TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
They cut the spanish "mexican" talking about carlos and pepe's because someone complained it was racist. To be fair they did put it on quite a bit.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
They cut the spanish "mexican" talking about carlos and pepe's because someone complained it was racist. To be fair they did put it on quite a bit.

Same thing with those godawful La Prep commercials about Napoleon. The accent isn't even french. The guy sounds like he's attempting a Scottish accent.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One of the most awfully produced commercials has to be their "Cablatel" spot. They only say the company's name in this electronically-synthesized voice, you can't readily make the name out. Comes across warbled, like "scharbashel". I can't believe the company agreed to that.

Reactions: Inkling and JJ68

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Same thing with those godawful La Prep commercials about Napoleon. The accent isn't even french. The guy sounds like he's attempting a Scottish accent.

You mean like parched-mouth Trump saying "unitched schtaytch" the other day.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
One of the most awfully produced commercials has to be their "Cablatel" spot. They only say the company's name in this electronically-synthesized voice, you can't readily make the name out. Comes across warbled, like "scharbashel". I can't believe the company agreed to that.

lol me and the wife mock it all the time. I finally figured out what they were saying after Melnick finally brought it up this past week.

Reactions: Runner77

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
I heard it and was like how is this allowed on air, with those ridiculous fake Mexicans and especially without a license (I'm assuming) for that Cypress Hill song.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What a contrast this morning between 690 and 91.9 FM. Marinaro was replaced by who else, Sean Campbell, who both sleeps at the station and induces sleep. Campbell opened the show talking to himself and trying to put a positive spin on the Habs. Always the same garbage, doesn't rock the boat -- his ultimate goal is to replace Dan Robertson to broadcast Habs's games. I could barely take 5 minutes.

Switched to 91.9 FM and they've been on fire. Delorme calling Molson and Bergevin to task, not mincing words. Fan anger is palpable, call after call, asking for change, for something to get done. It reminds a little of what call-in shows used to be like in the days of CKAC and CJMS. It's raw and it sounds real.

Reactions: Pickles

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I was listening to TSN690 at about 11:15 ish. It dawned on me that I played hockey with one of the newer guys at the station, John Still. Though we called him Johnny :laugh:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The morning show nailed it this morning, saying what a number of us have been saying for a long time.

The root problem with the Habs is the organizational drafting and development record since a long, long time.

For the Habs to really progress, it has to improve big time.

Reactions: Pickles

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The morning show nailed it this morning, saying what a number of us have been saying for a long time.

The root problem with the Habs is the organizational drafting and development record since a long, long time.

For the Habs to really progress, it has to get improve big time.

This organization has been bottom 5 at developing players for a long time and nothing has happened. Honestly, 11M in cap space and they still cheap out on something that has no cap. Coaches and scouts.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
This organization has been bottom 5 at developing players for a long time and nothing has happened. Honestly, 11M in cap space and they still cheap out on something that has no cap. Coaches and scouts.
The players are certainly held to a standard of performance.

That needs to apply throughout the organization, if the goal is to be a top team.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Social Justice Warriors everywhere. Will Giuseppe pizza be next? What a punch of pansies in today's world.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Wasn't it Carlos and Pepe talking about their own restaurant?

Imagine if it was really them (and their voices) :laugh:

But honestly the ad was indeed dumb and was quite offensive

RandR

May 15, 2011
Winning the Atlantic Division title 3 times and going to the conference finals once in the last 5 years meant the team drafted 25th or later in 4 of the past 5 years. That certainly makes the first round and 2nd round picks more of a hit and miss compared to teams picking top 10 and even 10-20, plus most of these 18-year olds need 3 years to develop.

However, those reasons aren't enough to justify Lefebvre and the rest having so little to show these past few years. After negotiating contracts (where he is terrible), I'd say player development is where Bergevin is most weak.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Wasn't it Carlos and Pepe talking about their own restaurant?

Imagine if it was really them (and their voices) :laugh:

But honestly the ad was indeed dumb and was quite offensive

I highly doubt that since the owners of Carlos and Pepe's aren't named Carlos or Pepe and I know for certain they are not latino. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I highly doubt that since the owners of Carlos and Pepe's aren't named Carlos or Pepe and I know for certain they are not latino. :laugh:

You are correct. A simple online search shows that it's a numbered corporation that is run by individuals of Greek origin. So much for that theory, lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am correct because I know of the owners. My dad has had business dealings with them :laugh:

There is no doubt about it, good Sir. They not only own it as a corporate name but have also registered it as a trade mark. They're heavily invested in the name, hence the radio ad bombardment.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
There is no doubt about it, good Sir. They not only own it as a corporate name but have also registered it as a trade mark. They're heavily invested in the name, hence the radio ad bombardment.

It's a company called Foodtastic. They own Souvlaki Bar, C and P, Belle et la boeuf, Vinnie Gambini's and a few other brands. I am not 100 percent sure if they still do but they owned Moomba's in Laval. They also used to own Baton Rouge, Scores and Mike's but they sold it all about 10 years ago.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a company called Foodtastic. They own Souvlaki Bar, C and P, Belle et la boeuf, Vinnie Gambini's and a few other brands. I am not 100 percent sure if they still do but they owned Moomba's in Laval. They also used to own Baton Rouge, Scores and Mike's but they sold it all about 10 years ago.

Foodstatic owns the trade mark. Not surprisingly, they run it as a franchise business.

Good on them, they've been good corporate citizens, contributing to a local sports station's bottom line.

Now if they could only use their advertiser influence to get the likes of Gallo fired, I will become a client. :laugh:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Foodstatic owns the trade mark. Not surprisingly, they run it as a franchise business.

Good on them, they've been good corporate citizens, contributing to a local sports station's bottom line.

Now if they could only use their advertiser influence to get the likes of Gallo fired, I will become a client. :laugh:

:laugh:

Gallo should be easy enough. Campbell might be a little difficult seeing as they would have to find a replacement who can cover 24 hour shifts.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:laugh:

Gallo should be easy enough. Campbell might be a little difficult seeing as they would have to find a replacement who can cover 24 hour shifts.

Yeah, Campbell doubles up as both a security guard and as a sedative. He's the perfect complement to Gallo's pillows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad