Tryamkin’s Top 125 2018 December Draft Rankings

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I have no idea what Dan Marr of the NHL Central scouting Dept is thinking having Serron Noel as an A rated player. Very ineffective. I like the size, but really doesn't use it. He's green, I get it. But not an A rated player. And it's not just this game. I have seen 3 others, and all have left me thinking the same.

Assuming you haven't seen him play very much then. His combo of size and skill is unmatched among OHL draftee's. He and McShane are on a line together and they dominate the majority of shifts. While he is still raw, Noel has incorporated a physical aspect to his game this year which was non-existent last year. Now he consistently runs over guys and will take the puck and blow by their D. He'll go higher than McShane, I bet he goes in the 1st round

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Good year if you need a defenseman. Bouchard would be a steal where you have him ranked.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Noel is big. And raw. But not an A worthy rating. My opinion. Doesnt do anything well enough. Good player. Mid second rounder.
With McShane.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Dobson deserves to be a couple spots higher.. He is rising in the rankings for a reason. Personally I would take him ahead of Woo or Merkely

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hall deserves to be on here, I’m admittedly not a fan. Jenkins and Weiss I haven’t seen too much of.

All good. I feel like Hall is flying under the radar, I know Button recently had him at #33. I’m going to try and catch a game of his soon here, would like to see him and Ellis.

Making a list like this has to be crazy... I struggle to make a top 31 even at the very end of the season, lol

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
All good. I feel like Hall is flying under the radar, I know Button recently had him at #33. I’m going to try and catch a game of his soon here, would like to see him and Ellis.

Making a list like this has to be crazy... I struggle to make a top 31 even at the very end of the season, lol
Haha, yeah I’m trying my best. When people try rocky pick out every little fault it doesn’t exactly motivate me to make more :laugh: . I’ll try to catch some games on the players you listed. Thanks.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Is your list a projection of where you think these kids will get drafted or how you think they’ll turn out in 5-10 years when their careers are in full force?

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Not answering for him but I believe it's a draft rankings list.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for posting this, as the World Juniors are approaching and we're approaching the new year it'll be interesting to see who steps up and who doesn't.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Is your list a projection of where you think these kids will get drafted or how you think they’ll turn out in 5-10 years when their careers are in full force?
It’s a rankings list. I’ve watched all of these kids at least 3 times to the point where I can rank where I think they should be right now. Will change over the year.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Thanks for posting this, as the World Juniors are approaching and we're approaching the new year it'll be interesting to see who steps up and who doesn't.
Yeah, I’m very excited for that. My January ranking will see some up and downs due to it.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
It’s a rankings list. I’ve watched all of these kids at least 3 times to the point where I can rank where I think they should be right now. Will change over the year.

Always changing, it’s what I love about scouting. Always going to be people who disagree with you but a lot of times it can come down to what night you saw these kids on. I’ve watched guys 3-4 times and never been impressed and then seen games where I’m completely in awe by them. No complaints on my end, I know what it’s like to rank guys and there’s always going to be people who disagree. Great list, keep them coming.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Always changing, it’s what I love about scouting. Always going to be people who disagree with you but a lot of times it can come down to what night you saw these kids on. I’ve watched guys 3-4 times and never been impressed and then seen games where I’m completely in awe by them. No complaints on my end, I know what it’s like to rank guys and there’s always going to be people who disagree. Great list, keep them coming.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I completely agree.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
quick question I'm wondering why you did not rank Damien Giroux? He's currently got 24 points in 28 games for Saginaw Spirits. I know his size is an issue but he's got all the tools to be a 3rd/4th rounder. In fact he's tied for 8th in ppg for players u-18 in the O above players you've ranked.

Here are some other guys I see you missed Saku Vesterinen, Caleb Everett, Cedrik Déssriseaux & Matthew Grouchy

I'd take out Malik, watching him in Sudbury time to time and he always fails to impress.

Other wise great list, good work Tryamkin as always!

EDIT: I missed Grouchy

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
McBain looked like a force for Canada in a loss to a good Russian team in WJAC.
Team east D with 4 horrible give aways.
McBain played a strong game Dinesenko played very well for Russians. He looks like a top 10 pick, McBain looks top 15. A mix of Corey Perry and Ryan's Getzlaf. Dinesenko very quick and deceptive. Impressed by both.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
quick question I'm wondering why you did not rank Damien Giroux? He's currently got 24 points in 28 games for Saginaw Spirits. I know his size is an issue but he's got all the tools to be a 3rd/4th rounder. In fact he's tied for 8th in ppg for players u-18 in the O above players you've ranked.

Here are some other guys I see you missed Saku Vesterinen, Caleb Everett, Cedrik Déssriseaux & Matthew Grouchy

I'd take out Malik, watching him in Sudbury time to time and he always fails to impress.

Other wise great list, good work Tryamkin as always!

EDIT: I missed Grouchy
Thanks man, I had Grouchy on my list last month, he didn’t impress me too much. The other guys I will definitely watch some more of. Thanks for the tips.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
McBain looked like a force for Canada in a loss to a good Russian team in WJAC.
Team east D with 4 horrible give aways.
McBain played a strong game Dinesenko played very well for Russians. He looks like a top 10 pick, McBain looks top 15. A mix of Corey Perry and Ryan's Getzlaf. Dinesenko very quick and deceptive. Impressed by both.
I’ve watched a lot of Denisenko, he’s very hot and cold. McBain has not been good in the OJHL against weak opponents but is getting better.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
McBain with a goal against Swiss in a 4-3 Canada East win. Looking strong.
US team with a couple of 2018 eligibles lose to Czech's 4-2 and will not win pool or get a bye.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Obviously there’s a lot of guys that I like in this draft but one guy that is always ranked in round 1, that is a personal favourite of mine, but I don’t think gets enough love is Jack McBain.

He’s a big kid, 6’3 200 pounds. I think he’s got a good shot and can use it. He’s not a real flashy player but he’s got good hands, battles hard, once his frame fills out he’s going to be real difficult to handle down low, I think he’s got strong two-way potential and is smart. Skating needs to improve but that’s not an issue in today’s NHL, if you’re willing to put in the work then you can become a good skater so I’m not concerned.

I get the concerns that maybe he’s not playing against the strongest competition or dominating the way a lot expected. When I project this kid out, 5-10 years down the road though I just see a kid that I think every team is going to want and possibly kicking themselves if they don’t. He’s a personal favourite of mine in this draft, I currently have him ranked in my top 10.

Reactions: Tryamkin

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Well, McBain has been a favourite of mine, but inside top 10 is aggressive. Top 20 is more realisitic. Gets penalized playing in the OJHL. Watched some games and really feel it's a harder league to play in and succeed than most can imagine. So erratic, passes everywhere, not much flow. Anyway regardless, you have to perform. If he played in Barrie on a line with Lipanov and Shvechnikov we may be talking top 10, but that's not the case.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Well, McBain has been a favourite of mine, but inside top 10 is aggressive. Top 20 is more realisitic. Gets penalized playing in the OJHL. Watched some games and really feel it's a harder league to play in and succeed than most can imagine. So erratic, passes everywhere, not much flow. Anyway regardless, you have to perform. If he played in Barrie on a line with Lipanov and Shvechnikov we may be talking top 10, but that's not the case.

I’m not talking about where he’s going to get picked though. I agree he won’t be a top 10 pick this year but in my rankings he’s a top 10 player. He’s likely a mid-to-late first selection. In 10 years time, which is what you’re trying to project, I think he’ll be a top 10 player from this class.

Really I could care less about where a guy is selected in comparison to my list, that’s what Bob McKenzie’s list is for, a projection of who the scouts think will be drafted where. My lists are about who I think will be better in their careers. The two things don’t correlate, hence why I have McBain in my top 10 but am aware that he won’t be drafted there.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Brady Tkachuk should get more love in my opinion. He's a fantastic point producer and is in a tougher league than everyone ahead of him in this draft ranking besides hughes and dahlin. Also plays a mean two-way game. I would take him 4th oa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad