TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The IIHF also dropped the ball when Nash hooked the linesman at the Worlds. I am not going to spend much time worrying about it.If he had have been suspended I would have been fine with it but because he is not I will not by writing letters to the tournament director.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
allcar67 said:
By the way, if Jack Johnson should be thrown out of this tournament, how do you people allow a real criminal like Bertuzzi to represent you on your Olympic team? :dunno:

What crime was Todd Bertuzzi convicted of committing?

I must have missed that on the news.

BCCHL inactive

Bruwinz37 said:
It is hard to give an intent to injure when the player barely makes contact even if it did look bad.

No it's not. You're penalizing the intent, not necessarily the action.

Crosbyfan said:
Hockey Canada is as bad/good as IIHF if they do not ask for a revue.

Not a chance. Why would Hockey Canada want to bring more attention to this instead of concentrating on their semi-final game?

allcar67 said:
You Canadians are really entertaining to read. Do you really think that a player barely grazing another player after being slashed by that player is the same as a player being stalked up and down the ice and nearly killed after the team said that there would be an attack on him like Steve Moore was by Bertuzzi? If so, I'm glad I'm not living in your country under your system of "justice."

By the way, if Jack Johnson should be thrown out of this tournament, how do you people allow a real criminal like Bertuzzi to represent you on your Olympic team? :dunno:

Also, after the garbage that Steve Downie pulled on his junior team, how did your hockey federation even allow him on your national junior team? :dunno:

1. Moore nearly killed? Haha. Good one. Steve Moore was punched out by Bertuzzi, and his neck was broken by the half-ton of men who jumped on him afterward.

2. Todd Bertuzzi is not a criminal. Do some research before you speak.

3. Hockey Canada selected Downie because of his on-ice play. Who gives a rats *** about the COACHING PROBLEMS the Windsor Spitfires had?

Macman

May 15, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
What crime was Todd Bertuzzi convicted of committing?

I must have missed that on the news.

Assault causing bodily harm. He pleaded guilty.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
Are you the same allcar67 who posted on tsn?

Because this makes sense if you are.

Yes, I am.

I enjoy reading other people's views and discussing situations. Canadians' opinions are always entertaining to read.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Matt MacInnis said:
It's unfortunate that this debate is even happening. It should have been a very cut and dry affair.

Jack Johnson attempted to injure a player. Whether or not he actually DID is completely irrelevant. The intent to injure is obvious, I don't think anybody could deny it.

Intent to injure a player is a suspension. JJ should have been suspended.

I agree.

I can't believe there is 6 pages of discussion on this.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
there are other ways to get "payback" for the slash. a flying cheap elbow is not one if them. absoultly disgusting.
Hopefully Downie is allright and hopefully if the 2 teams meet up again we can have a good clean hard fought game again.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Van said:
No it's not. You're penalizing the intent, not necessarily the action.

Not a chance. Why would Hockey Canada want to bring more attention to this instead of concentrating on their semi-final game?

1. Moore nearly killed? Haha. Good one. Steve Moore was punched out by Bertuzzi, and his neck was broken by the half-ton of men who jumped on him afterward.

2. Todd Bertuzzi is not a criminal. Do some research before you speak.

3. Hockey Canada selected Downie because of his on-ice play. Who gives a rats *** about the COACHING PROBLEMS the Windsor Spitfires had?

Why would a half-ton of men jump on him? To save him from being killed by Bertuzzi.

I think it is you who do the research on the Bertuzzi hit. I guess pleading guilty to criminal charges is not something that a criminal would do. Read the attached article: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/bertuzzi/

Didn't the junior incident have to do with the illegal hazing of the team's star rookie?

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
allcar67 said:
Didn't the junior incident have to do with the illegal hazing of the team's star rookie?

Don't particularly want to get into it...but Downie wasn't to blame for the hazing. Downie was involved as the one who fought Aliu. The team hazed their rookies and the coach didn't do anything about it.

What happened with the Spits is not enough reason to not put him on the team.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
gobolt7 said:
This thread has nothing to do with Todd Bertuzzi, lets stay on the topic of Jack Johnson please.

Sorry for my replies. I saw this reply after the others and replied to them before I saw this.

If every elbow was an intent to injure that was deserving of a match penalty and suspension, shouldn't every highsticking penalty be considered the same? Why else would you hit somebody above the shoulders with your weapon if you weren't trying to hurt them?

Highsticking penalties and further punishment are generally handed out based on the injury inflicted. The IIHF appeared to view this elbow the same way.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Macman said:
When a person pleads guilty to a crime, it is also a conviction.

I know but I wanted to give the other person the benefit of the doubt. I was being a little facetious -- I'm very good at that. :sarcasm: ;)

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Pangolin said:
Don't particularly want to get into it...but Downie wasn't to blame for the hazing. Downie was involved as the one who fought Aliu. The team hazed their rookies and the coach didn't do anything about it.

What happened with the Spits is not enough reason to not put him on the team.

Ok. I'll take your word for it. Downie does, however, seem to have a lot of Bobby Clarke in him. He'll instigate something and then duck for cover until a Dave Schultz type comes to protect him. No wonder that Bobby Clarke drafted him.

Macman

May 15, 2004
allcar67 said:
If every elbow was an intent to injure that was deserving of a match penalty and suspension, shouldn't every highsticking penalty be considered the same? Why else would you hit somebody above the shoulders with your weapon if you weren't trying to hurt them?

Highsticking penalties and further punishment are generally handed out based on the injury inflicted. The IIHF appeared to view this elbow the same way.

Many, if not most, highsticks are accidental. Johnson's elbow clearly wasn't. As to why the IIHF didn't review it, who knows? Maybe it takes a formal complaint, I don't know, and Canada didn't file one.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
go kim johnsson 514 said:
http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story/?ID=148998&hubname=

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

And I thought Colin Campbell was passive-aggressive.

IIHF is asking for trouble here.

sounds about fair. Team Canada got away with attacking the entire Norwegian team with 6 seconds left, and one guy was being attacked after he was down. If they turned a blind eye to the Canadians there, it's only fair that Johnson gets the same treatment.

Besides, Downie had it coming. The guys a creep.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
allcar67 said:

Most high sticks are accidental. Those that are not usually draw a severe penalty. It should not be forgotten that Johnson's elbow was delivered in a fit of temper after the play was over. It was not a hockey play. It was a clear and obvious attempt to injure, with no excuse or mitigating circumstances at all.

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
After reading all 10 pages of this . . .entertaining post, I just wanted to say a few things, some of which have already been said.

1) The way in which Downie plays the game shouldn't have anything to do with any punishment to the other guy. If he's been slashing another player all game, he should have been penalized then and there. However, we've clearly seen incidents in which past actions have influenced the officials decision (ie Kovalev and Riberio). Should the way Downie plays be a factor when he goes down? No. Is it a factor? Probably.

2) Who cares how skilled a player is if he starts playing an unskilled game? Jack Johnson is an exceptional defenseman, but is he really that exceptional if his biggest moment in the game was an elbow aimed at someone's head? I guess an analogy would be if a guy like Lidstrom or Niedermyer started playing like Marchment. Yes they are world class players, but if they aren't playing like it, then who wants to watch them.

3) Playing in the WJC IS the chance of a lifetime. It would be a shame to take the experience away from anybody. The question is, does a player who tries to take theat experience away from someone deserve to be there? All rhetoric aside, an elbow to the head has one purpose - to take someone out, be it for the game or longer. Is a player throwing elbows at heads more deserving to play at the WJC than an irritating one? I guess that's up for discussion.

4) The most disturbing thing about the elbow was that it happend after the play, 10 feet away from the puck. Whether or not the hit connected is irrelevant. When the elbow was thrown, the puck was in the net, the play was clearly over, and the game was also arugably decided. I don't think it matters whether or not it fully connected, or if Downie embellished it. It was somthing that wouldn't realistically have affected the outcome of the game, and was clearly something that wasn't in the "heat of the moment."

Downie plays a game that is intended to get under people's skin. I don't personally like it, but until a league decides it's illegal I don't see how it could be used as justification for a deliberate elbow to the head.

The only people that know without a shadow of a doubt why this decision was made are the people that made it. Enough with these conspiracy theories concerning National politics and money. We could argue for months without anyone convincing anyone else.

jaydub*

jj has some messier in him then? iihf overlooks stuff all the time so not really suprised..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad