TSN 690 interview with Marc Bergevin

void

Jan 5, 2006
Basically, Mitch Melnick absolutely roasted Marc Bergevin in their interview the other day and now the clip has mysteriously disappeared from their website. Rod Francis' (the show's producer) tweet made it very clear that they were forced to remove it.

This isn't the first time that the Habs pull a stunt like this but what makes it even more pathetic is that this comes just days after Geoff Molson promised the fans and media that they'd be more transparent and open with everyone.

The interview can still be heard here:

[

I'd recommend listening to it ASAP before the Habs get to it.

UPDATE: Interview is back up on TSN 690. Hmmm... I wonder what happened.

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Are the Habs just too cheap to replace Bergevin? Molson seems like a terrible owner at times. Times like this, I am happy the Leafs are owned by a faceless corporation.

Yes. Molson extended Bergevin until 2021-22 when Bergevin still had 2 years left on his contract. Not even Stan Bowman got that kind of extension.

Bergevin also created a country club for all of his buddies with one of the most expensive (and incompetent) scouting and coaching staffs in the league that would also all need to be fired. Molson is looking at a loss of 40 million dollars when all is said and done.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
What's that old saying about controlling the media and having power or something? I don't remember. But this is some silly drama here.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Are the Habs just too cheap to replace Bergevin? Molson seems like a terrible owner at times. Times like this, I am happy the Leafs are owned by a faceless corporation.

Bergevin has a lot of term left on his contract and he's one of the higher paid GMs. Its probably not cheapness, but rather a mix of undeserved faith and sunk cost fallacy.

Geoff Molson isn't personally or beneficially the full owner of the Habs. He leads a consortium that has a majority stake in the Habs.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
For clarity sake, we can't be certain that it was the Canadiens that forced the interview to be taken down. It may have been Bell as well. But considering we're on day 2 of the "transparency" era of the Habs, its pretty funny.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

I can't imagine

Both Habs and Leafs have "print your own money" wealth. They just need to get the damn politics out of the way.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Honestly, I think Bergevin came across as more reasonable in the interview than the radio guys. What was their solution, he should have signed Eric Staal? I doubt these radio guys would have been suggesting that a year ago.

or maybe instead of trading a big trade chip for a winger and then forcing him into center, he should've used it on a center.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Honestly, I think Bergevin came across as more reasonable in the interview than the radio guys. What was their solution, he should have signed Eric Staal? I doubt these radio guys would have been suggesting that a year ago.
They weren’t exactly saying he should have signed Eric Staal. They asked Bergevin about acquiring a center, and Bergevin made an excuse about how centers are hard to get. Bergevin asked for some examples of teams acquiring centers and the radio guys started giving him a list.

Besides, as a Rangers fan, I saw plenty of people say that a Eric Staal isn’t done, even though he wasn’t good for us (mainly due to AV being ass cancer). A good talent evaluator could have seen that Eric Staal had more to give, and considering how cheap his contract was, how could they not give him a shot given what they had down the middle? It’s not like he signed a lucrative 6 year deal, he signed an extremely affordable 3 year deal. It’d be a fair deal even if he was a just 20-20 guy, which would still make him the Habs best center btw.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
TSN Bell Media would have made the decision to delete content .
Did Geoff Molson make the request ?
If not then the talent on TSN690 should be nervous because then its Bell Media taking this step on their own making the decision to limit negative content . That McKenna , Marinaro , Melnick fill their shows with.

Last edited:
Reactions: DXStriker

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Yea, it's easy to say that after Staal is good again. Bergevin is on the hot seat, he needs to put a good team together or he's out in a year from now.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

The context is that Bergevin has been saying that centers just aren't available for basically his entire tenure in Montreal.

The Staal dig is unfair, but this isn't a one year thing.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Basically, Mitch Melnick absolutely roasted Marc Bergevin in their interview the other day and now the clip has mysteriously disappeared from their website. Rod Francis' (the show's producer) tweet made it very clear that they were forced to remove it.

This isn't the first time that the Habs pull a stunt like this but what makes it even more pathetic is that this comes just days after Geoff Molson promised the fans and media that they'd be more transparent and open with everyone.

The interview can still be heard here:

[

I'd recommend listening to it ASAP before the Habs get to it.

Great interview. Was a good listen. Found it pretty funny the way these guys word their questions and the tone they use really got Bergevin edgy. His answers were so snappy sometimes and showed some frustration.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It's not the radio host's job to come up with solutions. It's the GM's.

Fans don't have the ability to ask these questions, so rely on the media to do so on their behalf - I think questions about Alzner, the lack of progress on the roster, and the goaltending, are all relevant questions that should be asked of a GM who didn't do his job this year.

Not sure how that makes the radio guys less reasonable.

Should they be asked soft questions about the weather? His summer travel plans?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad