TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It is really disturbing to think a player could do something like that and serve a total penalty of 33 seconds.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A Lone Wolf said:
que the conspiracy theories now :)

I've already heard some people say Downie deserved it after what happened earlier this year, and I have a feeling this will just be fuel to that fire.

The IIHF could careless about what happens aside from their own tournaments. They just go along with what the leagues do with players

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
I really dont get how they could let this go, regardless of how much contact there was, the intent was there.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bertuzzi all over?

This decision has all the earmarks of the Vancouver vs Colorado game two years ago. You can bet that if all the cards fall into place, and the US and Canada should meet for the finals, then all eyes will be on Johnson. It is not inconceivable that either Canada or the US could take a big lead into the final few minutes of this game.

What will happen then? Do you think that Kyle will have the brains to keep Johnson off of the ice? Do you think that Canada will seek retribution? Or do you think that some lesson will be learned from the Bertuzzi fiasco?

Regardless what happens, I still think that the Bertuzzi situation, and this potential situation, could have been avoided by the league taking a stand against stupid shots to the head. If Moore and or Jackson had received a couple of games suspension, then all the nonsense (or potential nonsense) would have been forgotten. Unfortunately the IIHF has left this grudge open for retribution. I hope that it doesn't happen.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
A Lone Wolf said:
que the conspiracy theories now :)

I've already heard some people say Downie deserved it after what happened earlier this year, and I have a feeling this will just be fuel to that fire.

Did you hear Schremp in interview?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think he should be suspended for at least one game. I love good tough hockey but there was no need for that. Sure, Johnson didn't connect as much as he could have but it was after a goal and the game was over with. He could have seriously injured Steve Downie and I think he deserves at least one game.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
IIHF did an absolutely right thing, JJ should not be suspended. They obviously reviewed the tape and saw what Downey did prior to that. Good decidion (And I am Russia's fan, I would like to face full-roster americans in the semifinal, of course if they get past czechs).

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
If they had suspended Johnson for one game, I wouldn't have screamed because of the intent issue, and I'm surprised the IIHF decided as quickly as they did to do nothing, but as near as I can tell, Johnson's elbow on Downie was a lot more miss than hit. But like I said, you can make a case on an intended head shot.

Personally, I'm glad there's no suspension. I want to see the best teams with their best players in the game, so unless it's Murder One, I say let the boys play. ;)

I suspect, though, that we haven't heard the last of this. :D

Happy New Year, by the way.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
BobMckenzie said:
If they had suspended Johnson for one game, I wouldn't have screamed because of the intent issue, and I'm surprised the IIHF decided as quickly as they did to do nothing, but as near as I can tell, Johnson's elbow on Downie was a lot more miss than hit. But like I said, you can make a case on an intended head shot.

Personally, I'm glad there's no suspension. I want to see the best teams with their best players in the game, so unless it's Murder One, I say let the boys play. ;)

I suspect, though, that we haven't heard the last of this. :D

Happy New Year, by the way.

Exactly, it wasn't like it was a repeat of the Bertuzzi incident. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
canucksfan said:
I think he should be suspended for at least one game. I love good tough hockey but there was no need for that. Sure, Johnson didn't connect as much as he could have but it was after a goal and the game was over with. He could have seriously injured Steve Downie and I think he deserves at least one game.
I am 50/50 on this, from what I heard Downie gave JJ a pretty good slash prior which went uncalled (could have given the US a chance to score maybe? Very least it would prevent the EN goal)..""you live by the cheapshots..you die by the cheapshots"". That being said I wouldn't have complained if JJ got a game suspension for it, only because it was at the end of the game and getting a major with 10 seconds left in the game wouldn't really be a punishment. If Downie sustained a concussion on it then the IIHF really dropped the ball by not suspending the kid, they should have waited 24 hours at least before making such an decision.

All I can say is...I will be tuning into the first Philly vs Canes game when both players are in the line. :D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Siberian said:
IIHF did an absolutely right thing, JJ should not be suspended. They obviously reviewed the tape and saw what Downey did prior to that. Good decidion (And I am Russia's fan, I would like to face full-roster americans in the semifinal, of course if they get past czechs).

You could not be more wrong. All players are responsible for their own actions. The logic seen here can be used in a pee-wee tournament of 6 year olds. You're basically saying that since Downie was hacking at Jack Johnson all night, that Johnson was inclined to cheap shot Downie after a play that was now over. This is a U-20 tourney, not a special olympics tourney. While there could be other unforseen reasons as to why there is no suspension. However...this....this is just inane...

I did not see Jack Johnson sprawled out on the ice because Downie laid him out with a flying elbow. The last time i saw such a blatant elbow shot, it was Monday Night Raw.

Second, they do not base their decision based on prior events in the game. They hand out suspensions based on the player's reactions. If they thought Downie was the problem they would just suspend both of them.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Siberian said:
What did Downie do to Jackson that was so bad? The slash was a tap. Sure he hit him all game but that's part of the game.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
2 sides...

Downie slashed Johnson at least twice on this play, it was obvious that he was trying to instigate something...well after the empty netter was a fait acompli..Downie asked for it, and he got it.

That being said, Johnson should certainly be suspended for a vicious elbow to the head of Downie.

djtino224

May 12, 2005
Long Island
Coming from a US fan, I'm actually surprised JJ didn't receive some sort of suspension for that elbow. It looked pretty nasty.

hillbilly

Nov 12, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks Downie looked to be embellishing a bit. The ONLY reason I say this is because of how he fell. The angle he fell at was a bit odd if he'd been hit as hard as we are to believe he was hit.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Um I could be wrong, but I have watched the clip a few times.

But didn't it go:

JJ slashed Downie, Downie slashed JJ, then the JJ elbow attempt.

I am pretty sure it wasn't just Downie doing some stick work on that play.

Though, the IIHF didn't suspend him... okay... lets move on.... though I am pretty sure Downie is gonna have a long memory on this one.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
hillbilly said:
Am I the only one that thinks Downie looked to be embellishing a bit. The ONLY reason I say this is because of how he fell. The angle he fell at was a bit odd if he'd been hit as hard as we are to believe he was hit.
I can't see Downie embellishing that. He wasn't expecting it and Downie is not a type of player that embellishes a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->