TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He sounded angry today I've never heard him as angry as he was today. He sounded different and I'm wondering if he knows something. I mean the guy does have his connections around the league

Yeah a lot of people crap on McGuire but the guy does know what's going on around the NHL. Anyway here's audio of McGuire's TSN690 segment from today.

McGuire: Drouin is wasted at center

The Ferraro audio I posted above from yesterday was one of the best segments I've heard on TSN690 in quite a while. The guy just told it like it is and didn't hold back.

Reactions: Runner77

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
McGuire campaigning lol....... But he's right on all accounts lol.
He's spot on when it comes to what the org. has been doing wrong, he knows the current reality of the NHL and how drafting is the backbone of a team.

My only problem is, it's Pierre McGuire.

Reactions: Pickles

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
He sounded angry today I've never heard him as angry as he was today. He sounded different and I'm wondering if he knows something. I mean the guy does have his connections around the league

Likewise McGuire, 49, who was an assistant coach on Pittsburgh’s Cup winners in the early 1990s, is a long-shot given he hasn’t worked in hockey operations since 1997. He knows everyone in hockey and is a good friend of Molson’s, both are alums of St. Lawrence College and their sons played minor hockey together, but friendship isn’t a qualification.

Handicapping the Habs GM candidates

Reactions: Pickles

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
He's spot on when it comes to what the org. has been doing wrong, he knows the current reality of the NHL and how drafting is the backbone of a team.

I'm not sure how seriously the other GMs would take him lol

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I'm not sure how seriously the other GMs would take him lol

Pretty serious considering most are well aware of his hockey network and knowledge.

Im not saying give him the GM title tomorrow,but lets not confuse radio and tv personality McGuire with possible GM McGuire. All media people exaggerate and dramatize their opinions for ratings. He is no exception.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's not like Pierre could be worse than Bergevin, or Gauthier or Gainey. Let's be honest here, there's only one way to go and that's up.

I'd give him a chance to finish the year and see how it goes. Yeah, fans will take heat on this site; but who cares.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Yeah a lot of people crap on McGuire but the guy does know what's going on around the NHL. Anyway here's audio of McGuire's TSN690 segment from today.

McGuire: Drouin is wasted at center

The Ferraro audio I posted above from yesterday was one of the best segments I've heard on TSN690 in quite a while. The guy just told it like it is and didn't hold back.

yea sometimes when i hear him talk he does seem to overhype some players but overall he sounds like he knows todays hockey and what it takes to build a team...he knows this team needs a painful rebuild...hope he is the man to rebuild this team...

Lets see if Molson finally gets his head out of his own anus to hire the person he should have hired in the first place...

At least Mcguire doesnt seem to be a stubborn mule and accepts when he is wrong...which cannot be said about bergevin...

Stubborn mules are a thing of the past..

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Do you guys actually like Nilan as a host?
He gets guests on there that no one else would, he is well respected by many in hockey.

He`s open, honest and humble...He`s not afraid to speak his mind.

Could do without the singing and the hee haws but I often listen.

Reactions: sheed36

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I'd like him being communication, spokesperson, PR guy for the team. I don't trust him as President or GM.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Pierre McGuire as our GM?

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.
MB has become so awful, people are actually ready to give Peanut a try? Wow...the guy is a cartoon character, with a microphone...come on guys, really? He has been a media guy for what, 20 yrs now? Longer? In 05 he wanted Brule, and said the Habs should not have selected Price...and you guys think MB has a tough time, with evaluating talent...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
No to Pierre McGuire. Can't be worse than MB ? Maybe, maybe not. But I would prefer not wasting more years away.

We had Houle in 1995, a disaster. We had Andre Savard, maybe too bad he did not have more time in the role. then BG, who for sure did some very good things but there was also a lot of bad. Did hand off a pretty good core. The Goat, brief , guy was not stupid but too weird to run the team. Then MB. So 22 years later.

417 has spoken of there possibly being a benefit of having someone who has 0 connections historically with the Habs . I see it also. From my perspective we have this D first culture that causes us to hire this endless line of D 1st coaches who cannot properly deal with young offensive guys of today and constantly get in their way. Maybe after 22 years we should try something different so that there is no issue of a guy like Chucky being played at centre as an example. Or where we would be the team looking to acquire a PK, not trade him away as another example. Our coaches just cant handle offensive minded guys doing their stuff on the ice because it is too out of control for them, too risky etc. As a side note, it would be a lot more fun to watch games. Lets have an organization trying to win, not trying not to lose.

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
In 05 he wanted Brule, and said the Habs should not have selected Price...and you guys think MB has a tough time, with evaluating talent...

Actually, he thought they should have taken Anze Kopitar with that draft choice as it addressed a long standing franchise need (a true #1 center). Based on where the Habs are now, he was right.

He also went nuts when they moved Ryan McDonagh for Gomez, wasn't happy with the Subban trade to name a few. I don't know if he'd be a good GM, but he's been pretty much on the mark assessing most of the Habs moves or lack there of for many years.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Actually, he thought they should have taken Anze Kopitar with that draft choice as it addressed a long standing franchise need (a true #1 center). Based on where the Habs are now, he was right.

He also went nuts when they moved Ryan McDonagh for Gomez, wasn't happy with the Subban trade to name a few. I don't know if he'd be a good GM, but he's been pretty much on the mark assessing most of the Habs moves or lack there of for many years.

Not forget he went nuts when they traded the stud D and got Drouin...i guess he was right, so far...

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I wanted McGuire as GM in 2012, I don't get the hate for him. What the heck did he do in Pitt and/or Hartford to get blacklisted?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Andre Savard wanted Kopitar...............Mcguire was gushing over Brule...anyhow, the guy is not GM material what so ever....there is a reason he has never been put back in the league, as a coach or GM.

He seems perfect for a media type of guy, blowing alot of hot air most days...

Mtl01

Feb 9, 2008
Montreal
Andre Savard wanted Kopitar...............Mcguire was gushing over Brule...anyhow, the guy is not GM material what so ever....there is a reason he has never been put back in the league, as a coach or GM.

He seems perfect for a media type of guy, blowing alot of hot air most days...

He does blow a lot of hot air at times. I listen to him on Mitch Melnick every night and he strikes me as being fairly on target more often than not. Don't know if that would translate to being a good GM but I'm pretty sure he would represent an improvement on what is currently in place.

Reactions: FlatIron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad