TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Serious question here, does anyone actually enjoy listening to Chris Nilan? Can’t they not find anyone better than him?

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
not so serious answer..i do

and yes they could, there's always a better somewhere

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
Sadly, my experience with sports radio (and sports fandom in general) has been forever altered by Dan LeBatard and his sensibilities. Totally takes a flamethrower to conventional sports radio and makes it totally unlistenable. The only segment of Montreal sports radio I still enjoy tremendously is the 5PM McGuire segment on Melnick's show, and that's just cause I'm a sports dork and like his information, the entertainment value isn't really up to par with the nonsense that LeBatard and Stugotz put out there on a daily basis.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
At this point, one’s gotta realize how everything is blown up times 1000 in Montreal.

We get blown off a few games = clean the house. Win two games = cup contenders.

you're right about the 1000 times blown up, but we hear a lot more ''clean the house'' than ''cup contenders'' recently :laugh:

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
The flood gates have opened regarding the Sexual Harassment stuff .

Seems like there is a few people every week getting fired everywhere

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I heard Pierre McGuire last week on his TSN690 segment with Melnick say a couple of times that Thomas Chabot should be in the Sens lineup. After scoring 1 goal and 2 assists in the Sens win last night I expect a few McGuire reminders of "I told ya so" and slapping himself on the back during his upcoming Monday segment with Melnick. Pierre really does love driving home the "I told ya so" when he gets something right.

After I listen Monday I'll likely be back with my own Pierre impersonation of "I told ya so" after he brings up Chabot again. :)

Reactions: 417 and habdynasty

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had the radio on 690 and it was basically background noise until I heard Gallo come in, acting like his usual pompous irritating self-important self and peddling his pillow. I stomached it but then they started to replay the word "scored" from Dan Robertson's goal calls from this past Saturdays 10-1 win -- and both Gallo and Campbell thought it was a great idea. They weren't even playing the whole goal calls, just the word "scored", a highly annoying and unimaginative audio splice replayed 10 times over. There is no end to how low these guys can sink.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Had the radio on 690 and it was basically background noise until I heard Gallo come in, acting like his usual pompous irritating self-important self and peddling his pillow. I stomached it but then they started to replay the word "scored" from Dan Robertson's goal calls from this past Saturdays 10-1 win -- and both Gallo and Campbell thought it was a great idea. They weren't even playing the whole goal calls, just the word "scored", a highly annoying and unimaginative audio splice replayed 10 times over. There is no end to how low these guys can sink.

I heard that as well and it was very irritating to listen too. I turned 690 off for now until Melnick's show starts. The goal call sounded like Joe Bowen (Leafs homer play by play guy) and not Dan Robertson to me though.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I heard that as well and it was very irritating to listen too. I turned 690 off for now until Melnick's show starts. The goal call sounded like Joe Bowen (Leafs homer play by play guy) and not Dan Robertson to me though.

Why would they play Bowen's goal calls? Are you suggesting they just had that in their audio bank and used it as a replacement? That's even worse than I thought, if it's the case, lol.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Why would they play Bowen's goal calls? Are you suggesting they just had that in their audio bank and used it as a replacement? That's even worse than I thought, if it's the case, lol.

I don't know but it did sound like Joe Bowen to me. :dunno: Maybe it was just irritating me so much that I thought it was Bowen since his goal calls also irritate me like no other NHL play by play guy does. :)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, they are all awful in my mind, especially Nilan and his awful attempts at humour etc. I turned off 690 in the office now, couldn't handle the same commercials over and over again, had enough of Tony teasing news that isn't a secret as well, and his irritating segments. Nilan is the perfect example of that dumb bully in school, that never understood when people were laughing at him, and not with him.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
What's up with the personalities at 690 complaining about how much money they earn? Nilan did it today and that's probably the 10th time I've heard it from him, but he's not alone. They all either bluntly say it or make sarcastic quips from time to time. I find it maddening. You talk about sports for a living. None of you are even particularly good at it, save for Melnyck. It's wildly unprofessional. I don't see how their bosses allow it. And do they not realize they 95% of their listeners are Joe sportsfan working whatever job wishing they could be in their shoes. Really ungrateful.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
What's up with the personalities at 690 complaining about how much money they earn? Nilan did it today and that's probably the 10th time I've heard it from him, but he's not alone. They all either bluntly say it or make sarcastic quips from time to time. I find it maddening. You talk about sports for a living. None of you are even particularly good at it, save for Melnyck. It's wildly unprofessional. I don't see how their bosses allow it. And do they not realize they 95% of their listeners are Joe sportsfan working whatever job wishing they could be in their shoes. Really ungrateful.
I am surprised they get paid in the first place. Whenever I turn it on, it is always Amateur Hour on 690.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Its a hacky radio bit all radio personalities do.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am surprised they get paid in the first place. Whenever I turn it on, it is always Amateur Hour on 690.

Most of them skipped a badly-needed 5 year stint at Kalamazoo radio. They'd come back a lot wiser and much more humble. Too many of them know so little of the outside world, they're just too brash and self-assured, as if they're beyond their audience. What a turn off.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I’m assuming Nilan makes more per dime doing the old timers games because he drops radio at a moments notice for that.

Yes, there is a charity component to those games but the players don’t do them for free.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

That was what Craig Ferguson did on the Late Late Show. Difference being it was actually funny when he did it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That was what Craig Ferguson did on the Late Late Show. Difference being it was actually funny when he did it.

Used to love Craig Ferguson's late night show. He was a master at using self-deprecating humor.

Sadly, our radio reality when Nilan is on, is at a whole other level.

Take today's show. Campbell the bland milquetoast asks him what he thinks about the Russians not being able to compete at the Olympics under their flag. So here comes Nilan with "Uh, oh, errr, here's the thing, here's the ..." and as he's saying that, you hear the sound of something he's crushing between his teeth. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad