TSN 690 interview with Marc Bergevin

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Great interview. Was a good listen. Found it pretty funny the way these guys word their questions and the tone they use really got Bergevin edgy. His answers were so snappy sometimes and showed some frustration.

You have to know your market.

It used to be very similar here in Toronto - the Leafs and their media used to have a very antagonistic relationship with one another.

But that's changed recently - you don't get the flaming come backs or the sarcastic questions or the harsh tones anymore, because it's all managed far more professionally.

Reactions: MattySnipes

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I'm the first one saying Bergevin did one too many mistakes, but he did just fine in this interview. Melnick laughing at the end was a lack of respect. Talking about Staal? Turris? why don't you add William Karlsson and many others that nobody could have guessed while at it?

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
They weren’t exactly saying he should have signed Eric Staal. They asked Bergevin about acquiring a center, and Bergevin made an excuse about how centers are hard to get. Bergevin asked for some examples of teams acquiring centers and the radio guys started giving him a list.

Besides, as a Rangers fan, I saw plenty of people say that a Eric Staal isn’t done, even though he wasn’t good for us (mainly due to AV being ass cancer). A good talent evaluator could have seen that Eric Staal had more to give, and considering how cheap his contract was, how could they not give him a shot given what they had down the middle? It’s not like he signed a lucrative 6 year deal, he signed an extremely affordable 3 year deal. It’d be a fair deal even if he was a just 20-20 guy, which would still make him the Habs best center btw.
I'm not defending Bergevin, he's made some horrible moves, hasn't drafted well. But he is correct that going out and getting a #1 center from another team is close to impossible. Maybe the Sergachev trade would have been the best chance, but what center could he have gotten?
Not many guys bounce back like Staal did after some down years at his age. Had Bergevin signed Staal a year ago as the solution to their center problems people would have absolutely roasted him. Now they're roasting him because he didn't.
I'm not defending Bergevin, these guys could have used plenty of examples of his failures, just think it's hilarious they attacked him for not signing Staal.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm the first one saying Bergevin did one too many mistakes, but he did just fine in this interview. Melnick laughing at the end was a lack of respect. Talking about Staal? Turris? why don't you add William Karlsson and many others that nobody could have guessed while at it?

I didn't like the laughing either, now that you mention it - very smug and disrespectful. Maybe it wasn't the Habs, but the radio station that pulled the interview for that reaason?

The explanations for centers is irrelevant though - plenty of centers have either moved, been drafted, or signed as free agents, since he started in Montreal. He hasn't improved that aspect of the club, and that falls on no one but himself.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

What? Nobody guessed on Staal, Turris and Karlsson? Minnesota, Nashville and LVGK did! That's why they are in the playoffs and the Montreal Canadiens are one of the worst teams in the league. Bergevin has not been able to get this team a SINGLE centerman in SIX YEARS! Nashville got 3 in one year. That's what good teams do. No excuses.

void

Jan 5, 2006

We've had to deal with this imbecile for 6 years. I don't blame Melnick for not showing him any respect. He destroyed the team and it's going to take years to repair his mess.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

It used to be very similar here in Toronto - the Leafs and their media used to have a very antagonistic relationship with one another.

But that's changed recently - you don't get the flaming come backs or the sarcastic questions or the harsh tones anymore, because it's all managed far more professionally.

Pretty sure that change was a result of better on-ice results. Things were frosty between the old Leafs and the same media because the media needed a whipping boy and would bounce from Phaneuf, to Kessel, to Reimer, and then back to Kessel. Wash, rinse, repeat. It got tiresome, especially for the players I'll bet.

Hacks like Steve Simmons and Dave Feschuk would take potshots at Leafs players in hopes that the scores of frustrated fans in the city would take their side and voice similar displeasure with how the season was going.

Now the team is revamped, retooled and improved, and those same members of the media can't stop themselves from fawning over the new-look Leafs. I'm willing to bet the few who have been here long enough (Kadri, Gardiner, etc) noticed the difference during media scrums and in the news.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
hilarious quote right here:

Mitch: Did you have to convince Jeff Moulson..did you have to sell yourself to remain as the GM? Or..are..just how did this come about here at the end?

MB: I mean listen...the way we operate..like i come to work everyday, until i'm told otherwise i come to work everyday.

Mitch: (sarcastic laughter)...Alright, we wish you the best in getting this team back on where...- you know how angry the fans are right..?

MB: 100%

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Montréal media throwing punches at Bergevin has only started happening very recently. Over the last year or so at most. Fans have been calling for his head a lot longer than that, but before that the media were in full blown PR mode.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pretty sure that change was a result of better on-ice results. Things were frosty between the old Leafs and the same media because the media needed a whipping boy and would bounce from Phaneuf, to Kessel, to Reimer, and then back to Kessel. Wash, rinse, repeat. It got tiresome, especially for the players I'll bet.

Hacks like Steve Simmons and Dave Feschuk would take potshots at Leafs players in hopes that the scores of frustrated fans in the city would take their side and voice similar displeasure with how the season was going.

Now the team is revamped, retooled and improved, and those same members of the media can't stop themselves from fawning over the new-look Leafs. I'm willing to bet the few who have been here long enough (Kadri, Gardiner, etc) noticed the difference during media scrums and in the news.

Oh absolutely - on ice performance does matter.

But if you look at the demeanor and the way this current group (players and management) answer media questions, it's very different.

Steve Simmons barely gets into scrums anymore, and when he does, most just brush away his questions with simple answers - that's a far cry from eras past with Simmons, when his questions were met with snappy or sarcastic replies, or in some extreme cases (Brian Burke) just rude responses.

If there's sharks in the water, you don't tip your toe in when it's bleeding.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Montréal media throwing punches at Bergevin has only started happening very recently. Over the last year or so at most. Fans have been calling for his head a lot longer than that, but before that the media were in full blown PR mode.

Perhaps.

But on a more general level, Montreal media are pretty ruthless when it comes to their hockey team, and have been that way since forever.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Yeah man that was unbelievable. That laugh from Mitch man... may sound disrespectful as some peoples have said but man what do you want him to do?! This answers .. :loony:
Exactly. Such typical, cliché answers from MB. It's horrible. He really doesn't care about the fan base. I don't know why Moulson continuously brings on Francophone management and coaches who are clearly not able to do the job correctly. I can guarantee fans couldn't care less about whether their management can communicate with them in their first language, all they care about is their Montréal Canadiens being able to win games and have a competitive team they can be proud about.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Perhaps.

But on a more general level, Montreal media are pretty ruthless when it comes to their hockey team, and have been that way since forever.

They're typically ruthless with the players they choose to be at odds with. Recently, you had Subban, Galchenyuk or even Eller fall into that category.

But the job requirements being what they are in Montréal for the GM/Head coach job, and the fact the hockey world is a very small world, especially if you limit yourself to the French Canadian portion of it, you end up with a bunch of buddies occupying various positions within the organizations and in the media.

Therrien was literally a recurrent guest on RDS talk-shows before getting the coaching job with the Habs. After he got hired, to no one's surprise, his past co-hosts didn't tend to side against him, no matter how stupid some of his decisions tended to be. Instead, you had them side with the coach and the organization, and whoever Therrien was at odds with ended up being public enemy #1 in the papers by default, even if a large portion of the fan base may have disagreed completely with the idea to begin with.

The bad press Bergevin is getting right now is really out of the ordinary by Montréal standards. Even Gauthier didn't get as much shit back in the days.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They're typically ruthless with the players they choose to be at odds with. Recently, you had Subban, Galchenyuk or even Eller fall into that category.

But the job requirements being what they are in Montréal for the GM/Head coach job, and the fact the hockey world is a very small world, especially if you limit yourself to the French Canadian portion of it, you end up with a bunch of buddies occupying various positions within the organizations and in the media.

Therrien was literally a recurrent guest on RDS talk-shows before getting the coaching job with the Habs. After he got hired, to no one's surprise, his past co-hosts didn't tend to side against him, no matter how stupid some of his decisions tended to be. Instead, you had them side with the coach and the organization, and whoever Therrien was at odds with ended up being public enemy #1 in the papers by default, even if a large portion of the fan base may have disagreed completely with the idea to begin with.

The bad press Bergevin is getting right now is really out of the ordinary by Montréal standards. Even Gauthier didn't get as much **** back in the days.

Appreciate this post - I won't pretend to know all the ins-ands-outs of the Montreal media, so I'll definitely defer to you. It's interesting that it's worse with Bergevin.

Is it with good reason though? Or is it all over the top? It's been a really poor 12 months for that organization and he's at the top

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
What? Nobody guessed on Staal, Turris and Karlsson? Minnesota, Nashville and LVGK did! That's why they are in the playoffs and the Montreal Canadiens are one of the worst teams in the league. Bergevin has not been able to get this team a SINGLE centerman in SIX YEARS! Nashville got 3 in one year. That's what good teams do. No excuses.

Yeah right, people in Montreal would not be happy with Turris anyway. They would be calling him a 3rd line centre. Puts up same #s as Plekanec who was always a source of angst and complaint.

Calling the Staal & Karlsson breakouts as mistakes is 20/20 hindsight, armchair GM'ing.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Appreciate this post - I won't pretend to know all the ins-ands-outs of the Montreal media, so I'll definitely defer to you. It's interesting that it's worse with Bergevin.

Is it with good reason though? Or is it all over the top? It's been a really poor 12 months for that organization and he's at the top

I personally think it's long overdue. Bergevin made a good first impression because he had some charisma and looked a lot more genuine than Gauthier who looked borderline creepy before him. It was a breath of fresh air, and even among fans he was one of the top candidate for the GM job at the time, so it was sort of an unanimous call. He seemed confident and he was coming out of Chicago, so people just figured he knew what he was doing.

But the more the pressure has built on, the less he could keep up the façade. The first time I recall he was at odds with a large portion of the fan base was the first contractual dispute with Subban where he forced him into a bridge deal which eventually came back to bite him in the ass - to no one's surprise.

But what really made him fall out of favor with the fan base is his over-commitment to Therrien, and by repercussion the fact the organization as a whole decided to favor a guy like Desharnais on the organizational depth chart instead of developing guys like Galchenyuk and Eller. That was the first big crack in the foundation. The Subban trade is what made a lot of people completely jump ship. That's when a lot of people realized he had no idea what he was doing. Not long before that you had the Shaw trade in spite of the fact he claimed multiple times he wanted to build this team through the draft, and the contract that followed shortly after was even worst than the trade in and of itself. And as people started calling him out, you quickly say the charisma and the confidence fade, and we were left with some kind of insecure narcissist that never really managed to own his mistakes. How ironic that this team's motto used to be "no excuses" when Therrien first came on board. The fact they started to pull excuses one after the other to explain whatever would ill the team at a given time ended up being such a comedy source that they had to get rid of the motto altogether. No joke, that actually happened.

The end result being, you have a guy here that took a team that had a 25 years old Carey Price, 23 years old Subban, Pacioretty and Eller, 20 years old Gallagher, 19 years old Beaulieu, a 3rd overall pick, and a decent amount of solid players in their prime like Plekanec, Markov, Cole, Gionta. The mission at that point was a fairly simple one. Find/develop a #1 center and surround your three young studs so that 5 years down the line you have a team that can hope to compete for a cup. Bergevin however never really had anything close to a long term plan and we find ourselves in the situation we're in today. We should be peaking right now and instead we're looking at a second lottery pick in 3 years. Our then young core is now in its 30s and won't hold up forever and after saying all these years he wanted us to build through the draft, we're currently sitting with one of the absolute worst prospect pool in the entire league.

So yeah, I do think it's with good reason. He managed to spoil the best young core this team had to work with in years, and he can thank Price for keeping up the appearances that this was a solid team for even a couple years, because even when we were winning division titles, everyone knew the team as a whole didn't play at that level. Bergevin didn't, though.

Last edited:

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
If that removal was really pressured by Montreal, man, add that to the list of things why their organization is concidered being stuck in the past. Talk about Streisand effect. Shit like that ain't gonna fly in the social media age.

Ps. Bergevin is even bigger idiot than I thought he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad