's not an automatic suspension. :sarcasm:

IIHF = Bush League

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Not sure how anyone can defend such a brutal elbow to the head!

Jackson and Downie both exchanged little taps to the legs with their sticks, no reason to throw that vicious eblow out. It was a dirty cheapshot, probably out of frustration from losing the game. It's especially bad considering Downie didn't have the puck and it was not as if Jackson was going in for a hit and just happened to have his elbows up, he blatantly tried to take his head off with his elbow. He is young and no need to hold it against him in the future, unless he continues with such acts, but nonetheless it was a brutal elblow that probably did deserve a match penalty.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bruwinz37 said:
Please then address why:

It wasnt a match penalty.

No suspensions were issued after video replay by the IIHF.

Downie has no concussion.

Mine is a theory based on review of the tape and the above stated. Seems most people here are basing their opinion on overblown patriotism and the maniacal rants of whoever was on TSN overreacting to the whole situation.

Who cares if Downie has a concussion or not. The fact (and by fact I mean it is indisputable) of the matter is Jack Johnson tried to hurt Steve Downie with a blatant cheap shot. Nothing else matters.

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
Nope. From what I watched I formed my own actual opinions. I did not get caught up in the moment like so many people did including the announcers. I watched it in super slo-mo several times and formed my opinion.

Irrespective of the amount of contact JJ elbow made with Downie's head. I am sorry but how can you not conclude that was a vicious, deliberate attempt to injure??

:dunno: :dunno:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Who cares if Downie has a concussion or not. The fact (and by fact I mean it is indisputable) of the matter is Jack Johnson tried to hurt Steve Downie with a blatant cheap shot. Nothing else matters.

GKJ, I dont disagree with that. But I do maintain my stance that Downie embellished the whole thing and Johnson didnt make much contact. That was my only point here. No one is trying to defend Johnson.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
If you feel the need to jump into the conversation on page 7 please have the respect to follow what is being discussed. I have stated several times that what Johnson did was wrong. Although I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to the BACK of someone's head....unless you are talking about a different play. He was squarely in front of him when he hit him.

Johnson was skating from behind Downie when he went for the flying elbow...you still do not get that saying you dont condone what he did means absolutely jack all.

the attempt to injure/paralyze/kill/knock out cold/concuss someone has to be worth something, and you trying to say that the dive was worth just as much as the attempt to injure shows your level of hockey knowledge to me end of story :sarcasm:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
lennie said:
Irrespective of the amount of contact JJ elbow made with Downie's head. I am sorry but how can you not conclude that was a vicious, deliberate attempt to injure??

:dunno: :dunno:

Never said it wasnt.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
GKJ, I dont disagree with that. But I do maintain my stance that Downie embellished the whole thing and Johnson didnt make much contact. That was my only point here. No one is trying to defend Johnson.

Listen, I have been in this thread from the start with you, you clearly have defended Jack Johnson to the furthest possible extent of defending anyone, who are you kidding? are you trying to put on a show for people who havent read the entire thread? because myself as well as many others on this thread know that your opinion on this subject = that of someone who has either never watched hockey before(which blows my mind that you have near 10000 posts) or is incredibly biased for team usa and jack johnson.

Tell me what you believe should have happened here? Should Jack Johnson have got a Match Penalty? Should he have been suspended for the next game/ rest of the tourney?
You tell me.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Johnson was skating from behind Downie when he went for the flying elbow...you still do not get that saying you dont condone what he did means absolutely jack all.

He cut in front of him and came high with the elbow. It wasnt from behind. I am starting to think you didnt even see it.

the attempt to injure/paralyze/kill/knock out cold/concuss someone has to be worth something, and you trying to say that the dive was worth just as much as the attempt to injure shows your level of hockey knowledge to me end of story :sarcasm

I am saying that faking an injury is about as wrong as anything even trying to injure someone. They are both very unsportsmanlike and neither should be tolerated.

One final question before you have had it with me. Why hasnt Hockey Canada called for a review of the play? What would they have to lose? Do you think they might know something that you or I dont? Do you think maybe there are other camera angles that show that Johnson missed? Again, I am not disputing the intent nor am I defending Johnson. I am simply saying that Downie overstated it and they both should be condemned.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Is it just me or is all this beginning to sound like the Kennedy assassination? Slo-mo replays. Theories about the head not moving in the direction it should after being struck from a particular direction. Conspiracies about missing camera angles. What's next, Walt Kyle on the grassy knoll?

I'm outta here before Zapgruder shows up with new film.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
One final question before you have had it with me. Why hasnt Hockey Canada called for a review of the play? What would they have to lose? Do you think they might know something that you or I dont? Do you think maybe there are other camera angles that show that Johnson missed? Again, I am not disputing the intent nor am I defending Johnson. I am simply saying that Downie overstated it and they both should be condemned.

No the reason that Hockey Canada would not have called for a review is clearly so they can move forward, if you get a team stuck on something like that it is going to do nothing but harm your team. They will be pressured into answering questions about it, they will be thinking about it, and not concentrating on winning the games.

As for you thinking faking an injury is anywhere even close to the same ballpark as trying to hurt someone you clearly make one heck of a team usa fan because unless incredibly biased you could not have that point of view. I seriously would have liked for this to have been on Kessel to see how your view would have changed.

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
He cut in front of him and came high with the elbow. It wasnt from behind. I am starting to think you didnt even see it.

I am saying that faking an injury is about as wrong as anything even trying to injure someone. They are both very unsportsmanlike and neither should be tolerated.

Downie embelished?? He (Downie) should be condemmed? Thats absurd.

Your position on this issue is becoming laughable. Im done

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Listen, I have been in this thread from the start with you, you clearly have defended Jack Johnson to the furthest possible extent of defending anyone, who are you kidding? are you trying to put on a show for people who havent read the entire thread? because myself as well as many others on this thread know that your opinion on this subject = that of someone who has either never watched hockey before(which blows my mind that you have near 2000 posts) or is incredibly biased for team usa and jack johnson.

Tell me what you believe should have happened here? Should Jack Johnson have got a Match Penalty? Should he have been suspended for the next game/ rest of the tourney?
You tell me.

I havent defended him at all. Go back and read. I was more upset with the overreaction by Downie and all the Team Canada fans.

Personally I would have liked to see IIHF review the play. I dont think a suspension was called for because I dont think he really hit him, but again, I have wanted to see a better camera angle since it happened. If it turns out he really tagged him good than of course he should be suspended, but I dont think he did.

One question to you: After this entire discussion where I have not insulted you once why do you feel the need to continually take personal shots at me because you dont share my opinion?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
Personally I would have liked to see IIHF review the play. I dont think a suspension was called for because I dont think he really hit him, but again, I have wanted to see a better camera angle since it happened. If it turns out he really tagged him good than of course he should be suspended, but I dont think he did.

QUOTE]

So you are saying that Intent has no base at all? you can attempt to Kill someone and have no punishment?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
lennie said:
Downie embelished?? He (Downie) should be condemmed? Thats absurd.

Your position on this issue is becoming laughable. Im done

That seems to be what most people are saying simply because they dont agree with me. I will lump you in the group that doesnt understand the definition of a *discussion* board.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
BobMckenzie said:
If they had suspended Johnson for one game, I wouldn't have screamed because of the intent issue, and I'm surprised the IIHF decided as quickly as they did to do nothing, but as near as I can tell, Johnson's elbow on Downie was a lot more miss than hit. But like I said, you can make a case on an intended head shot.

Personally, I'm glad there's no suspension. I want to see the best teams with their best players in the game, so unless it's Murder One, I say let the boys play. ;)

I suspect, though, that we haven't heard the last of this. :D

Happy New Year, by the way.

Hey Bob, did you and Pierre McGuire fight about this topic all night. He sure as hell seemed upset and even said "Johnson could be gone for the tournament". Thats a big difference from 000000000 games.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
From the TSN article:

"Hockey Canada can ask the IIHF for a review but indicated late Saturday it would not pursue the issue."

Hockey Canada is as bad/good as IIHF if they do not ask for a revue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig